Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikeyts
Topic Author

YouTube Availability on All 2nd and 3rd Gen Rokus Announced

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2014/04/22/yo ... n-devices/

Let the bellyaching about the lack of a YouTube channel cease (except maybe from 1st gen Roku users) and the bellyaching about the shortcomings of the new YouTube channel begin :mrgreen:!

Elijah_Baley

Re: YouTube Availability on All 2nd and 3rd Gen Rokus Announ

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm

mikeyts wrote:
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2014/04/22/youtube-update-channel-now-available-to-all-current-generation-devices/

Let the bellyaching about the lack of a YouTube channel cease (except maybe from 1st gen Roku users) and the bellyaching about the shortcomings of the new YouTube channel begin :mrgreen:!

Already in progress:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68695&p=438621#p438621
And:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69134&start=15
And probably a few other threads.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikeyts
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:19 pm

I knew of those threads, but I thought that I'd post the official announcement as a top topic.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:59 pm

mikeyts wrote:
I knew of those threads, but I thought that I'd post the official announcement as a top topic.

My point, poorly formed I guess, :oops: was that the "complaining" has already started.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

kbd48

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 pm

At first my Roku HD crashed when trying to load the new Youtube channel, but it loaded the second time and I got signed into my account, so far so good :-)
If this had come a few days earlier I probably would not have bought a Chromecast over the weekend, but better to have lots of options than none :-)
Thanks for getting the channel to us Roku!

theoldguy

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 pm

can we get some real help using the remote that came with my roku2 to operate videos.
after a bit of struggle I was somehow able to start to operate the menu line under the screen and was happy to find that captions are available. But how to bring the menu line up when the video is running is not clear. Also the choices of content is appallingly hard to get to since it seems to involve scrolling through the endless side menus and finding what you want. I eventually got to my playlists, but how do I get the play all button to hit. I am a first generation early adapter and have used the version of you tube originally set up by Chris.
J appreciate the expanded content, but wonder if the roku remote is the best choice to operate the service.

You Tube does not deal with any of this on their help page.
Will it be possible to turn on the translations of foreign captions.
thanks for any help in advance.

mikeyts
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 pm

My 2XS took the update yesterday (I loaned it to my housemate so I couldn't check until now). It installed YouTube because it's on my Roku 3. It works surprisingly well on the3 2XS; takes a little while to start up but it's a lot more responsive to commands than I thought it would be.

The 2XS is not showing in the YouTube Android app as a casting target, at least not with YouTube not running. My Roku 3 shows up and YouTube's not running on it either.

bvd1022

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 pm

mikeyts wrote:
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2014/04/22/youtube-update-channel-now-available-to-all-current-generation-devices/

The only problem I have been having with YT is with the autoplay feature. It will play one video in a playlist and then will either come up with buffering or with a video playback error message. Beyond that it runs smoothly. Hope they can fix that problem.

wingrider

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

Hurray YT loaded and played with first try on my XS 2, rounds out the Roku nicely.

ACraigo

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:22 am

bvd1022 wrote:
mikeyts wrote:

The only problem I have been having with YT is with the autoplay feature. It will play one video in a playlist and then will either come up with buffering or with a video playback error message. Beyond that it runs smoothly. Hope they can fix that problem.

Right... so just to get this complainathon going - how to disable autoplay in the Roku app? At my advanced age I am just as likely to fall asleep while viewing something as I am to open my window to yell at kids on my lawn. Yelling at kids doesn't cost bandwidth, subliminal advertising being pumped into my resting brain while I sleep does. If there is no way to disable autoplay for my own playlists from within the Roku app then I would like the team of developers to drop by my place so I can smack them across the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

Elijah_Baley

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 am

ACraigo wrote:
...If there is no way to disable autoplay for my own playlists from within the Roku app then I would like the team of developers to drop by my place so I can smack them across the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Flashes to an old Cheech and Chong skit "... bailiff, whack his ..." :) 8)

ACraigo

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 am

Exactly... since you didn't respond with an answer I have to assume there isn't one yet and that's what happens when you let 10 year olds design your channel apps.

In that case change rolled up newspaper to the New York Times wrapped around a lead pipe. Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

stutch13

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 am

Ok my turn.. I loaded the channel in discussion here the super secret no more YouTube hush hush they're talking about another way to get YouTube lock the thread channel.. And I like it.. My complaint is it moves about slowly from one channel to another but is better than nothing if nothing is what you have had on your roku box .. There are a few other things but I'm happy with this channel.. Best part about it is it hasn't developed the lock your box thing that most new channels seem to have built in (Yahoo screen, I'm looking at you buddy, fix yerself quickly please).. But it is quite nice.. IT'SA KEEPER..

twiceover

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 am

mikeyts wrote:
My 2XS took the update yesterday (I loaned it to my housemate so I couldn't check until now). It installed YouTube because it's on my Roku 3. It works surprisingly well on the3 2XS; takes a little while to start up but it's a lot more responsive to commands than I thought it would be.

The 2XS is not showing in the YouTube Android app as a casting target, at least not with YouTube not running. My Roku 3 shows up and YouTube's not running on it either.

I can cast to my 2XS no problem. YouTube app doesn't even have to be running.

Dick Drivel

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:01 am

No bellyaching here. Could be a bit faster, but it works fine and linked easily to my Kindle - I'm more than content (for now at least...)