Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tfudali
Topic Author

channels advertised not available

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 am

No channels advertised are available, example fox, ABC, cnn, HBOgo,amazon etc. What a disappointment, nothing but old crappy movies. No network TV channels, crackle works, if you like watching commercials Evey 10 minutes. This is one disappointed customer.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: channels advertised not available

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am

tfudali wrote:
No channels advertised are available, example fox, ABC, cnn, HBOgo,amazon etc. What a disappointment, nothing but old crappy movies. No network TV channels, crackle works, if you like watching commercials Evey 10 minutes. This is one disappointed customer.

Where do you live? Different channels are available in different regions.

tfudali
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am

Canada

kc8pql

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 am

No set top box is a one to one replacement for cable, if that's what you were expecting.
Streaming is mostly on demand watching, and generally, like life, there's no free lunch...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

thetick

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 am

tfudali wrote:

FoxNow works fine.
ABC was never advertised... please provide evidence ABC was advertised.
CNN International works fine.
HBOGo works fine.
Amazon instant video works fine.

Sounds like you just need to educate yourself concerning what is actually offered.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

TheEndless

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 am

thetick wrote:
tfudali wrote:

FoxNow works fine.
HBOGo works fine.

Sounds like you just need to educate yourself concerning what is actually offered.

The OP is in Canada, where most of those channels probably aren't available. Sounds like he/she is looking at US targetted advertising and expecting the same to be available in Canada. Unfortunately, the Canadian Roku site (http://www.roku.ca) doesn't appear to have a channel store browsing option, so I'm not sure how you'd know what channels were available prior to purchase...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

joed32

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 am

thetick wrote:
tfudali wrote:

FoxNow works fine.
HBOGo works fine.

I just got CNN International earlier this week and it doesn't work at all.

theuser86

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:07 am

The CRTC sucks - no ABC, NBC, etc in Canada. This is no surprise. No Pandora either, even Netflix here sucks.

catastrophegirl

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 am

TheEndless wrote:
Unfortunately, the Canadian Roku site (http://www.roku.ca) doesn't appear to have a channel store browsing option, so I'm not sure how you'd know what channels were available prior to purchase...

i haven't been able to clarify a lot of the canadian availability. but if it's possible to create a roku account without linking it to a roku box (say, prior to purchase) if you enter a channel by its code in the private channel section, it will tell you if it's available in your area or not. not all of the codes are known of course, but a whole bunch of them are
might be worth a try
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

Basil

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 am

catastrophegirl wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
Unfortunately, the Canadian Roku site (http://www.roku.ca) doesn't appear to have a channel store browsing option, so I'm not sure how you'd know what channels were available prior to purchase...

i haven't been able to clarify a lot of the canadian availability. but if it's possible to create a roku account without linking it to a roku box (say, prior to purchase) if you enter a channel by its code in the private channel section, it will tell you if it's available in your area or not. not all of the codes are known of course, but a whole bunch of them are
might be worth a try

This really is something that Roku should be able to address, and in a user-friendly way. Not much shows on the Canadian What's On page. If that's it, then there's no wonder there's no Canadian Channel Store.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

BradC

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Basil wrote:
there's no wonder there's no Canadian Channel Store.

There's got to be a Canadian Channel store, when you publish a channel, canada is one of the options to include. :D

I'd imagine any differences between Canada and US would be due to laws affecting content providers, something Roku certainly has no control over.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦