Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Steve244

Re: Roku 2XS reboot issue-Continued

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Big badaboom reboot in the middle of The 5th Element.

One week since I posted. Watched a few intervening shows, seems to be less frequent. Any reboots are too many though.

Have Amazon, Netflix, and Aereo. That's all. Not sure who has used what in the last week. Acts like a memory leak. When it runs out...

Does the micro SD serve any purpose other than storing settings? What about main memory? This is a valid question. Saying it "might" help is a bit annoying as I'll spend $20 on a card.

Steve244 wrote:
Another unhappy 2xs user. Early adopter. Have 2 first gen models that are still going strong (aside from replacing their power supplies).

My 2xs reboots several times per week. It seems almost 100% when I sit down to watch a movie. It's an embarrassment as I've been spouting the praises of weaning us off of cable TV to have this happen. This has gotten worse in the last month (5.4?) but it was bad for about the last 6 months. It's intolerable.

I've removed all but Amazon, Netflix, and Aereo as these are all we use. I don't stream from a media server or use external memory. I can appreciate the "private" channels I had may have had memory leaks or some bug but this device should log failures and phone them home. I'll report back in a week.

Roku 2XS purchased sometime around Nov 2012, serial # 13C294031895. Used wired with 1080p TV. HDMI is routed through an onkyo receiver to the Samsung flat-screen. I notice this issue mostly when viewing netflix.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Does the micro SD serve any purpose other than storing settings? What about main memory? This is a valid question. Saying it "might" help is a bit annoying as I'll spend $20 on a card.

The SD card is for increased on board channel storage only. If you had 300 channels installed, it "might'' help, but I doubt it.
With your three channels it would be a waste.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Steve244

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks, I think you're right.

So it's a question of whether it's a bug, either the Roku or one of the channels (Aereo is suspect) or hardware failure. I like the Roku's function (I'm biased) but am skeered to buy another unless the problem can be determined with this unit. I might remove Aereo for a week or two and see if it improves.

Grandpa

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:43 am

I have not had a reboot in the past week or so. Nothing about my setup or usage was changed. Watch Netflix, MLB, Aereo and Amazon streaming, FOX news. Wireless connection.

vnazario
Topic Author

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 am

Steve244 wrote:
Thanks, I think you're right.

So it's a question of whether it's a bug, either the Roku or one of the channels (Aereo is suspect) or hardware failure. I like the Roku's function (I'm biased) but am skeered to buy another unless the problem can be determined with this unit. I might remove Aereo for a week or two and see if it improves.

Hi Steve:

I don't think it is Aereo that is causing the problem. I don't have this channel installed and have the reboot issue. Just want to help you avoid the unnecessary step of removing the channel just to see if this "helps".

Take care.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Steve244

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:23 am

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I may try one of the replacement roku 1st gen power supplies I have (those boxes continue to soldier on 5 years later) as I see someone mentioned that as a possible point of failure. Roku wall-warts seem to have a high failure rate.

What's the word on the street about the reliability of Roku 3 (sorry I haven't been around much)?

Looking at amazon reviews the 2XS has 20% "hated" while the 3 has 10%. I figure 10% of users will be unhappy no matter what, so the 3 appears to be solid while the 2 has issues.

I see the extended warranty is only offered within 90 days of purchase, so my 2xs seems headed for the closet of shame along with 10 year old PCs and networking stuff.

Darthweasel

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:52 am

I've been dealing with this issue for months now as well. Just now, after the Roku rebooted itself 3 times in a row, my 5 year old son said "Roku is being a doodle head". I'm inclined to agree with him. This has been an issue for what, 6 months now? And the lack of communication from the company is not good business. Not that the Chromecast supports Aereo, maybe it is time to put Roku out to pasture...

fyingling

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am

I have 2 Roku 2XS units and have had this problem with both of them for several months. We primarily watch HBOGo, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Plex, and NHL Gamecenter. NHL and Plex seem ok and Netflix seems to be more reliable than the other 3, but the 4 first mentioned tend to reboot on us AT LEAST once a day. Other than manually rebooting occasionally are there any other ways we can address this? Have we seen any movement from engineering?

renderking

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:37 am

I too have 2 Roku XS's that have been randomly rebooting for months. Always in the middle of a stream, usually once per day, most noticeably observed during Netflix or Amazon stream. I can stream Pandora all day without issue. Screen will freeze, like it lost Internet connection, but instead of seeing "buffering" or something similar, it hangs for a few seconds, then I get the bouncing Roku confirming reboot.

Again, I have two Roku XS, each hardwired to my gigabit network, rebooting about once a day. Each is running latest Roku OS Ver 5.4, primary uses are Amazon, Netflix, PBS, and Pandora channel. I always assumed it was a flash memory overrun, that forced the OS to reboot due to instability. For the most part, I've been living with it, but it would be nice to solve.

Willing to upload any dumps if possible to assist in solving. Thanks.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Guys and gals, as with ANY issue that's reported, engineering is always looking into it. Unfortunately, I can't give any updates or progress. As stated previously in another thread, if you'd like more information and/or earlier build releases (beta), then you need to apply to our beta program.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Steve244

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:40 pm

I test hardware and software at work. I don't want to do it at home. Thanks just the same.

Reading between the lines I see a software glitch. Tell engineering to hurry. I almost bought a firetv box but they have awful reviews. I may yet out of spite.

Darthweasel

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Shawn - with all due respect, this issue was first reported on the board on December 15th. On January 8th, you stated that they think they found the cause of the problem.
Since that time, there has been one major software release (5.4) and the problem is still not resolved.
Should each of us call your tech support line and log tickets in order to get someone actively working to solve this problem?

I know that the 2XS is the previous generation hardware, but when you guys push down a software release that effectively breaks functionality it still need to be fixed.
I think that the company should stand behind their hardware instead of just saying "we're working on it" for 6 months!
At this rate, the Roku 4 will be out before this is fixed. Or maybe that is what they are waiting for: the next generation comes out and they say they are no longer supporting the 2XS.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Darthweasel wrote:
Shawn - with all due respect, this issue was first reported on the board on December 15th. On January 8th, you stated that they think they found the cause of the problem.
Since that time, there has been one major software release (5.4) and the problem is still not resolved.
Should each of us call your tech support line and log tickets in order to get someone actively working to solve this problem?

I know that the 2XS is the previous generation hardware, but when you guys push down a software release that effectively breaks functionality it still need to be fixed.
I think that the company should stand behind their hardware instead of just saying "we're working on it" for 6 months!
At this rate, the Roku 4 will be out before this is fixed. Or maybe that is what they are waiting for: the next generation comes out and they say they are no longer supporting the 2XS.

Again, I cannot comment on this current issue. While it was previously stated that we thought the issue was covered in the last update, there may have been other issues we weren't aware of that could be causing it. Engineering is always looking into issues reported on the forums (and I report all of them on a weekly basis). Again, if you want access to early builds and possible fixes, please apply to the beta program. Users who report issues and detailed information on bugs are always in demand. The more detailed you can be in your reporting, the better.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

lion7718

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:35 am

Unless it's a software issue (Update), I'm pretty convinced that Netflix is the problem. Yes I've had a few reboots while watching Plex, but I will always get a reboot watching Netflix. It's to the point now, that before I watch anything on Netflix I will reboot my box...that will usually last 4-6 hours before the Roku starts acting up again & I know a reboot is coming, so I'll do it myself before it locks up...sometimes I don't make it & it reboots on 1st button press.
This is very frustrating, but at the same time...it's keeping me from upgrading to the R3.
I stopped coming to the forum everyday, now maybe once a week or two to check up on this problem.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

vnazario
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:42 am

My friend lion:

The issue lies within the firmware. It is not attributed to any particular app/channel. Just yesterday, my 2XS rebooted in the middle of watching NWA wrestling feed from NowhereTV channel. It doesn't matter what you are watching and what channel you use. There seems to be a memory leak somewhere. Now, after rebooting, the Roku seems to behave OK for awhile but the sudden reboot will inevitably reappear. I myself just reboot automatically my Roku before using it so I minimize the chance of a sudden reboot in the middle of enjoying a stream. I suppose you use Netflix the most so you naturally come to this conclusion but if you start using the other channels you will see that you will also experience this as well. Hope they fix this issue soon.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps