Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cycleboy506
Topic Author

Netflix audio out of sync with video

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:36 am

For the past many, many months, I find that the audio is out of sync with the video on *some* netflix.com movies - always the same movies. The same movies have audio/video in sync when streaming to both an Apple laptop and a Chromebook (via wifi) during the same time of day. (the old James Bond movies that Netflix recently took down, and last night Silence of the Lambs. I ended up watching it on the Chromebook instead - and it's an old Chromebook! ~3 years old.) I've therefore ruled out network congestion as an issue. I've tried power cycling the Roku, firmware upgrade (it's been up-to-date for a while and will no longer upgrade), but nothing has fixed it.

I have serial number C0D02F021804, bought in June 2010, currently running the latest possible firmware. Using HDMI port to the TV. I use wired ethernet to the Roku and my internet access is 25Mbps.

What causes this problem? I have isolated this problem to the Roku video player.

regards,
js.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Netflix audio out of sync with video

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:51 am

I think it's more likely that the streams have a problem since it's always the same movies.
You don't say what model your box is but 2010 would be a first generation box running V.3.xx firmware.
That version of Netflix (separate bitrate streams) aren't the same ones your laptop and Chrombook use.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

cycleboy506
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on the issue. Ok, I have:

Software: version 3.1 - build 1198 ("No software updates available at this time")
Hardware version: model N1100

So what do you mean that "that version of Netflix isn't the same one my Macbook Air and Chromebook use"? Are you saying that the problem is in the Netflix app on the Roku player? If so, as far as i'm concerned, since the Netflix app and Roku box are parts of the same device, i.e. i can't replace one without the other, the problem has been isolated to the hardware+software of the Roku box, and it doesn't matter to me which of those two pieces is broken - it just doesn't work.

I believe the streams are exonerated since both streams work on both Macbook Air and Chromebook. If the same stream (?) is being sent to all three devices, yet it does not work on one of those devices, that device is necessarily faulty, true?

regards,
js.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Are you saying that the problem is in the Netflix app on the Roku player

No, I'm saying that the problem sounds like it's the streams for those movies from Netflix. Bad encodes.
The newer boxes, and devices that use web browsers like your computer don't use those streams so
the those same movies play OK on them. The same stream is not being sent to all devices.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

cycleboy506
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Oh, ok. So how can I found out more about how Netflix works, i.e. how can I find out what the different streams are for the different devices, and how many different streams there are? And why would older Rokus use different streams than newer Rokus?

thanks,
js.