Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ksims3
Topic Author

Roku 3, and Roku Media Player

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm

So Ijust bought a Roku 3 a few days ago. I got it set up, did some googling to find the Roku Media Player app so I can access my Seagate Central drive and pull all my movies over. The Seagate is a DLNA drive, and the media player picks it up

I have about 4300 movies/tv shows on the Central, and they're all .mp4's (Some were .avi's, but I went through and converted them all over after seeing that the Media Player channel can't handle a .avi.).. And the media channel only reports about 2300 of those. I have a folder named TV Shows, with about 50 subfolders, 35 of which the Roku sees.

What can I do to fix this? Is it a setting I'm not aware of on the folders?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 3, and Roku Media Player

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 pm

ksims3 wrote:
So Ijust bought a Roku 3 a few days ago. I got it set up, did some googling to find the Roku Media Player app so I can access my Seagate Central drive and pull all my movies over. The Seagate is a DLNA drive, and the media player picks it up

I have about 4300 movies/tv shows on the Central, and they're all .mp4's (Some were .avi's, but I went through and converted them all over after seeing that the Media Player channel can't handle a .avi.).. And the media channel only reports about 2300 of those. I have a folder named TV Shows, with about 50 subfolders, 35 of which the Roku sees.

What can I do to fix this? Is it a setting I'm not aware of on the folders?

Mp4 is a container (for the audio and video) - the files inside the container have to be Roku-compatible, or it won't be able to read them. I assume that's the issue you're seeing.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:32 pm

The Roku should always be able to see all your subfolders as they are just directories.

Elijah_Baley

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Mp4 is a container (for the audio and video) - the files inside the container have to be Roku-compatible, or it won't be able to read them. I assume that's the issue you're seeing.

Actually that is not true. If you stick an mp4 extension a text file the Roku Media Player will see it just fine. Of course it will not play. :wink:

When looking for files the Roku Media Player, and most other simple Roku players, just read the file names when looking for playable media. They do not check the format nor try to read the metadata.

More complex players, like Plex, do some reading of the media but I think even those will still provide a listing for improper files.

The problem the OP is seeing lies elsewhere. It is possible that something in the directory structure or file system is causing problems.

A listing of one file tree that is not detected and one that is would help us to help.

I had one case where an improperly formatted sub-directory caused one of the Roku players to stop reading at that point even though there was more on the disk.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

ksims3
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Alright - I'll give you a few..

It can see Television Shows/+The Big Bang Theory, +Castle, +Falling Skies, +Game of Thrones
It can see New Girl\Season 1 - The Complete Season 1{HDTV}, Season 2, and Season 3.
It cannot see the first 15 episodes of New Girl season 1, but it can see everything else. I figured out that part, as it was because the first 15 were .avi files - They are now .mp4's, and it still doesn't see them.

It does not see Television Shows\American Dad
\Beast Wars
\Blood+ (Which is wierd, cause it saw that one earlier today)
\Blue Seed
\Hellsing (Another folder it saw, but no longer sees)
Is there some sort of limit to the amount of files it can detect? I've unplugged the power from the Roku, left it for a half hour, and plugged it back in to see if it needed a refresh. Also gone to settings/update, and tried to refresh it that way.

ksims3
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:52 pm

RokuDale wrote:
The Roku should always be able to see all your subfolders as they are just directories.

just wanted to add in that that's not exactly helpful - I know it should be able to. It isn't. That's the problem.

sharpedge

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:42 am

Did you re-index/re-scan your media server (the seagate) after making the file changes, and did it finish re-indexing successfully before you tried RMP on the Roku?

Do you have another upnp/dlnadevice you can try viewing the files/folders with to see if they have the same issue? It's quick (and sometimes free) to install a upnp/dlna app on your phone or tablet.

ksims3
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 am

I... Am not sure if I've reindexed the Seagate, once I made the conversions and such.

I'm not sure of how I'd go about doing it from the Roku, if that's what the issue is - Like I said, I've restarted the Roku via unplugging it for a half hour and plugging it back in (Only recently just read theres a remote key-combo you can use to restart it as well.)

I'm at work right now, so I can't check if other DLNA devices can see the files - But we have a Yamaha receiver in another room that is capable of it, I believe. I'll try that, or download something on my tablet and see if it can see it when I get home.

ksims3
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

I also found this thread here.. viewtopic.php?p=448911

The OP of that thread had a similar-ish issue, in that RMP wasn't picking up the fact that he had deleted and moved files around on his Seagate Central - How convenient that the OP had the same DLNA server that I do - and it was because the Central itself has it own index that it broadcasts out to DLNA devices.

While still being at work, I remoted into my home PC, accessed the seagate and had it refresh its index as the OP described in the mentioned thread. I'll check that when I get home, but it looks promising for fixing the issue.

Thanks all for your assistance, in advance.

ksims3
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:15 pm

An update - The refreshing of the index cache on the Seagate doesn't seem to be fixing the issue. Still shows items in the 'Television Shows' folder, and there's supposed to be 50 according to what I can see when I access it from the PC.

Not sure if all the other folders I've got are reporting correctly, but still.

I think I might try Plex... Going to install the server for it on my PC, and see if it'll do what RMB can't/won't.