Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

NobHillBilly

Re: TCL Roku TV wifi issues

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:25 pm

A repairman called and scheduled an appointment to come by my house and soldered on a new wire that grounds something that otherwise wasn't grounded. The TV does have two antennas from what I can tell in one of the secret menus. It came up earlier in the thread I think but if it's the hardware issue the TV's MAC address will show as all zero's at times, so if it isn't doing that it may be a different issue but if it is be sure to mention that the MAC address shows all 0's.

If you can hardwire the TV with an ethernet dongle, I'd suggest it as you'll get a better picture quality while streaming things than you will with wifi. I just have so many devices that I'm out of ethernet slots on my router and am bothered by a company selling a partially defective product.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 pm

NobHillBilly wrote:
If you can hardwire the TV with an ethernet dongle, I'd suggest it as you'll get a better picture quality while streaming things than you will with wifi. I just have so many devices that I'm out of ethernet slots on my router and am bothered by a company selling a partially defective product.

That is generally not true except on adaptive bitrate streaming sources and even then it is usually not true. Just like digital TV streaming picture quality is not impacted by the quality of the signal as it is digital not analog.

Having said that I agree that using a wireless connection is inferior to a wired one and that wired should generally be preferred for reliability. Wired is always superior to wireless but it is not picture quality that is the issue.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

jp1

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 pm

firedup wrote:
jp1 wrote:
Could you point out a better 55" tv for somewhere in the vicinity of $500-600? I am not questioning the validity of that claim, I just wasn't able to find anything myself that topped it at those prices. You can always get better, but better at comparable pricing is what matters.

Thank you for choosing Micro Center (Boston/Cambridge).
SKU#278044
60" 1080p Plasma HD Smart TV w/Wi-Fi - 60PB6650
$559.99
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4337 ... -_60PB6650

Nice indeed, as I said I wasn't questioning the validity of your claim. The closest to me is a 6 hour drive.

@DaBronx, thanks for the follow up instructions. I have the dongle on order already.

firedup

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:27 pm

jp1 wrote:
firedup wrote:
jp1 wrote:
Could you point out a better 55" tv for somewhere in the vicinity of $500-600? I am not questioning the validity of that claim, I just wasn't able to find anything myself that topped it at those prices. You can always get better, but better at comparable pricing is what matters.

Thank you for choosing Micro Center (Boston/Cambridge).
SKU#278044
60" 1080p Plasma HD Smart TV w/Wi-Fi - 60PB6650
$559.99
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4337 ... -_60PB6650

Nice indeed, as I said I wasn't questioning the validity of your claim. The closest to me is a 6 hour drive.

PC Richard ships the same TV for free for $50 more.

$500-$600 will get you a very good top tier/brand name 60" 1080p plasma most days.

As far as I can tell, the best you can do for a 55" 1080p 120hz LED is about $650.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

jp1

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Dang, I might need to make that jump. I hate getting tvs shipped, but that is a far better deal than I can get locally. I really wanted plasma as well. That complicates the issue a bit. No tax means it is only a $65 difference too.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:04 pm

NobHillBilly wrote:
A repairman called and scheduled an appointment to come by my house and soldered on a new wire that grounds something that otherwise wasn't grounded. The TV does have two antennas from what I can tell in one of the secret menus. It came up earlier in the thread I think but if it's the hardware issue the TV's MAC address will show as all zero's at times, so if it isn't doing that it may be a different issue but if it is be sure to mention that the MAC address shows all 0's.

Yes, exact same behavior you described. I get a list of available networks, select mine, enter the password and it successfully connects to the wireless network, but fails at connecting to local network after about 60 seconds of trying (this is why I think it's unable to get an IP for some reason). After it fails, a re-scan of networks returns no results and shows a MAC address of all zeros. If I reboot, I get to go through the same process again to no avail. I've tried all of the debug settings as well as several factory resets and multiple routers and network configurations. I just don't understand how a hardware/grounding issue would allow it to connect to my phone's hotspot, but not my wireless network(s). I might try an ad-hoc connection to my computer next to see if that behaves any differently. I really don't have the time or patience to sit on a call with tier one technical support for an hour or more... yet.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

firedup

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:16 pm

jp1 wrote:
Dang, I might need to make that jump. I hate getting tvs shipped, but that is a far better deal than I can get locally. I really wanted plasma as well. That complicates the issue a bit. No tax means it is only a $65 difference too.

Don't forget my finder's fee :D
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

jp1

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm

firedup wrote:
jp1 wrote:

Don't forget my finder's fee :D

Definitely owe you a beer. I couldn't talk myself out of it, already pulled the trigger. TCL goes back to Wal-Mart.

5 extra inches and Plasma to boot. I'm pretty damned happy about that.

jp1

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Maybe still keeping this tv for the bedroom. I'm not impressed with Roku's feedback about questions and issues on the boards here though. Are you guys gonna support this thing or what? I like the piece of kit, a lot. I was ready to return it for the superior television (already ordered) and it just saddened me enough to maybe hold on to it for a second set. I like the experience a lot, want to know that firmware updates are in the pipeline though.

TheEndless

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 pm

jp1 wrote:
I'm not impressed with Roku's feedback about questions and issues on the boards here though. Are you guys gonna support this thing or what?

Hardware support, which this particular issue appears to be, is handled by the respective television manufacturers.

jp1 wrote:
I like the experience a lot, want to know that firmware updates are in the pipeline though.

They just announced two new manufacturers coming on board this week at CES, Haier and Insignia, as well as plans for new 4K versions sometime in the near(?) future. That's a pretty solid indication that the product isn't going to die off anytime soon. Roku is still releasing firmware updates for STBs that were discontinued nearly three years ago, so it'd be pretty shocking if they chose not to release any firmware updates for their newest product line.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

knuckle

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:49 pm

if it is a cold solder joint might tap the back of the set but I am with you Endless -- if it is a hardware issue you shouldn't be able to connect to anything.You have tried both G and N in your configuration trials?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

TheEndless

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 am

knuckle wrote:
if it is a cold solder joint might tap the back of the set but I am with you Endless -- if it is a hardware issue you shouldn't be able to connect to anything.You have tried both G and N in your configuration trials?

Good question. I've tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, but I don't think I've tried forcing it to G. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

TheEndless

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 am

TheEndless wrote:
knuckle wrote:

Good question. I've tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, but I don't think I've tried forcing it to G. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Good call, knuckle! I switched one of my networks to G-only, and the TV connected immediately. If my phone's hotspot is G as well, that could definitely explain the different behavior (and would jive with it being a hardware issue). Thanks for the suggestion!

knuckle

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 pm

what firmware is the tv running?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

TheEndless

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 pm

knuckle wrote:
what firmware is the tv running?

6.0 b5044