Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

shadoecat

Re: FilmOnTV is back on Roku!

Wed May 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Least I still get Nowhere TV, JustinTV, and the National package of SkitterTV.

candita

Thu May 08, 2014 6:15 am

I dont know what you guys are doing but my filmon channel works just fine. I watched it last night till I went to sleep. I tried several of the stations & they all worked.

Dick Drivel

Thu May 08, 2014 7:13 am

candita wrote:
I dont know what you guys are doing but my filmon channel works just fine. I watched it last night till I went to sleep. I tried several of the stations & they all worked.

The problem is not whether or not it works, but what they offer. Most of us who had access to their old app several years ago are now dissappointed with the current line-up. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to have it on Roku again just the same.

resengen

Thu May 08, 2014 9:42 am

Also when the App was first republished it had live local station networks from NY and Boston. Those are now taken down.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS
Roku LT
Roku XD
Slingbox SOLO

Dick Drivel

Thu May 08, 2014 11:50 am

resengen wrote:
Also when the App was first republished it had live local station networks from NY and Boston. Those are now taken down.

Right. But there used to be all sorts of international stations, now it seems that FO has gotten rid of all the channels that might cause copyright concerns for Roku. Presumably FilmOn will offer some kind of subscription service at some point in the future. I know for a fact that in Europe you can watch all the live TV channels from the UK including the 4 BBC stations for free on the FO website, in addition to dozens of live TV stations from other countries - we can only dream of that here.

vnazario

Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello:

Granted, the FilmOn channel has been "stripped down" to comply with Roku's TOS but there is still a lot of decent content to view that wasn't available to Roku before. I myself enjoy all the MMA and Indie Wrestling stuff, the documentaries, the bikini stuff, movies and kids channels. So not all is bad.

What I don't get is why is it OK for Roku to accept channels that offer Live Locals with a paid subscription (Nimble, Skitter, Aereo, USTVNow) but not one that offers it free like FO? You can argue that FO doesn't pay re-transmission fee's but then again we all know Aereo doesn't and we don't know if Skitter, USTVNow or Nimble pay or not these fees. Maybe if FO charges a subscription it would be OK to access Live Local with cloud DVR over Roku. But we don't know what TOS Roku has with FO at this time.

I am still happy with the added content and maybe this "stripped-down" version of the FO Roku channel is here to stay and not be taken down on a whim by Roku like in the past.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm

What I don't get is why is it OK for Roku to accept channels that offer Live Locals with a paid subscription

Contrary to popular belief, Roku isn't a copyright cop. They don't go looking for infringing private channels. The problem
starts when copyright owners make a complaint about a private channel. Then Roku has no choice but to act.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

CyberFox

Thu May 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Is FilmOnTV worth it?
I mean you need to subscribe just to DVR content from their channels

vnazario

Thu May 08, 2014 7:52 pm

CyberFox wrote:
Is FilmOnTV worth it?
I mean you need to subscribe just to DVR content from their channels

On Roku you currently get just the free "allowed" streams. No subscription and no DVR and less channels/content than from their website. But you can subscribe to their service and watch and record to their cloud DVR service but you must watch on web-browser enabled devices or XBMC FO plugin current version that allows to access your account and DVR recordings. Older versions of the FO plugin just allow you to watch their streams and podcasts. It works great on GoogleTV/Android TV devices, tablets and computers. Or via devices that support XBMC like the Raspberry Pi and G-Box Android XBMC box with the most recent version of FO plugin if you want to access your account/recordings.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Dick Drivel

Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 am

kc8pql wrote:
What I don't get is why is it OK for Roku to accept channels that offer Live Locals with a paid subscription

Contrary to popular belief, Roku isn't a copyright cop. They don't go looking for infringing private channels. The problem
starts when copyright owners make a complaint about a private channel. Then Roku has no choice but to act.

How could you possibly know what Roku must and must not do? I would rather that statements such as these come for official sources.

knuckle

Fri May 09, 2014 4:21 am

Mr Drivel,

this is a quote from RokuPatrick after video buzz was shut down

Re: Goodbye VideoBuzz - And Thanks

Postby RokuPatrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:34 am
There's been a fair bit of speculation about VideoBuzz and the reason it is being deactivated. I want to take a moment to elaborate:

Every developer agrees to abide by the terms of the Roku developer agreement when creating a developer account. Among the requirements in the agreement, we require that every channel publisher must have the appropriate rights or permission to distribute the content within their channel through Roku. Other requirements include written authorization is required for channels with international or foreign language content. Channels that violate the developer agreement are subject to deactivation, though typically we do give them a chance to come back into compliance (or prove they are not violating it) before acting on it — we do realize that it can be a complicated world when it comes to rights for content. Sometimes we're made aware of channels through formal notices (e.g. DMCA takedown notices or cease and desist notices) and other times we are notified more informally. Since we respect all content owners’ rights, we have to take each notification seriously and explore it for violation. Regarding VideoBuzz specifically, we don't believe that today a Roku channel can stream from YouTube without violating YouTube's terms of service (at least specifically section II paragraph 14 of the YouTube Developer TOS).

I hope this helps.

Patrick
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

vnazario

Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 am

Hi:

Thanks knuckle for providing DD with the official TOS clarification. My comments were based on experience of having gone through all 4 versions of FilmOn on Roku and other great channels that have come and gone from Roku like: My DVD Trader, My Channels, Classic TV, Mummy Box, Giniko, etc. that have offered "main stream" or international content without proper authorization from content owners. In the case of international content, Roku takes them down due to their exclusive agreement Roku has with DishWorld and/or those channels-content that are being provided despite geoblocking regional access outside authorized markets.
vnazario

kc8pql

Fri May 09, 2014 6:40 am

flower Drivel wrote:
How could you possibly know what Roku must and must not do?

Ahhh, because I can read...
The post above is not the only one either. Roku has explained their position a number of times.
This one explains exactly how they handle copyright infringement complaints:
http://www.roku.com/about/dmca
and this is why they care:
RokuPatrick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:45 pm
Hi everyone,
While we understand that many of you are excited about a PlayOn-compatible Channel and may be using it, it unfortunately presents the possibility of legal exposure for us. As a result, the current PlayOn channels have been removed and are no longer available to add to your Roku player.
Patrick
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dick Drivel

Fri May 09, 2014 8:19 am

So we don't have to ask Roku about anything, as you will explain their position form them.

kc8pql

Fri May 09, 2014 8:22 am

No, apparently you just need to learn how to read for yourself.