Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Steve244

Re: Roku 2XS reboot issue-Continued

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:02 am

bennor3814 wrote:
While my powering off my Roku's at night is "rebooting" them, it is not the spontaneous rebooting some are posting about while they are watching content. I leave one Roku on continuously from roughly 6am in the morning till 8pm at night every day and in the last year it has not spontaneously rebooted while streaming content from Netflix or Amazon or other online sites. On that Roku I watch roughly three to four hours (sometimes five hours) of content during the day and or evening. No spontaneous rebooting happens.

Using the stock original Roku game remote. Using the default screen saver. Use the default background setting. Both Roku's are connected to their respective TV's via HDMI. Both Roku's are set to 720p for display. Rarely if ever use the Roku app on my phone or tablet, use the Roku remote almost exclusively. The power supply for both Roku's is FA-0521500SUA and were the original power supplies that shipped with these Roku's when I received them a few years ago. Power supply specs - Input: 100-240VAC 50/60H 0.25A Output: 5.0V 1.5A Efficiency Level: V.

The more data points presented perhaps the more information that will be useful for the Roku tech support folks to figure out why some Roku 2XS's are spontaneously rebooting and hopefully provide a fix or at least an explanation of why it happens to some and not others.

It occurs to me that a "workaround" is a cheap timer that cuts power for a period each night. I was wondering if "upgrading" to Roku 3 was a way out of reboot-nightmare, but a timer for $5 would be a lot more cost effective. Just set it to be off for 30 minutes or so in the wee hours when no one should be stirring. Not even a mouse.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:26 am

^ If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Nocturnal

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:44 pm

bennor3814 wrote:
While my powering off my Roku's at night is "rebooting" them, it is not the spontaneous rebooting some are posting about while they are watching content. I leave one Roku on continuously from roughly 6am in the morning till 8pm at night every day and in the last year it has not spontaneously rebooted while streaming content from Netflix or Amazon or other online sites. On that Roku I watch roughly three to four hours (sometimes five hours) of content during the day and or evening. No spontaneous rebooting happens.

Using the stock original Roku game remote. Using the default screen saver. Use the default background setting. Both Roku's are connected to their respective TV's via HDMI. Both Roku's are set to 720p for display.

Since switching to 720p, my crash/reboots have gone from frequent to very rare. I've tried switching back to 1080p, and the problem returns.

vnazario
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Nocturnal wrote:
bennor3814 wrote:

Using the stock original Roku game remote. Using the default screen saver. Use the default background setting. Both Roku's are connected to their respective TV's via HDMI. Both Roku's are set to 720p for display.

Since switching to 720p, my crash/reboots have gone from frequent to very rare. I've tried switching back to 1080p, and the problem returns.

Hello:

Not sure whether set resolution plays a part but via HDMI you may see more reliability. However, both my Roku 2XS's are connected via SD analog composite connection and both suffer from frequent reboots. I can connect my main 2XS via HDMI but I choose to use it via composite so I can connect it to my VCR for simple recording. My settings are 480i and 16:9 wide connected via VCR input. I can switch to HDMI to test but I cannot do the same for my son as he has an older CRT type SD TV set.

But like I said before all these troubleshooting steps we are trying only marginally help as the true problem lies within the firmware and until Roku decides to fix the issue within the code we will continue to have reliability issues.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Steve244

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 pm

kc8pql wrote:
^ If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment.

I'll report back in a week or so. $4.70 plus tax at Home Depot for a timer.

mbellaire

Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:53 pm

My Roku2XS rebooted on Saturday night around 9:00PM (Amazon), and then again at 7:30PM on Sunday (Netflix). I sent RokuShawn the details. In my case, it doesn't seem like a timer is the solution to avoiding the random reboots.

vnazario
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Hello:

The "timer" suggestion is not meant to be a solution to the problem but rather provide some temporary improvement and reliability while we wait for a true fix on the next firmware update. You see, Roku's tend to "behave" ok for awhile after a reboot. That is why (for now anyways) that I choose to power-cycle my Roku before using it. It is better to wait for a new boot before using and then watch something than to have your entertainment cut-short and you have an unexpected reboot in the middle of watching a show or movie on the Roku. The timer will just give you the option to automatically choose/set when you want to power-cycle/reboot your Roku.

Hope this clarifies the concept of using a timer to help the current situation.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Steve244

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

The timer is a "Rube Goldberg" solution to the reboot problem. Very steampunk (ok that's an abuse of the term, but it's very low-tech). Seems to be working though: users in my household have commented the roku has been working well over the past few days. Much more responsive (lagginess is another symptom well before it takes a reboot). It's slightly more elegant in that the thing is up and running and we don't have to wait for it to boot prior to watching something. No one notices the timer initiated reboots (happens at 4AM). I hid the timer so there's no, "What's that thing for?"

Pondering the issue and the lack of solutions, I wonder if it's hardware. I also wonder if it's across all generations. My 1st gen box would freeze up and have to be rebooted from time to time, but it wasn't called on to stream HD. As more baseline applications are run by default, the memory issue is getting worse, but it's no specific thing that can be fixed. The 2 is precariously perched between a sexier UI and lower memory.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:00 pm

I also wonder if it's across all generations.

I don't think so. Spontaneous reboots have always been very rare for me. Like once or twice a year at most rare.
My R2XD is rock solid.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

IBMMuseum

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:26 pm

I've had a second 2XS reboot from within Pandora, but I think it only relates to my 2XS getting too warm. The small cooling fan I use to move some air around the cluster of devices was off, and I can't remember if it was running prior to the last time it rebooted in Pandora. These are the only times I have observed my 2XS rebooting.

However, I've since learned that the primary channel I watch with the unit, IT ProTV, streams at 720p for the highest rate...

lyd753

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:35 am

my 2 boxes are now rebooting and lagging often. Remote gets unresponsive. I disabled the screensaver and dropped down to 720 dpi

It would be nice to have a "reboot" option under "Settings" or even better a check box option to reboot when it does the automatic system update. Should that be a wishlist comment?

Grandpa

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 am

I am sure ROKU is just as frustrated as the 2XS users. I went about a week without a reboot. Then I got one yesterday while watching Netflix. I seem to get them only occasionally and not near as often as some that have been reporting here.

mrjlturner

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:16 pm

I sent an email correspondence to ROKU support over the weekend and didn't even get the courtesy of a reply :( I'm really trying to give ROKU a fighting chance. Reboots persisted over the weekend.
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

twiceover

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 am

I might try the timer, or maybe move up to a Roku3. I could really use those Netflix profiles.

wvfan

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Hello folks. I've been experiencing reboots with the Roku 2XS as well for quit some time now. I was excited as the next person when I realized an update 5.4 build 3358 was available. Even seeing the new interface was promising. Well, after countless reboots and now my latest, which was while streaming a movie through HuluPlus. Within 5 minutes of my movie I got the usual stutter, freeze then reboot. I have been watching this thread and finally decided to create an account to post what I tried to fix the problem. I haven't seen anything related to what I tried, unless I overlooked it in previous replies to this thread. And I don't know if this "tweak" will even work, but I will keep posted. The thing I tried was going into Roku's "secret" menu by pressing HOME 5x, then Fast Forward 3x, then Rewind 2x. This will bring up Debug Options, etc. I tried setting my channel store server to: api.roku.com. I then set my software update server to: release. Then I selected "Update software". It will show there's an update available, but it's the same version. I selected continue to "reinstall" the software version so to speak. It went through the motions of downloading, installing and restarting. This was about 3 or 4 hours ago. Time will tell, I suppose. But perhaps others can try this step and test it more thoroughly. I haven't had any reboots within the last 3-4 hours. If this has been tried, disregard this post. If it has been tried and failed, I'm still hoping and looking forward to a permanent fix provided by Roku. Lastly, my S/N for my 2XS is: 13C2C6072581 and of course: version 5.4 build 3358. Also, Model # is: 3100X. And I'm hardwired with cat5e network cable and using HDMI video connection with 1080p output setting.