Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
jlsoaz
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:12 am

jlsoaz wrote:
I'm having AA battery issues out of nowhere.  I don't remember having had them previously.  I have two newer-seeming remotes that use AAs and one older-one that uses AAAs.  The older one seems to function ok (though it has to be kind of close.  The two newer ones function a time or two and then punk out.  Maybe it has to do with the remote "tying" to the Roku unit and not with the batteries?

Coming back to my post from last month, in my case, the problem may have been that I was not "pairing" my enhanced remotes properly.  However, this does not seem to have fully solved things.  In the last few minutes I have twice gone through the pairing process only (within minutes) to have the remote stop communicating with the Roku.
 
bburzycki
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am

After another night and another set of dead batteries I have to say that the issue is real
 
jlsoaz
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:55 pm

bburzycki wrote:
After another night and another set of dead batteries I have to say that the issue is real

does anyone know if Roku people have made any comments on this issue or issues?  Is there an acknowledgment that some customers are seeing it?

One additional thing I noticed - After experiencing these issues and trying to get simple pairing to solve things, I noticed on the next day, after pressing a few buttons and not seeing the TV respond at all, that if I removed the battery cover, there was a light coming on and off (the same one that indicates some pairing activity?) and so it made me question if there is battery-draining activity going on whether the remote is able to get the Roku to do anything or not.
 
drphibes13
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:01 am

I just recently purchased a Roku streaming stick+ and in the short time I've had it I'm having to change batteries about every 4 days. It is very frustrating (and expensive) to have to keep changing batteries that often. I really hope this does get addressed very soon!
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm

bburzycki wrote:
After another night and another set of dead batteries I have to say that the issue is real

Which would happen if the jack is still connected. Are you unplugging the headphones when you're done listening? If not, that's why they're dying. If you are unplugging, based on what you said earlier, it could be that the jack is defective; that is, not physically disconnecting the bypass and causing the extra drain by re-routing should over WiFi. If that's the case, replace the device.

My Ultra doesn't exhibit this behavior, so I'm thinking it's not software, but hardware. If it was software, I'd suspect we'd all have the issue.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm

drphibes13 wrote:
I just recently purchased a Roku streaming stick+ and in the short time I've had it I'm having to change batteries about every 4 days. It is very frustrating (and expensive) to have to keep changing batteries that often. I really hope this does get addressed very soon!

Are you using headphones? And are you leaving them plugged in?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
drphibes13
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm

DBDukes wrote:
drphibes13 wrote:
I just recently purchased a Roku streaming stick+ and in the short time I've had it I'm having to change batteries about every 4 days. It is very frustrating (and expensive) to have to keep changing batteries that often. I really hope this does get addressed very soon!

Are you using headphones? And are you leaving them plugged in?

No, the remote for the stick devices doesn't provide a headphone jack on them. You can still listen privately on a mobile phone though, which is really nice. I don't even use that much either, but a nice feature to have nonetheless. I'm not sure what the deal is with them dying so fast. I use Duracell batteries in them, but approximately every 4 days it is still the same story...
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3894
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:02 pm

drphibes13 wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
drphibes13 wrote:
I just recently purchased a Roku streaming stick+ and in the short time I've had it I'm having to change batteries about every 4 days. It is very frustrating (and expensive) to have to keep changing batteries that often. I really hope this does get addressed very soon!

Are you using headphones? And are you leaving them plugged in?

No, the remote for the stick devices doesn't provide a headphone jack on them. You can still listen privately on a mobile phone though, which is really nice. I don't even use that much either, but a nice feature to have nonetheless. I'm not sure what the deal is with them dying so fast. I use Duracell batteries in them, but approximately every 4 days it is still the same story...

I have an older Stick (3600), and the batteries last a very long time. I used it constantly when I was staying in a hotel for four months last year, and only used one set of batteries. If yours is lasting such a short period of time, I suspect it's defective. I wasn't aware the latest Stick remotes don't have headphone jacks. I know mine doesn't, but I thought the newer ones did. My mistake there. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
drphibes13
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:33 pm

atc98092 wrote:
drphibes13 wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
drphibes13 wrote:
I just recently purchased a Roku streaming stick+ and in the short time I've had it I'm having to change batteries about every 4 days. It is very frustrating (and expensive) to have to keep changing batteries that often. I really hope this does get addressed very soon!

Are you using headphones? And are you leaving them plugged in?

No, the remote for the stick devices doesn't provide a headphone jack on them. You can still listen privately on a mobile phone though, which is really nice. I don't even use that much either, but a nice feature to have nonetheless. I'm not sure what the deal is with them dying so fast. I use Duracell batteries in them, but approximately every 4 days it is still the same story...

I have an older Stick (3600), and the batteries last a very long time. I used it constantly when I was staying in a hotel for four months last year, and only used one set of batteries. If yours is lasting such a short period of time, I suspect it's defective. I wasn't aware the latest Stick remotes don't have headphone jacks. I know mine doesn't, but I thought the newer ones did. My mistake there. 

No worries. I really appreciate everyone's feedback, and input on this.
 
bburzycki
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I def do unplug the headphones. I have seen all kinds of strange behavior.

I contacted support via their chat today - It was super painless compared to what many have posted about the horror stories. They are replacing my remote.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apodtele and 34 guests