Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thehip
Topic Author

New user question about pay channels

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm

I just set myself up (Roku 3) and added some channels, my question is, how do i know which channels are free and which ones I will be charged for? I want to add channels at will and not worry that two months down the line I will have a charge on my account because it was not really 'free'. Or is there some sort of notice or email a user gets when a free channel trial ends or changes from free to paid? Sorry for the rookie question.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New user question about pay channels

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Pin protect your Roku account and the box won't let you (or anybody else) add a pay channel without entering your number.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

catastrophegirl

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 pm

as far as i have seen in my collecting of channels, channels with a free trial and a charge later are going to be paid through the content owner's website, for which you will have to register and enter a payment method. if a channel is paid for on the roku via the payment method on file on the roku account, it happens right then and tells you about it.
also, as k8pql says, set up a PIN on your roku.com account. you can choose whether the PIN will be used for adding ANY channels or just PAID channels.
you also have the option of removing your method of payment from your roku account after linking the roku and then you won't have any chance of accidental charges, even if ninjas broke into your house, turned on the tv/roku and figured out your PIN.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

Basil

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:08 pm

thehip wrote:
I just set myself up (Roku 3) and added some channels, my question is, how do i know which channels are free and which ones I will be charged for? I want to add channels at will and not worry that two months down the line I will have a charge on my account because it was not really 'free'. Or is there some sort of notice or email a user gets when a free channel trial ends or changes from free to paid? Sorry for the rookie question.

One other thing, in addition to what's been said above: When you look at the description of the channel, look for wording like "additional fees may apply." That means there's probably a subscription. While you may not be charged to add the channel to your Roku, you may have to pay to use it, or keep using it (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc). That's what the "additional fees may apply" thing means.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

catastrophegirl

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Basil wrote:
One other thing, in addition to what's been said above: When you look at the description of the channel, look for wording like "additional fees may apply." That means there's probably a subscription. While you may not be charged to add the channel to your Roku, you may have to pay to use it, or keep using it (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc). That's what the "additional fees may apply" thing means.

yes, and there are a few channels with some free and some paid content also, so "additional fees may apply" could refer to a subscription, or it could refer to getting free ad supported content vs paid ad-free content, or like the history channel, a few free episodes until you sign in with your (if you have one) cable provider's info.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless