Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

PinkUnicorn
Topic Author

Search not working on PBS channel?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:35 am

I just added the PBS channel to my roku 1 and I'm pleasantly surprised by what's available.
However, one thing that doesn't seem to work properly for me is the search function.
Under e.g."Staff Picks" and "Expiring Soon" I see episodes of Sherlock, Downton Abbey, newshour etc.
But if I enter e.g. "sherlock" (or "newshour" or "downton") into the search function it doesn't
find anything.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.
Last edited by PinkUnicorn on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phrenetic

Re: Search not wokring on PBS channel?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 am

I know that in the case of Downton Abbey, it's listed under "Masterpiece". Probably the same for Sherlock Holmes.

catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Search not wokring on PBS channel?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 pm

i find sherlock on mine using the search function, but it may relate to your roku being linked to your local pbs station. i think it's the * key that brings up the menu inside the pbs channel that will let you link to a different pbs station (pretty sure it's by zip code, so pick one out in advance by looking it up online) and that might give you more options to search for.
this is a best guess solution, and i'm not sure that's what the issue even is for you- basing this on a twitter conversation i had with another user and what worked for her
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

PinkUnicorn
Topic Author

Re: Search not working on PBS channel?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I do have mine linked to (one of) my local stations.
Doing a search for "masterpiece" (thanks) does indeed bring up programs including Sherlock and Downton.
But it does seem broken if one can't search directly for just e.g. "sherlock"...

FWIW, I am using a logitech Harmony 650 rather than the roku remote, but that couldn't
affect anything surely?

catastrophegirl

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 pm

i can search my pbs roku channel for "sherlock" and it gives me sherlock. what i meant was, your local pbs station may have it tagged or identified or however they do it under "masterpiece" and not under "sherlock"
the other person i talked to found that sherlock was not in their local pbs station's staff picks. if your roku channel is pulling from another "local" station, their selections may be set up differently.
but i could be very wrong, as i have just the one experience to go on
wireless

PinkUnicorn
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 am

catastrophegirl wrote:
i can search my pbs roku channel for "sherlock" and it gives me sherlock. what i meant was, your local pbs station may have it tagged or identified or however they do it under "masterpiece" and not under "sherlock"
the other person i talked to found that sherlock was not in their local pbs station's staff picks. if your roku channel is pulling from another "local" station, their selections may be set up differently.

I changed my local channel from WETA to MPT and got the same result.
If I search for sherlock I get two results: "How Sherlock Changed the World" and "Unlocking Sherlock", but not the current series.
Weird!

catastrophegirl

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:28 am

i hadn't checked it since the first episode was released, so i double checked last night on my roku2 xs and my roku3 - now i get the same results when i search just "sherlock" - no episodes, only the specials
wireless