Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jorhett
Topic Author

List view for folders + files on Media Player

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 am

I have a new Roku 3 and have installed the Roku Media Player channel. I like it, the playback works fine with three different DLNA servers I have in the house. (the main one is Plex)

The major problem for me is the flattened, sideways display of titles. I have thousands of files in dozens of folders. I don't actually care for preview or thumbnails, I would really much rather see a folder/file display list.

Am I missing something? Is there a different DLNA player which would give me the file list view?

GameCrusader

Re: List view for folders + files on Media Player

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:20 pm

I always wanted the same thing. Hopefully someday.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74908

bwaldron

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm

I'd also love to see this.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 am

This is on our the list of enhancements for RMP.

GameCrusader

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:38 am

Awesome! Please let us know when you do and I will be replacing all my WD TV Live players!

GameCrusader

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:31 am

Hey RokuDale,

take a good look at Kodi (if you are not already). When it comes to the layout they do probably one of the best jobs in terms of options.

jeer232002

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:18 pm

RokuDale wrote:
This is on our the list of enhancements for RMP.

I must say I love roku media player . I was using ps3 media sever-before hand and roku is much better I love the cover art for folders and mp4 files
Any update on this on this tho?
. been 8 months :)-

hugs :)

GameCrusader

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:43 pm

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will finally update the Media Player app for the Roku 4!?

jeer232002

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:53 am

GameCrusader wrote:
Maybe we'll get lucky and they will finally update the Media Player app for the Roku 4!?

Ya lets hope .. a view system and a tv volume bottom is all I wish the roku had other then that . I LOVE YOU ROKU

CAdestiny

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Would love to see a list view option available--especially when viewing the streaming content on my media server. I have WAY too many titles to easily view using the current thumbnail previews. Hope this feature/option makes an appearance soon...

It would also be great to have that option for streaming services as well, but less important to me.

As the new (and first-time) owner of a 2015 Roku 2, this is my biggest current critique. Otherwise, I think it's great!

unknownsoldierx

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Is this feature still being worked on?

I just bought a Roku 1 to stream files form my NAS to an older TV. Even on a newer, large, LCD TV, the the RMP is terrible. The thumbnail view is clunky and makes it time consuming to find a show/episode.

There should be an option for a list of folders and files that you can quickly scroll through.

As it is, I consider the RMP practically unusable. I like the device otherwise, but I may have to return it.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:01 pm

A new version went out awhile ago that, although it doesn't give you a listview, it no longer puts 50 posters in a row requiring you to scroll left and right to see what your missing before scrolling up and down.
Now you just get the 4 posters on a row and you can just scroll down and see them all. Once you get to the row with the media you want you can then scroll left/right to pick it.
Also we added the balloon popup which will show more of the filename, in case the filename gets truncated in the grid view.
You can look at various options by pressing "*" on the Help poster.
You can also tell it to skip the initial filter screen so you can go direct to the device picking screen.
I know we'd all like to see an optional listview. That is still on the wish list.
rokudale

GameCrusader

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:10 pm

RokuDale wrote:
A new version went out awhile ago that, although it doesn't give you a listview, it no longer puts 50 posters in a row requiring you to scroll left and right to see what your missing before scrolling up and down.
Now you just get the 4 posters on a row and you can just scroll down and see them all. Once you get to the row with the media you want you can then scroll left/right to pick it.
Also we added the balloon popup which will show more of the filename, in case the filename gets truncated in the grid view.
You can look at various options by pressing "*" on the Help poster.
You can also tell it to skip the initial filter screen so you can go direct to the device picking screen.
I know we'd all like to see an optional listview. That is still on the wish list.
rokudale

Interesting.....sounds like things are coming along. I'm glad to see the improvements!

DL777

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:22 am

I tried ROKU but could not get past the huge tiles.  I have a thousand titles on MP4 in multiple folders and could not navigate.  I continue to use my Sony BDP-S480 bluray player's built in DNLA capability.  It gives me folder view and is pretty fast to move around.  It can not do casting from YouTube on computers though.  I am looking to get a newer Sony that can.  Hopefully the MP4 playback performance is as good on newer devices.  I use Serviio on my Windows 10 PC for providing the MP4 files.  I find the remote capability on the Sony is better than presenting directly to my projector from the PC.  

unknownsoldierx

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 am

Any news on this?