Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

firedup

Re: 2 XS Users: Has 5.5 FW Update fixed the reboot problem?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
firedup wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
My point is not that there isn't a justifiable reason to be upset over 2XS issues.

Says you. The rest of us disagree. It is a very small group of television watchers who are 'OK' with their TV rebooting in the middle of a movie. In the words of Rachel Green, "It's not that common, it's doesn't happen to every [streamer], and it is a big deal!"

I think you misunderstood - or I wasn't clear. I'm saying people ARE justified in their frustrations. It still happens to me occasionally (see upthread - had an issue recently with Amazon Prime).

then I agree. too many negatives for my feeble mind to process on a Sunday afternoon.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

mbellaire

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 am

Same experience as others have reported. Frequency of reboots has diminished with the new firmware, but the problem hasn't been totally resolved. Still experiencing random reboots when watching Netflix (just last night) or Amazon.

1998gs

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:31 pm

YouTube channel froze my xs had to hit home a few times.but much better than before.

wesley89

Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:53 pm

The rebooting issue on my unit has improved considerably. It used to be an everyday occurance but now is only once every week or two. Much better, thank you. -wes

RuloSuper

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 pm

After several days of good behavior, my Roku 2 XS again froze and rebooted in Netflix while watching Flubber tonight, this was at 1080p Super HD with wired connection.
Still much better than before, but not perfect yet.
My ROKU Information:
Roku 3
Model 4200X
Software Version 8.0.0 | Build 4117-04
Roku 3
Model 4230
Software Version 8.0.0 | Build 4117-04

mrjlturner

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:23 pm

My prod box on 5.5.410 has not rebooted in the midst of a movie / tv show for quite some time. KUDOS to dev team for tackling the bug that plagued us earlier this year!
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

Frustration

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:11 pm

I have been a Roku user from the very beginning. My last Roku purchase was a Roku 2 XS. I have had reboot issues almost from the very beginning. I have watched the posts for nearly a year, in silence, hoping the problem would be resolved. With each update to firmware, I hoped that the answer would be yes. And sadly, with each firmware update, the answer is no. Even with the most recent update, my unit continues to freeze, hang and reboot. I hate to say it, but I have finally lost faith in the Roku product, and the people who support it. For that reason, I have decided not to upgrade to a newer product. I have purchased my last Roku unit.

I understand that the issue may be hard to isolate. But this issue has gone on for far too long. The company should have stepped up and either replaced the units, or at least given a significant discount on a trade-up unit, rather than dragging this issue out month after month.

With that said, I have solved my freeze and reboot issue. I have replaced my Roku units with Amazon Fire TV units, and for my use, the difference is night and day. The performance of the Amazon Fire TV is head and shoulders above the Roku.

For those of you who choose to stay with Roku, I wish you the best.

No longer frustrated.

FX4

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Interesting, while my primary Roku is an R3 I have R2s all over the house. I can't recall the last time I had a reboot.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Elijah_Baley

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:13 pm

FX4 wrote:
Interesting, while my primary Roku is an R3 I have R2s all over the house. I can't recall the last time I had a reboot.

My Roku 2 XS continues to reboot when playing local videos on a regular basis. I had two reboots yesterday and, if I use it again to play videos, I am quite sure that it will reboot within an hour or two after starting to play the video.

My XS is so frustrating and unreliable to use that I have relegated it to my spare bedroom and replaced it in my bedroom with a refurbished Roku 1 that is much more stable and only slightly slower even though my 2 XS is connected wired and my 1 is wireless only.

Fortunately my XS is now located where it will not be used much for videos. Its primary use there will be to play music and sometimes display pictures and other non-video duties.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

FX4

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm convinced it's a poor data corruption handling issue of some kind. I had some problems in the past but the faster and more reliable my home network has become the fewer problems I have had. Like I said I can't recall the last time I had a reboot. It's been a while. The R2 in my office gets used a lot as does the one in my wife's craft room. Now that I am thinking about it the one in my business office does reboot once in a while but I use that one for background noise more than anything.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Elijah_Baley

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Actually I think it is a hardware problem. I think it is a situation where the Roku 2 XS has a problem where there is a bug in the hardware that is kind of like a domino standing on edge. This bug is such that due to slight differences in the manufacturing process some XSs are like dominoes with rounded edges and others are like ones with extra width and most are just nice straight edged dominoes.

It is easier to make the rounded edge dominoes fall than the ones with the square edges.

Unfortunately my Roku is one of the extremely unstable ones. But I did get good service out of it for quite a while until about a year ago when a software update exposed its problems.

My Roku 3, Roku 1 and old N1000 are all rock solid so I am content with my Rokus but my XS is nearly useless for playing videos.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

FX4

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:31 pm

I suppose this is possible. The only thing I can report is the cleaner and faster my network runs the fewer problems I have had. I had a lot of reboots until I had the cable company come and and clean up the connections up to my demarc and swap out the modem. They confirmed they were seeing level problems. I also had a bug in my Cisco router that was causing packets to clump and even drop a few here and there. Swapped out the router and I don't think I have seen a reboot since. Although I may very well have treated the symptom (trigger) rather than the root cause of the problem.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

firedup

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Comes and goes with firmware updates; went away completely with the first bad firmware rollback. If roku collects a log with each crash, they know exactly what is going on. I have personally sent in enough logs to warm a small Icelandic community.

FX4

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Interesting, my reboot problems have not really been bad enough to worry about sending log files. I do know from my hardware days you write firmware patches to work around hardware problems.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

firedup

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:21 pm

FX4 wrote:
Interesting, my reboot problems have not really been bad enough to worry about sending log files. I do know from my hardware days you write firmware patches to work around hardware problems.

Sending the log is part of the crash process.