Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
roaringelbow
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:55 pm

So heres the deal, Im looking into a Roku box in order to stream the WWE Network when it launches next month(please keep your sweaty men in tights jokes to yourself). I dont want to stare at my iPhone, nor do I want to sit at my desktop all day, so I need a better way to stream. I figured a Roku HD would be good enough, and its hard to argue w/ that price, but Im reading that the wifi is inferior on that model and the HD is really more for casual use. The wifi in the room Ill be watching in is pretty good. the Netflix on my Wii U works fine, but has ducked out a handful of times. But I sometimes struggle w/ the Hulu Plus on the same device, sometimes not being able to watch anything at all. That worries me Ill struggle w/streaming on the HD. Is it really worth the upgrade to the 2 or 3 if Im really only going to be using it for one thing?(although the one thing Ill be watching pretty frequently), because the jump in price is pretty drastic.
Thanks for your help.
 
Geras
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Spring City TN

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 pm

As far as the WiFi goes I would say it is as good as it needs to be and, mostly, works quite well. The HD, or just about and other Roku, is fine for everyday use. In fact it is one of the best, if not the best, of the streaming boxes.

As far as the WWE Network they (the WWE) would have to make a channel for the Roku but should they do so and if they create a good one the Roku should be about as good as it gets for display.

Remember that Roku does not generally create channels so the content owner must see to that side of the equation.
Roku 3 (4200X) & 2 (3100X)
"Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of demons."
Aldous Huxley
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 pm

OP, note that the HD is a discontinued model, if that sort of thing matters to you.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
dssonic
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:14 pm

WWE is definitely releasing a channel for Roku (see link) but I'm not sure if it's compatible with all Rokus or just newer ones. You say you are buying a Roku HD, do you mean a Roku 2 HD (released 2011) or a Roku 2 (released 2013)? Both of these should definitely get the channel but if you truly mean a Roku HD, these are older devices and many newer channels are not compatible. I would recommend getting the lowest-end current generation model, the Roku LT, which costs $50.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the- ... twork.html
 
dssonic
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:17 pm

Update - on Roku's website right now (1/29/2014) the Roku 1 is currently $10 off and selling for $50, the same price as the LT - if you are ready to buy right now get the Roku 1 over the LT.
http://www.roku.com/products/compare
 
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:49 pm

several of the newer channels are not compatible with older roku models.
based on my experience stalking channels in development, i would actually recommend waiting for the channel to exist before purchasing. then you will know which models it would be compatible with.
plus, i often see delays with channel release dates
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
 
SimpleMinded
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:
several of the newer channels are not compatible with older roku models.
based on my experience stalking channels in development, i would actually recommend waiting for the channel to exist before purchasing. then you will know which models it would be compatible with.
plus, i often see delays with channel release dates

Could you please list the channels that only work with the R3?
 
roaringelbow
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:07 pm

For the record the Roku HD I was looking at was the refurbished $40 ones on Amazon. I guess spending $50 on the Roku 1 doesn't sound so bad. But it sounds like I should wait until the WWE Network releases to see which Roku boxes it's compatable w/
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:26 pm

sounds like I should wait until the WWE Network releases

If that's all you want it for, I'd wait if I were you.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
dssonic
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:18 pm

roaringelbow wrote:
For the record the Roku HD I was looking at was the refurbished $40 ones on Amazon. I guess spending $50 on the Roku 1 doesn't sound so bad. But it sounds like I should wait until the WWE Network releases to see which Roku boxes it's compatable w/


The only reason to buy now would be to get the $10 off the Roku 1. Regardless of whether you buy now or later, I would recommend spending the extra $10 for a current-generation model - better performance and it will be supported longer.
 
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5125
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:37 pm

roaringelbow wrote:
For the record the Roku HD I was looking at was the refurbished $40 ones on Amazon. I guess spending $50 on the Roku 1 doesn't sound so bad. But it sounds like I should wait until the WWE Network releases to see which Roku boxes it's compatable w/

Yes, if that is the primary reason, wait until the app/channel is out and people have used it. You'll then know what models it works with, and how well. But, as others mentioned, I'd get a current model.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
 
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:12 pm

SimpleMinded wrote:
catastrophegirl wrote:
several of the newer channels are not compatible with older roku models.
based on my experience stalking channels in development, i would actually recommend waiting for the channel to exist before purchasing. then you will know which models it would be compatible with.
plus, i often see delays with channel release dates

Could you please list the channels that only work with the R3?


currently i only know of youtube being roku 3 only
i have over 50 channels listed as being available on roku 2 and roku 3 only
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata. ... 203%20only

edit:
i looked at the amazon listing for refurbished roku HD models and appears that what they are selling for $40 is the HD with the purple base. i have never owned one and i am having trouble confirming whether it can play roku 2/3 only channels.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
 
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm

roaringelbow wrote:
For the record the Roku HD I was looking at was the refurbished $40 ones on Amazon. I guess spending $50 on the Roku 1 doesn't sound so bad. But it sounds like I should wait until the WWE Network releases to see which Roku boxes it's compatable w/

i double checked the one amazon is selling and the model number is the 2500 series. from what i can tell (i had to use wikipedia) the 2500 series is NOT a roku 2 - i could be wrong.
but there's a good chance that model will not be compatible with a lot of the newer channels as they become available.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
 
SimpleMinded
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:
SimpleMinded wrote:
catastrophegirl wrote:
several of the newer channels are not compatible with older roku models.
based on my experience stalking channels in development, i would actually recommend waiting for the channel to exist before purchasing. then you will know which models it would be compatible with.
plus, i often see delays with channel release dates

Could you please list the channels that only work with the R3?


currently i only know of youtube being roku 3 only
i have over 50 channels listed as being available on roku 2 and roku 3 only
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata. ... 203%20only

edit:
i looked at the amazon listing for refurbished roku HD models and appears that what they are selling for $40 is the HD with the purple base. i have never owned one and i am having trouble confirming whether it can play roku 2/3 only channels.

I think there's an angry birds game that is r3 only too. thanks.
 
roaringelbow
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Looking to buy for specific reason, NEED HELP

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've had some people suggest I look into the Chromecast also? But I'm still leaning towards the Roku. Anyways I'll be back after the WWE Network releases to see which of you guys can get it

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests