Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario
Topic Author

Roku 2XS reboot issue-Continued

Tue May 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Shawn:

Please DO NOT lock this thread. People have the right to express their dissatisfaction of the reliability issues of the product and what "seems" as lack of support from you guys.

Even with extreme rants from user "sweller" threatening to report to BBB and trying to recruit others to follow him, longtime posters and to a degree Roku "supporters" like myself have kept neutral, tried to offer advice and help to other users experiencing same issues.

I myself rant but offer fair critiques and try to give you guys props when deserving.

Just because one guy is too extreme doesn't mean you should lock a long time thread meant to discuss issues related to the reboot issue.
Last edited by vnazario on Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku reboot issue-Continued

Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 pm

RokuShawnS » Tue May 27, 2014 4:51 pm
I don't mind a redux thread, but KEEP IT ON TOPIC, and with any updated information for Engineering to help reproduce.

That means it's OK to start another thread. Just keep it on topic. By the way, you may want to add 2XS to the thread title.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Threads that degenerate will get locked, period. I understand an occasional rant. That's fine. But when it is every single time it happens, that's where I draw the line.

The last bit of useful information that was posted in that thread was the user who posted about changing out the power supply. That was on page 13 by trekkeriii. On page 14, he responded that the reboot started again.

Not a single post after that was useful in any way.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - Keep it on topic, reduce the rants. Give me useful information to pass on to engineering.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

trekkeriii

Re: Roku 2XS reboot issue-Continued

Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 pm

I will say I have less reboots since the exchange of power supplies. I am wondering if this is one of those dual cause-same effect situations. I've had a few of those in my IT career, and they are hard to troubleshoot because you don't realize two causes are resulting same symptom. My reboots are about every 2-3 days now instead of a couple times a day. It's random. Shawn you still have my serial? I wish I could record more accurately my reboot times.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue May 27, 2014 7:35 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
I will say I have less reboots since the exchange of power supplies. I am wondering if this is one of those dual cause-same effect situations. I've had a few of those in my IT career, and they are hard to troubleshoot because you don't realize two causes are resulting same symptom. My reboots are about every 2-3 days now instead of a couple times a day. It's random. Shawn you still have my serial? I wish I could record more accurately my reboot times.

Resend me in a PM just in case. Pretty sure you're still in my spreadsheet, but I had a file corruption issue not too long ago that might have wiped it.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

knuckle

Tue May 27, 2014 7:36 pm

hey trekkeriii,

the replacement supply you are using same amperage or higher?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

trekkeriii

Tue May 27, 2014 7:58 pm

knuckle wrote:
hey trekkeriii,

the replacement supply you are using same amperage or higher?

It was an identical Power Supply. I bought it off Roku a while back for my old N1000 which had a power supply go bad. I actually compared them, same Amps, Voltage, etc.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

Grandpa

Wed May 28, 2014 7:15 am

I've been following this, and the previous, thread for a while. I have two XS boxes and they both experience this problem but on an infrequent and random basis. I have has it happen on Netflix, MLB, Aereo and Amazon streaming channels. After working fine for several years I find it difficult to believe it is anything except a software bug. I can understand the problem ROKU may have in analyzing this but it would seem that finding the software upgrade issued just before the reboots started to be reported would help.

flannery

Wed May 28, 2014 8:07 am

trekkeriii wrote:

My attempt to have less reboots by exchanging power supplies made absolutely no difference and last night it was freezing rebooting almost continuously. I really am at wit's end with this. Both my 2 XS and 2 XD are doing this now and I've swapped their power supplies and this too made no difference. Has Roku decided just to not answer anything on the 2 since the 3 is now out?

trekkeriii

Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 am

flannery wrote:
Has Roku decided just to not answer anything on the 2 since the 3 is now out?

I don't think they would be taking Serial #s and information if they were not working on it.

RokuShawnS wrote:
As it stands, Roku does not publicly comment on bugs, other than to confirm them, prior to releasing a fix. You may get more information or receive fixes earlier if you join our beta program.

This is the answer at the moment.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

IBMMuseum

Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
...The last bit of useful information that was posted in that thread was the user who posted about changing out the power supply. That was on page 13 by trekkeriii. On page 14, he responded that the reboot started again.

Not a single post after that was useful in any way.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - Keep it on topic, reduce the rants. Give me useful information to pass on to engineering.

I'm willing to also participate, from the perspective that the reboot issue as described has not affected my 2XS. No problems under 5.3, and none under 5.4 (my Streaming Stick has actually rebooted more, with a single instance). Mine (always running from the supplied wall-wart adapter, I am trying to get a USB power cable so I can run it from my ANKER supply, very stable voltage that supports higher current draw) is in a 1080p environment, third-party screensaver (time and weather), live streaming IT ProTV every weekday (which sometimes buffers quite a bit, but it is the channel).

Steve244

Thu May 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Another unhappy 2xs user. Early adopter. Have 2 first gen models that are still going strong (aside from replacing their power supplies).

My 2xs reboots several times per week. It seems almost 100% when I sit down to watch a movie. It's an embarrassment as I've been spouting the praises of weaning us off of cable TV to have this happen. This has gotten worse in the last month (5.4?) but it was bad for about the last 6 months. It's intolerable.

I've removed all but Amazon, Netflix, and Aereo as these are all we use. I don't stream from a media server or use external memory. I can appreciate the "private" channels I had may have had memory leaks or some bug but this device should log failures and phone them home. I'll report back in a week.

Roku 2XS purchased sometime around Nov 2012, serial # 13C294031895. Used wired with 1080p TV. HDMI is routed through an onkyo receiver to the Samsung flat-screen. I notice this issue mostly when viewing netflix.

JW1200

Thu May 29, 2014 8:53 pm

As of tonight both of my 2xs's are worthless. I have been rebooting my whole system since 4:45 pm, and it does not work for a fix. My computers are online (wireless) and work fine, and speed tests show I am getting what I pay for. My 2xs's are hard wired and I tried them wireless as well, nothing but....... No content available. Supwitdat? It is not my network, believe that!! What's up Shawn? Everything was working well till tonight? The firmware is ver. 5.4 build 3358 SN/13c29s113183 model 3100x. That is one of the two I use. Both have MicroSD cards in them as well. Thank you....

vnazario
Topic Author

Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 am

Shawn:

Not a "fix" to the problem but maybe something to consider to help the situation a bit while the true fix comes along.

I have noticed that after a reboot Roku's seems to "behave" more reliably for awhile. With that said,

1. Why can't you add a scheduled reboot option (maybe in secret menu or standard option) that we can set. Say we can program our Roku's to automatically reboot at 3am when we are sleeping and not in use. By the time we actually go and use it, "in theory" should perform somewhat reliably where it is less likely to suddenly reboot in the middle of watching a stream.

just an observation and a suggestion to incorporate to at least improve on the reliability aspect while you identify and address a true fix to the software issues we are having at the moment.

Less unexpected sudden reboots = less complaints and at least buys you extra time to work on this issue. Hope this suggestion gets considered and implemented.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

JW1200

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:37 pm

JW1200 wrote:
As of tonight both of my 2xs's are worthless. I have been rebooting my whole system since 4:45 pm, and it does not work for a fix. My computers are online (wireless) and work fine, and speed tests show I am getting what I pay for. My 2xs's are hard wired and I tried them wireless as well, nothing but....... No content available. Supwitdat? It is not my network, believe that!! What's up Shawn? Everything was working well till tonight? The firmware is ver. 5.4 build 3358 SN/13c29s113183 model 3100x. That is one of the two I use. Both have MicroSD cards in them as well. Thank you....

Things are kinda back to normal now. I still have to reboot my boxes several times a day, but atleast I can view programs. If you helped me out on that Shawn, thank you.