Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RockYou

Re: OTA - A Discussion

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01 am

ACraigo wrote:
I would like to see your http://www.tvfool.com report...
From TV Fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 8c54dec102

I get all of the channels in green (as I should) except for the one which is actually some low-power religious channel (which is as it should be). Everything else is out of market and of no interest--just the same stuff from 90 miles or more away.

My reception with the old rabbit ears actually improved with the digital transition. Of course, that could have been due more to an improved tuner than anything to do with the antenna. Still, I only got about half the channels reliably, some not at all. The Leaf brought all of them in with seldom any problem, including the Telemundo station (which was something of a surprise [to find out there was one locally]); it was money well-spent.

ACraigo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Ok, thanks.

That is just as I expected. The stations you're getting are about 10 miles away. One is 3 miles away. That one you could get on the jack with no wire at all. Do you have trouble with paint falling off the wall, or strange rashes that look like burns? RF is re-writing your DNA as we speak. lol.

In a situation like yours I would have no problem recommending the Mohu leaf for 40 dollars, or for the 'handyman', this one made out of what's laying around the house - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw ... Here's one in 'spice rack' camo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EQRx22oqbw ...
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

ACraigo
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 pm

firedup wrote:
That's kind of funny looking for vhf -- usually they are very broad. I wonder if those loops act like really long elements.

Each leg of the driven element - on either side of the boom - for a yagi (dipole) element would be 1.3 feet... at 180Mhz. Piddly when compared to working with 17 footers, but more than you want to blue tape to your coffee table I guess.

I found an old FM folded dipole antenna - one driven element and one reflector. I'm going to have to cut it down a bit to bring it up into 180Mhz so the search for a folded dipole calculator (you'd be surprised how many of those you can find) revealed many pages of mindless reading enjoyment, but this page mentions what happens when you pair up yagi style director elements in front of a folded dipole driver element.

I won't blow your reading enjoyment with a quote, but it's very interesting and would make an antenna that looks just like that 7-13. I think a tomato stake is in my future.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/a ... dipole.php

Oh, here is one of the more interesting calculators - http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/Dipole_folded.php Thai Ham... I'll bet that's spicy...
Tony
Roku 2 HD

ACraigo
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Hey! My HBU33 arrived... LOL!

Today's continuation of the 'How To Pimp Your Entertainment Center' series is pretty self explanatory.

I did recover everything I was missing, but the HBU33 has such nice side rejection I lost the entire MHz network that transmits from the South. No problem - a few cables and a backwards splitter stacked the CM4221HD and it can be turned South, but in this pic I have all guns to bear going NE.

In short - mission accomplished.

:P
Tony
Roku 2 HD

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 pm

:roll: :lol:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

ACraigo
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 am

Yes. My priority list is quite different from just about everyone else's.

I'll update a bit as I didn't have much time yesterday...

I ordered 3 items from Amazon: The tools, 50' of quad RG6 and the HBU33. The tools and the coax showed up the next day via Prime, but Fed-EX decided it would be nice to show my package around Chicago for 3 days and by the time it got here I had an hour to spare before w#rk (nasty word).

In the picture you can see I had the antenna mounted as high on the pipe as possible, but found out early this morning that lowering the antenna enough to just clear the top of my head (unless I'm in my stiletto heels or Gene Simmons Klingon Boots) so as not to poke an eye out or something - and also to lower the antenna out of the RF black hole that is my metal roof that starts about an inch above the drywall - made the antenna perform even better. It also allowed recovery of the missing MHz network broadcasts to the South without the need to stack the two antennae... even I have a living room hardware limit.

The high NE Gable end of the house would allow an attic mount as that is the exact direction of the signals I'd most like to receive, but that will entail cutting a scuttle access and installing a scuttle port large enough for my ever widening tookas. That 100 year old MUSAK antenna mounted to the chimney has been nagging at me for some time and were I as young as I used to be there would already be an antenna and rotor there, but I'd rather fall out of a scuttle hole than off the roof. I can do pretty much what I want here - I've lived here long enough that if I asked, the landlord would let me install a uranium centrifuge in my kitchen. He likes the way I don't move and pay the rent on time.

Anyway... as the options bounce around in my head (along with those voices I keep hearing) I'm inclined to do something to get some of this hardware out of the living room. For now though... I'm having fun tinkering and seeing what I can get as Mason the cat has fun turning the antenna when I don't have those needle nosed pliers jammed in the mount acting as a cat brake. Norman the cat just watches and wonders what is wrong with us.

I did retire much of the blue tape and constructed a 'mast mount' - a hunk of oak pallet plank with a hole drilled in on top, a hunk of oak pallet plank with no hole on the bottom with an oak 'washer' fashioned for the bottom of the pipe to fit over. I had to upgrade the mount. The vision of the blue tape letting go and an HBU33 attacking me while napping was not a comfortable thought.

I can report the HBU33 performs wonderfully, turning red and yellow signals into bright green via the WMC signal display and that was the goal.

I'm certain we've not yet seen the end of this experiment. Stay tuned.
Tony
Roku 2 HD

krisbee

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

Tony, I'm sure you know what you are doing... but one thing people forget is that sometimes renting a piece of equipment for an hour is the cheapest solution - I bet you could find a dude who would rent a bucket truck or a lift for an hour or two and you wont have to climb a ladder or anything - I looked into that when I mounted my tower and it was going to be $200 - not cheap, but not bad for the headache it would have prevented. In the end, I did it brute force method, but if it is feasible, I'd check around real quick - you know up in the air is always best (if you can do it and don't live in the city limits)...

ACraigo
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:41 pm

If I wanted an antenna on the roof - it would be there.

The problem then becomes, what happens when it needs servicing? I've been messing with antennae for a long time and something always needs servicing. The higher it is, the more often it requires some kind of attention.

I do live within the city limits - smack dab in the middle of Old Town. This house has been here since the civil war and I'm completely surrounded by old homes and businesses carefully renovated in accordance with Town guidelines and enough 300 year old Oaks to build 17 miles of railroad. I'd love to erect an array worthy of those I've erected in the past. Tropo contacts from here would be great as I'm at the top of a rise once used by various artillery units to rain down hate on their brethren, but to do so would require equipment raised to a height significant enough to clear the nearby hindrances to RF. Nothing more than wishful thinking on my part, I'm afraid.

No, at my age scrambling up 40 feet of tower or across a slick metal roof are things better left to the young. My skill set includes scuttle hole installations and an antenna drop down an interior wall and if I move this antenna off the entertainment center, that's the route we're going. Peering with hate at that MUSAK antenna is kinda like your old dog growling a bit when you've tossed that stick a few more times than was really necessary.
Last edited by ACraigo on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Roku 2 HD

krisbee

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Good deal - just making sure. There are other ways mounting them on posts on the ground and then raising them, but if you can get reception indoors, not having to ground the antenna and to the service ground is always simpler... I'm 55+ miles from any tower, so outside is the only choice - but I never get rain fade - perfect reception all the time, and the best picture.

OTA is fantastic - it, plus the roku saved me a hundred a month, and now we actually take real vacations every year now with the money we saved.

firedup

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:48 pm

I just replaced the 91XG antenna on my mast outdoors with a DB8e. As expected, my signal strength dropped slightly and my signal quality dropped slightly, but symbol quality improved. Now, on a breezy, rainy day, I still get solid signal across the spectrum.

Next step is to gang the two 91XGs in my attic. That can wait until fall when the attic is a more enjoyable place to work.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com