Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

adelialaurent
Topic Author

Which Roku Streaming Player should I get?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Any suggestions? sort of leaning towards the Roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p. probably not getting the XS so any other alternatives that may be better? sort of disappointed they don't include youtube.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Which Roku Streaming Player should I get?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Probably should get one of the more current models. Roku 1, 2, 3 or HDMI Streaming stick. All Roku devices (minus the first generation models), including the XD and XS you mentioned do have the YouTube channel now.
Last edited by trekkeriii on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

theuser86

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Get a Roku 3. Those you listed are discontinued models.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:04 pm

OP, don't know where you're doing your research, but the answers you're getting aren't current.
https://www.roku.com/products/compare
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

RockYou

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Check the Roku site for the features of the currently available models. Get the one that has all of the features you want/need (or plan to "need")--why pay extra for stuff you don't want to do. I'm quite happy with my Streaming Stick--works fine with Amazon and Crunchyroll; works OK with Netflix, too, I guess if you can stand their new UI. I use it much more often now than my 2XS.
Last edited by RockYou on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyts

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:59 am

One factor is whether you want the new Netflix UI; Roku 3 and the HDMI stick have it, none of the other models do and apparently none of them will ever get it. Its main advantage is its support for Profiles and the Netflix Kids UI and it starts up in 2 seconds since the 5.5 firmware update, bringing you back to exactly where you where when you exited (the first time you run it each day it asks you to choose a profile).

Personally, I wouldn't use a stick unless there was some compelling reason for it. I prefer to connect my Roku to my network via wired Ethernet (I only use wireless for portable devices like phones and tablets); only the Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS offer that option.
Last edited by mikeyts on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockYou

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:15 am

mikeyts wrote:
One factor is whether you want the new Netflix UI; Roku 3 and the HTML stick have it,
I guess you mean "HDMI" instead of "HTML"? (I was scratching my head till this occurred to me.)

mikeyts wrote:
I prefer to connect my Roku to my network via wired Ethernet (I only use wireless for portable devices like phones and tablets); only the Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS offer that option.
I prefer wired, too, but my TV + stick are located where there isn't any wire, so wireless was an essential feature choice.

mikeyts

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 pm

RockYou wrote:
mikeyts wrote:
One factor is whether you want the new Netflix UI; Roku 3 and the HTML stick have it,
I guess you mean "HDMI" instead of "HTML"? (I was scratching my head till this occurred to me.)

Yes, thanks--I fixed it.

RockYou wrote:
mikeyts wrote:
I prefer to connect my Roku to my network via wired Ethernet (I only use wireless for portable devices like phones and tablets); only the Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS offer that option.
I prefer wired, too, but my TV + stick are located where there isn't any wire, so wireless was an essential feature choice.

The omitted first sentence of that paragraph said, "...unless there was some compelling reason". That would qualify as a compelling reason" :).