Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario
Topic Author

2 XS Users: Has 5.5 FW Update fixed the reboot problem?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:38 am

Hi guys:

I am at work and can't binge watch now to test my box and see if 5.5 FW fixed or not our sudden reboot issues. Can you guys please post your results with testing 5.5 FW on your boxes to confirm improved reliability? Thanks in advance to those who can test and post their results here.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

FX4

Re: 2 XS Users: Has 5.5 FW Update fixed the reboot problem?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 am

I have the update but I did not and do not have a reboot issue.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

twiceover

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:11 am

So i was home at lunch and started the update process, went and made me a sammich while it was doing its thing. Got back and it was completed sitting at the home screen. Went to netflix and played s01e12 of Law and Order. Crashed in 12 seconds.

LOL.

To be fair, after the reboot it continued playing just fine. Maybe a fluke of the update, who knows. I just found it funny.

vnazario
Topic Author

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:18 am

For what it's worth, after the update and first reboot of FW 5.5, I re-checked for updates and 14 channels updated as well. Maybe some channels need updating to conform to the new 5.5 FW. Not sure about this but may or may not be relevant but worth noting.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

DesertFlyer

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:11 pm

I just had my first reboot since updating my XS to 5.5 this afternoon. I was watching a movie on Netflix and it locked up about 30 minutes into it. On 5.4 it was a daily occurrence as well. Time to start looking into alternatives.

vnazario
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 am

Hi:

My 2 XS boxes still crash but the time in-between crashes seems to have extended. So bottom line is we got some improvement (faster Netflix and more time between crashes) but issue is still persistent.

Not sure about how I "feel" about Roku now. Given that they have at least tried to fix the problem but not a true fix. What is your opinion on the subject?
vnazario

firedup

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 am

no fix for me either.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

1998gs

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm

No fix for me neither netflix just rebooted mine.

lion7718

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:36 am

Mine rebooted again last night.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

user3162

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:47 am

Mine usually reboots after half an hour, last night I thought it was fixed, it made it about one hour before it rebooted.

Jonnyy

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:00 am

I was slightly hopeful, but no, it appears it has not.

Grouchofish

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 pm

This reboot problem has been going on since the 5.3 update in December. My 2 ROKUS worked just fine until then. 2 updates later and the problem still persists. I doubt very much they're even working on a fix and hoping we will just give up hope on a fix and buy a ROKU 3. I'm on the verge of tossing them in the trash and moving onto a company that makes things that work and has better customer support.

It doesn't surprise me there's been no fix. It's pretty normal these days for tech companies to come out with newer models and stop supporting the older ones.

Elijah_Baley

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Grouchofish wrote:
It doesn't surprise me there's been no fix. It's pretty normal these days for tech companies to come out with newer models and stop supporting the older ones.

That theory could have some validity but Roku continues to support the original Netflix Player. ( Model N1000 etc) While not all channels work on that very old hardware most of the important one do and the ones that don't never did as they were created by their developers to work only on the newer boxes. My N1000 continues to chug along although, now days, it primarily is used for Pandora and Plex with few other regular duties.

I am quite sure Roku is spending all reasonable effort to get the XS reboots fixed but I am also quite sure that they are having a very hard time duplicating the problem.

Remember there are large numbers of Roku 2 XS users that are not having reboot problems. I know seven people with XSs and only two, me and one other, are having reboots.

I, too, am on the verge of dumping my XS over this but, if I do, I will replace it with another Roku as no other company I have ever dealt with has come even close to the ease of operation and reliability of the Roku line. If I dump my XS it will still be in operation as I will give it to a neighbor who watches nothing but baseball and Amazon movies and he will probably add Nowhere TV as well. I don't think those channels are causing reboots at this time.

But if you are really that dissatisfied with your Roku then you might be best served by going with another device.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

firedup

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
I am quite sure Roku is spending all reasonable effort to get the XS reboots fixed but I am also quite sure that they are having a very hard time duplicating the problem.

Sorry, I offered to turn on debugging and relentlessly crash the streamer. I offered to let them have the box that I have been able to repeatedly crash. Their response, "There is no problem."

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Remember there are large numbers of Roku 2 XS users that are not having reboot problems. I know seven people with XSs and only two, me and one other, are having reboots.

Five is not a large number. This problem affects every Roku 2 XS that I am aware of -- my three, three I bought for others, and seven bought by others I know.

Elijah_Baley wrote:
I, too, am on the verge of dumping my XS over this but, if I do, I will replace it with another Roku as no other company I have ever dealt with has come even close to the ease of operation and reliability of the Roku line. If I dump my XS it will still be in operation as I will give it to a neighbor who watches nothing but baseball and Amazon movies and he will probably add Nowhere TV as well. I don't think those channels are causing reboots at this time.

The Roku 3 is more than a year old now. I would be reluctant to buy one because 1) lots of problems have been reported here, and 2) it will become the red haired step child as soon as the next streamer is released. Remember the Roku 2XS was the flagship before the R3 was launched. I would not give a roku to a friend right now. People are not really tolerant of rebooting hardware.

Elijah_Baley wrote:
But if you are really that dissatisfied with your Roku then you might be best served by going with another device.

There are lots of alternatives. With the maturation of the Plex project the 'thousands of channels' claim is becoming less important.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

vnazario
Topic Author

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:49 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:

There are lots of alternatives. With the maturation of the Plex project the 'thousands of channels' claim is becoming less important.[/quote]

Hello:

Everyone is so focused on the FireTV as "the alternative" to a defective Roku just because it is an Amazon product and is the "new kid on the block".

There are other streaming devices that have the majority of "the better" apps that Roku's have and ARE VERY STABLE AND DON'T CRASH.

Sony Blu-Ray players and streaming boxes have never crashed on me. The downside is that new channels and apps aren't added as often but they still get added even on older models. Recently my Sony BR added the Flingo Suite of Apps and the Fawesome set of apps and others. All the "major players": NF, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, etc. are already there plus other apps.

TiVo has upgraded their streaming apps as well. The OperaTV store has most of Roku's apps already and constantly adds new apps plus also has "the major players". And TiVo DOES NOT CRASH.

GoogleTV devices are older BUT DO NOT CRASH and have web browsing capabilities for video content. You can side-load XBMC (Like with FireTV) and run PLEX. You don't have access to Hulu+ but you can get Hulu available content from PLEX channel scripts.

If Sony and TiVo added PLEX support or Tivo would offer DLNA support, I would completely dump Roku in favor of these more stable platforms.

Roku should get their act together and work the issues and keep their customers happy. Roku's competition is getting better so the huge lead Roku had in the past is slowly shrinking. Just wanted to bring to your attention over other equally good streaming alternatives other than FireTV to consider.
vnazario