Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

OakIris
Topic Author

Connecting Roku to Denon AVR-3801ci

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:31 pm

I just received my Roku 3 device, but I can't get it to work with my set up - probably because I don't know what I am doing. :oops:

I have an older, but not ancient, receiver, a Denon 3801ci. I have my DirecTV box and Denon blu ray player hooked up to it via HDMI cables so that it controls the output to the TV and my speakers; everything works as it should. I thought I could just connect the Roku to it as well, as opposed to connecting the Roku directly to the TV - I certainly don't want to watch movies with the only audio coming from my TV speakers and no video coding done by the Roku, but..... I connected the Roku, turned on the TV, went through all the source selections on my receiver, but nothing was displayed indicating that it was communicating with the Roku - there is supposed to be some sort of message from Roku and then you can set up your network, etc., but the TV screen display remains blank.

I did lots of searching online, but can't find any information about how to hook up the Denon and Roku - or any receiver and Roku, for that matter, so I thought I would post here.

What am I missing? Is my receiver too old and it just won't work with the Roku? If anyone can help me with this, I would much appreciate it.

I thought this would be so simple; apparently, that's what I get for thinking. :(

Holly

twiceover

Re: Connecting Roku to Denon AVR-3801ci

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Its just HDMI, there's nothing special. Try replacing one of your known good connections, like the blu ray player, with the Roku to be sure it isn't something funky with the port you were trying g to use.

OakIris
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Thank you for your response, twiceover. I will try that and also try a different HDMI cable - the one I used is brand new, but.....

Holly

OakIris
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:22 pm

I did switch cables - and the Roku display showed up. I switched back to the original cable, and everything was still working. lol I think maybe I didn't wait long enough for the Roku setup screen to open, but I don't really know for sure. Anyway, all is well now, the Denon receiver works just fine with the Roku, and the rest of the installation/set up went without a glitch.

It really is a quite simple set up, when you don't decide to go into panic mode!

Holly

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 pm

OakIris wrote:
It really is a quite simple set up, when you don't decide to go into panic mode!

Roku should print that on the box. :lol:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

fbc062875

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:10 pm

I just got a roku that i need to hookup to my Denon3808ci avr. I have directv and a bluray player already connected and can't find a working hdmi on the back that works. If i disconnect the bluray and use its connection roku works. I would like to have all 3 devices go through the Denon. Which HDMI should I use?

atc98092

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:50 pm

fbc062875 wrote:
I just got a roku that i need to hookup to my Denon3808ci avr. I have directv and a bluray player already connected and can't find a working hdmi on the back that works. If i disconnect the bluray and use its connection roku works. I would like to have all 3 devices go through the Denon. Which HDMI should I use?

This thread is 5 years old, so it will be locked by the admins tomorrow morning. Your AVR is 9 years old, and only support HDMI 1.3a, so don't expect it to support 4K. But it has four HDMI in ports, so you should have no issue connecting three devices. But if you only have two working HDMI connections, then you really only have two options. One is an external HDMI switcher. However, Roku players seem sensitive to those devices and don't always work, and Roku officially offers no support for them. Your other option is to replace your AVR. Yes, it was a highly capable AVR when new, but for today's 4K world, it is sorely lacking. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuTannerD

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:09 pm

[Closing this topic] 

Thanks for the note here. As @atc98092 mentioned, please see the Roku Forum Guidelines for posting here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38665

If you still need additional help or have any other questions, please feel free to create a new topic for your inquiry. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager