Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FilmOnTV
Topic Author

FilmOnTV is back on Roku!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Good news!!! Roku box owners can now add the FilmOn app with this code: https://owner.roku.com/add/WM6BC

thetick

Re: FilmOnTV is back on Roku!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Who needs Aereo when FilmOn is free. I can't see this channel lasting very long.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

mhcannes

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 am

Any chance of a version available to the UK?

iptvrules

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks for the heads up! Was watching FilmOnTV using a Plex channel.

I read just the other day that FilmOnTV recently purchased a massive library of classic movies and television..

http://www.filmon.com/news/15665-filmon ... television

Rock on FilmOnTV !!!

vnazario

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:23 am

I am really happy to see FilmOn again available for Roku. FilmOn is probably one of my favorite streaming sources from my other devices. Let's just hope it remains available and not get yanked by Roku like in the past. Look forward to enjoying FilmOn on my Roku's for a long time.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

scottypie1234

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

Why was it yanked? It does look a little pirate-y to me ...

vnazario

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am

For that exact reason. Because FO is streaming National US and UK broadcast TV and it violates TOS regarding content. However, I remember reading somewhere (awhile back) that unlike Aereo, FilmOn has been paying re-broadcasting fees that they weren't before. If this is the case, it should be OK and Roku would have no problems keeping the channel but I don't really know about FilmOn's new/present standing with Roku.

All I know is that I really like this channel and would like to see it stay this time on Roku and not depend on my other streaming devices to view FilmOn.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

iptvrules

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am

For some reason FilmOnTV channel on the Roku has blurry channel icons. The Plex FilmOnTV channel the channel icons are perfectly clear and not blurry at all. Just a minor gripe :)

You can purchase a FilmOnTV subscription which they say has the FilmOnTV channels in HD or at least some of them.

http://www.filmon.com/subscriptions

Big dollars behind FilmOnTV

http://www.digitalspy.com/media/news/a4 ... KyyEXXsplH

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm wondering if all "i"s are dotted and the "t"s are crossed, why is it a private channel.
I don't think I'd spend money on a subscription for Roku quite yet...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

vnazario

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 pm

My guess is that they are opting for the Private channel route like the Aereo channel. Having a private channel gives them a bit more "control" than going public with an official channel.

Isn't the "timing" of this channel re-appearing a bit odd? I suppose that if Aereo wins their court-case, FilmOn is "on the ready" to provide their competing service. I guess we'll see how this all unfolds. Stay tuned!
vnazario

iptvrules

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm

@kc8pql SkitterTV.com and other subscription services such as FilmOnTV use private channels on Roku. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I have skittertv.com national channels which has wealthTV and One America News Network along with other channels for $5 a month. FilmOnTV has One America News Network and is supposed to have WealthTV but don't see that in FilmOnTV channel line up.

iptvrules

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Just saw on FoxNews (via USTVNOW) that Amazon made a deal with HBO for a bunch of content. I think the cat is out of the bag. Regardless of Aereo decision the momentum is with iptv and not with the old cable TV model.

vnazario

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

That's great but content deals come and go. They acquired HBO content but lost HGTV, Food, Travel, Cooking and DIY network content. You still have to do research and weigh-in as to what streaming provider(s) have the content you want to watch. For example TNT only available for Prime members but not AMC if you are "A Walking Dead" fan (like I am).

BTW the Food Network shows can be seen for free via PLEX. However, you must subscribe to Amazon Prime for Turner content and AMC stuff not available yet (except Netflix) for older seasons. If you must watch current seasons via streaming you have no choice but to use XBMC or other plug-ins that give you access to content via file-sharing methods or via computer or mobile AMC app that requires cable sub authentication.
vnazario

iptvrules

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 pm

"You still have to do research and weigh-in as to what streaming provider(s) have the content you want to watch."

Better then having a cable tv operation move channels to a more expensive tier with no options. At least this way you can pick and choose and get what you want. :)

FilmOnTV has food channels as well.

vnazario

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm

iptvrules wrote:
"You still have to do research and weigh-in as to what streaming provider(s) have the content you want to watch."

Better then having a cable tv operation move channels to a more expensive tier with no options. At least this way you can pick and choose and get what you want. :)

FilmOnTV has food channels as well.

You are 100% correct in that you have more control in choosing providers than to let Cable Co's shuffle things around. $40 per month for the "Big 3" and an antenna is still less than that of paying a cable company that will offer everything you want (plus another ton of channels you don't watch).

About the food channels, I was talking about the Food Network channels (HGTV, DIY, Food, Cooking, Travel). There are many alternative content available for Roku but those fans of say "House Hunters" were certainly disappointed when they were dropped by Amazon Prime. Just saying that you can still view all the FN content via PLEX.
vnazario