Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FicmanS

Re: Roku 2XS reboot issue-Continued

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:23 am

Add my Roku to the list of rebooters, mine rebooted while watching an Amazon show

:(

wvfan

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am well aware of Beta testing and all that it entails. I didn't, however, take into consideration that I only have one Roku box that is my only means of viewing content. If I was to have another, I would definitely consider Beta testing. So I will wait like everyone else to see if Roku will in fact remedy this problem, hopefully sooner than later. I only hope that software support for this model doesn't get discontinued being considered as "older" technology.

Brokoo

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:48 am

I've still been getting the frequent reboots on both my 2XS's, but just the last few days I have noticed that one of the two has started doing what appears to be a crash - it shows a black screen, and is completely unresponsive to the remote. The network port LEDs on the back keep flashing as normal, but the only thing I can do to get it to respond seems to be a power cycle.

Given that only one is affected, it's probably not related to the reboot issue, but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else has also seen it?

Sailorman

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:48 am

I've completely solved my reboot problem. Took my 2 Roku 2XS' out into the alley and smashed them with a hammer and am now watching Netflix and Hulu through my smart TVs with no reboot problems. I will never buy another Roku product ever again and will never suggest to someone I know buy one.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 am

Sailorman wrote:
I've completely solved my reboot problem. Took my 2 Roku 2XS' out into the alley and smashed them with a hammer and am now watching Netflix and Hulu through my smart TVs with no reboot problems.

That was a very mature and reasonable response to a technical problem that probably will get solved, eventually. :shock: :P
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

IBMMuseum

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:55 pm

I finally received the adapter that allows me to connect my 2XS to an ANKER USB power supply - and also allowing me to meter voltage and current draw. The ANKER has the closest voltage supply to 5VDC I have seen from any of the USB connection I have tested (usually 5.03VDC, and not varying by more than 0.02VDC whether one or five USB devices are plugged in. Current draw for the 2XS is rarely above a quarter of an amp, I've only seen as high as 0.28 as some channels load. That's a sixth of what the stock supply is rated.

With the second adapter I'll be able to compare that to an N1100 I have at home, and a 2000C spare (having a supply rated at 2.5 amps)...

firedup

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:02 pm

me: so, roku is not aware of a problem and is not working on an update?
roku chat support: It is not issue at all [me]. Like I said, this issue would normally happen if the software is not update properly or hardware issue. If you find the same issue again on Roku, just reset the player by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds. If the still persist then contact us back. We will be happy to assist you.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Brokoo

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Sailorman wrote:
I've completely solved my reboot problem. Took my 2 Roku 2XS' out into the alley and smashed them with a hammer and am now watching Netflix and Hulu through my smart TVs with no reboot problems. I will never buy another Roku product ever again and will never suggest to someone I know buy one.

Thank you, that's the one thing about this whole issue that's let me smile. I am so very close to doing the same - I just need to figure out what I'm going to replace them with. Seven months of reboots has got me to the point of cursing the flower things whenever it happens again. To think, I used to be a roku evangelist, and am responsible for a number of other people buying them. Now I wonder if I need to apologize to them all.

firedup

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Brokoo wrote:
Sailorman wrote:

Thank you, that's the one thing about this whole issue that's let me smile. I am so very close to doing the same - I just need to figure out what I'm going to replace them with. Seven months of reboots has got me to the point of cursing the <Force equals mass times acceleration> things whenever it happens again. To think, I used to be a roku evangelist, and am responsible for a number of other people buying them. Now I wonder if I need to apologize to them all.

I would encourage everyone to send an email to customer.advocate@roku.com. Link to the following threads...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70430&start=75
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69639
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68878

and paste in any Roku Chat transcripts you have.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

liamphoto

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Would like to throw my hat in the ring as well. Reboots randomly on Amazon and Netflix (only ones I have had problems with).

wiseadam

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm

We have three roku 2 XS units that all random reboot, the main one in the living room reboots about every 3 hours or less. Over 7 months with this issue is unacceptable. I'm selling these units as defective and will never buy another roku product. Going with a very "hot" competitor's TV box. Thanks Roku for making this an easy decision, don't worry, none of my friends and family will own another one either. Great marketing by the way!! Maybe we'll have a big "burn the XS" party where we will all talk about the company Roku like it's a dying fad.

Steve244

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 am

That's harsh. But which competitor's and what is it you like about it? I despise iThingies and Amazon's box seems too biased towards selling Amazon products.

My solution was to put a timed outlet on it and power cycle it nightly. This works if your viewing habits are less than 4-5 hours HD per day. That's just a casual observation, but running it this way it hasn't had an unscheduled reboot for two weeks. It does take slightly longer to load a channel that was active before the reboot, but that's better than watching the dancing ROKU logo in the middle of some hot sex scene.

vnazario
Topic Author

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am

Hi:

It is possible that a new firmware push to our boxes may finally fix our issues. They have announced a version 5.5 for Roku 3 and the new stick coming soon. Not yet for our older boxes but one may be coming down for us as well as the new stick has similar hardware to our Roku2 XS's. I can only hope, wait and see. Let's all unite in prayer and hope that they haven't forgotten about us.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

wiseadam

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Is it harsh Steve244? That you would invest in a companies flagship product, tell your family and friends about how well it works, then have a software update pretty much brick the device. A large majority of initial XS users have this problem, and with no response from Roku other than it could be a software issue, go buy another roku 3, that one doesn't have the problem for sure!

The old saying fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I will not set myself up for another "accidental" firmware break of a newer roku device.

I primarily use Hulu, Netflix, Plex, and amazon prime for my media viewing. I bought a device that was capable of all of these things and worked 100%. The company then released a firmware update that made the device 50% usable without a frequent unplanned reboot.

A timed reboot of another device, however cheap it may be, is a work around and not a solution. I will not let my earned money go to waste troubleshooting someone else's device that THEY broke.

If anything is harsh here Steve, it's the way roku has treated its customers. To act as if it's not a problem and to push us to buy another newer product is unacceptable. I would have even accepted a half off coupon as some sort of an apology.

Either way, I have ordered both an amazon fire tv and a google chromecast to fulfill my media needs. Oh look at that, second movie of the night started on plex rebooted, F'in lovely. :roll:

It rebooted again and all I did was go back to the same movie in plex right after the reboot. Tell me how a timed on/off switch would have helped me there Steve.

POS Roku XS

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Feel free to start a new thread. However, keep it on topic, and post only information that can help the engineers working on the issue.

Continued off-topic/rants will get any additional threads locked.

While we understand our customer's frustrations, ranting doesn't help us resolve the issue.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan