Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RogueWiFiDirect
Topic Author

Yet another WiFi Direct is jamming my home network thread.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:25 am

Yeah, I've read the other threads. Most of the official responses come across as "nothing to see here, move along." So I thought I would give it another try. At the very least, chalk up one more user to the "very few" who are suffering this problem.

Roku 3
Connected to the network via WIRE.
I do have a wi-fi network, 2.4 Ghz band, channel 11.
Ran WiFi Annalyzer for a few weeks (off and on) prior to an issue, and the only network I can see reliably is mine, at about -52Db. On rare occasions I can see my neighbors wifi network on channel 6 at about -95Db.

Everything worked fine for months. Came home on the 8th to the power having been out for about an hour prior to me coming home. (Hint: I have an UPS that my TV and Roku are plugged into, it didn't run out.) Roku was "stuck" in the dancing Roku name reboot animation, so I hard rebooted it. Went to use my tablet and my tablet told me I didn't have network connection, which is odd.

Jump to the punchline, and the Roku 3 WiFi direct "AP" (for lack of a better term) is SQUASHING the living daylights out of my wi-fi network.

And the one liners keep rolling:

Take the batteries out of the remote. DIRECT_Roku_XXX is still squelching my wi-fi network. Re-pair the remote, and the WiFi Direct is still squelching the wi-fi network. Factory reset the Roku 3, and the WiFi Direct is still squelching the wi-fi network. Re-pair the remote and the WiFi Direct is still squelching the wi-fi network.

So... Even IF I had an IR remote to use with my Roku 3 connected via WIRE... The WiFi Direct will still be squelching my wi-fi network....

Why does the WiFi Direct want me to never spend money on Roku again? Why does the WiFi Direct want me to tell everyone I ever meet, online and not, to avoid Roku forever? Why does the WiFi Direct hate it's creators so much?
Roku Engineers: Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Which is Latin that apparently means "even if you can provide evidence to the contrary, it never happened. Simply because I can quote Latin."

I bet this post gets me another board warning too!

theuser86

Re: Yet another WiFi Direct is jamming my home network threa

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:30 am

If your Roku 3 is in fact hard wired, then the Wifi Direct Connect remote runs on the 5 ghz band. It does not operate on the 2.4 ghz band.

So if your wireless network is in fact on the 2.4 ghz band there will be no interference.

My recommendation is factory reset both your Roku and router. Reconfigure the router and then the Roku and of course never add your wireless network to the Roku. The Roku will stay in the 5 ghz band.

RogueWiFiDirect
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:35 am

theuser86 wrote:
If your Roku 3 is in fact hard wired, then the Wifi Direct Connect remote runs on the 5 ghz band. It does not operate on the 2.4 ghz band.

So if your wireless network is in fact on the 2.4 ghz band there will be no interference.

My recommendation is factory reset both your Roku and router. Reconfigure the router and then the Roku and of course never add your wireless network to the Roku. The Roku will stay in the 5 ghz band.

Lies!! (Meant with humor, not serious.)

As you read in my post, the Roku 3, is indeed, hardwired.
The WiFi Direct is, indeed, NOT on 5 Ghz band, and on 2.4 Ghz.
And I DID factory reset the Roku, and the WiFi Direct is not anywhere near the 5 Ghz band. This has all been confirmed with Wi Fi Analyzer.
Roku Engineers: Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Which is Latin that apparently means "even if you can provide evidence to the contrary, it never happened. Simply because I can quote Latin."

theuser86

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 am

Please factory reset both devices again.

Just yday someone had a problem with the WiFi DC and factory reset fixed it, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74831

RogueWiFiDirect
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:38 am

Well... I factory reset my Roku 3 two additional times, and re-paired the remote each time (this is on top of the initial pairing after factory reset).

That brings the totals up to:

3 Factory resets, (Fun fact: Having to link my Roku to my account without the benefit of wi-fi is sooo much fun. I know I need to exercise, but running from the room with the Roku to the nearest room with a wire connected PC wasn't the kind I needed.)
4 remote re-pairings (on top of the three with factory reset),

And my Roku 3 is still squashing the living daylights out of my wi-fi network.

Despite my Roku having no contact with my wi-fi router, and considering I am a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and factory reset my wi-fi router. What a major PITA that was... Had to break out an ethernet cable and get to the router... Not the wisest suggestion by the way.

Still no joy. As long as the Roku is plugged in, my wi-fi network is jammed by Roku's WiFi Direct.

So, at least today, there is a user who has this problem that factory reset didn't even come close to fixing. Check here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74898

So what now Mister Wizard?

What other hoops can I jump through to convince you it is an issue with the Roku 3? Or, at the very least, MY Roku 3?

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Using the wifi analyzer, what does the Roku wifi network show? (Channel, strength, etc.)? Can you post a screenshot of the analyzer's screen showing the issue? Thanks!
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

ACraigo

Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:46 pm

In any of these related threads I don't really see any solutions - except maybe the guy that surrounded his Roku in a Faraday cage made out of aluminum foil. I'd go with metal window screening to allow the passage of air. If you can't turn off the 'feature' inside the box, turn it off outside. I suppose with some time-honored trial and error experimentation one could find the happy balance between remote operation and WiFi annihilation reduction by adjusting the effectiveness of little hand-made mouse cages.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Why is it almost ALWAYS the guys with custom and confusing network setups that have these issues, while almost no one else seems to?

twiceover

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:05 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Why is it almost ALWAYS the guys with custom and confusing network setups that have these issues, while almost no one else seems to?

He hasn't mentioned anything confusing about his network at all. He has a wifi router, that's about it.

Elijah_Baley

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:06 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

Because most, if not all, of these setups are the result of the user wanting to have his/her network perform some special function or the person setting it up not really understanding networks or security or a networking "expert" trying to apply a enterprise type networking concept to a home network.

Or as Albert Einstein said: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot."
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

ACraigo

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:08 pm

What difference does it make?

The issue seems valid and unless:
Roku Fine Print: Only works in standard network environments.
is printed somewhere on the box, these issues certainly bear discussion.
Tony
Roku 2 HD

Elijah_Baley

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:11 pm

ACraigo wrote:
In any of these related threads I don't really see any solutions - except maybe the guy that surrounded his Roku in a Faraday cage made out of aluminum foil. I'd go with metal window screening to allow the passage of air. If you can't turn off the 'feature' inside the box, turn it off outside. I suppose with some time-honored trial and error experimentation one could find the happy balance between remote operation and WiFi annihilation reduction by adjusting the effectiveness of little hand-made mouse cages.

I believe simply pulling the battery from the remote will cause the WiFi direct to stop completely. After that one can simply use an IR remote or one of the network based remotes (Android and others) to control the Roku.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

ACraigo

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Is that what most people do who have the issue?

Seems that didn't work for our guy here. He reports batteries out and squashed wifi. What's plan b?
Tony
Roku 2 HD

firedup

Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:04 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

probably because the guy with less network knowledge simply returns the device.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

theuser86

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I still don't get why you have to run between rooms if your Roku is hardwired, it should have Internet and you can set it up using your smartphone or tablet browser or a browser on a wireless computer. All I meant was never add the wireless network to the Roku.