ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

jp1

Re: TCL Roku TV wifi issues

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 pm

TheEndless wrote:
jp1 wrote:
I'm not impressed with Roku's feedback about questions and issues on the boards here though. Are you guys gonna support this thing or what?

Hardware support, which this particular issue appears to be, is handled by the respective television manufacturers.

jp1 wrote:
I like the experience a lot, want to know that firmware updates are in the pipeline though.

They just announced two new manufacturers coming on board this week at CES, Haier and Insignia, as well as plans for new 4K versions sometime in the near(?) future. That's a pretty solid indication that the product isn't going to die off anytime soon. Roku is still releasing firmware updates for STBs that were discontinued nearly three years ago, so it'd be pretty shocking if they chose not to release any firmware updates for their newest product line.

Yes, this was a poor choice of thread to post that comment in. They are very quiet about this product line though. I think people really won't understand the difference without experiencing it. I have some relative that NEED this tv, they can't manage to work the regular sets. :lol:

Anyway, it looks like I'm holding on to my Roku set for a bedroom. Puts me in over budget, but I'll just sell off some gear...I like it too much to box it up and return it. Truly awesome experience for a television, I wish every tv were a Roku tv.

Beyond Frustrated

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Knuckle and Endless- I changed radio mode to G only and it connected instantly (similar issues as Nobhillbilly and Endless). It hasn't dropped for the night and shows excellent strength. What does that mean exactly? How will it affect my other wifi connections? Should I consider it a short term fix? It FINALLY works which is fantastic, but I'm flying blind on what I'm changing on my router. Thanks so much for the suggestion and any further schooling would be helpful.

SRad1026

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:19 pm

Think of it as 3g vs 4g. Basically wireless N is faster and has more range then Wireless G. So any other devises you have that are wireless N compatible are now limited to G speeds.

I disabled ping and switched to G only and it connected instantly. I then called the support line and after explaining to the guy what wireless G and N were was told it was an issue with my router or cable connection and to call my cable company. Doesn't even make sense. I then called back and got the same guy :(. Think I'm gonna wait a few days and see if I can get someone else.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 pm

SRad1026 wrote:
Think of it as 3g vs 4g. Basically wireless N is faster and has more range then Wireless G. So any other devises you have that are wireless N compatible are now limited to G speeds.

I disabled ping and switched to G only and it connected instantly. I then called the support line and after explaining to the guy what wireless G and N were was told it was an issue with my router or cable connection and to call my cable company. Doesn't even make sense. I then called back and got the same guy :(. Think I'm gonna wait a few days and see if I can get someone else.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, make sure you tell them about the MAC address being all 0s. That should clue them into what the issue is.
Disabling ping shouldn't be necessary, btw...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

SRad1026

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Sounds like I have a different problem then, maybe its firmware. After further testing I'm coming up with the following results.
1) With ping on and router set to mixed mode it won't connect.
2) With ping off and router set to mixed it says its connected and is listed in my routers client list but everything times out.
3) With router set to G the ping setting doesn't seem to matter and everything works fine.
In all three cases the mac address is listed as the same.

TheEndless

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:49 pm

SRad1026 wrote:
Sounds like I have a different problem then, maybe its firmware. After further testing I'm coming up with the following results.
1) With ping on and router set to mixed mode it won't connect.
2) With ping off and router set to mixed it says its connected and is listed in my routers client list but everything times out.
3) With router set to G the ping setting doesn't seem to matter and everything works fine.
In all three cases the mac address is listed as the same.

In my experience, the MAC address would change to all zeros after the connection failed, then a scan for networks would return nothing until I rebooted. If that's not the behavior you're seeing, then it's probably a different issue.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jp1

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 pm

This just happened on my TCL. It happened in the middle of watching a show, and it is not rebooting nicely. I guess it is time to order that ethernet adapter, I should have been preemptive. I held out hopes it was isolated incident.

EDIT: Well, it turned out a reboot took care of it. Still purchasing a wired adapter, it's worth the price for piece of mind.

BradC

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:57 pm

yep, sorry I defended smart TVs earlier in this thread.

My TCL seems to randomly reboot while watching stuff, and tonight in the middle of streaming, it lost wifi, and could not find any other networks (so it's not my router)

Disable network pings and then soft reboot seemed to solve the problem ...for now.

:(

mavsguy842

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:01 pm

My 55" TCL Roku TV (working properly for the last month and a half) suddenly dropped its wifi connection. It would not complete a search for wifi networks no matter how long I let it try, and I could not get it to restart no matter how long I let it try (said "Restarting..." for 10 minutes before I gave up and unplugged it).

TCL's online chat is broken and they don't staff their support phone 24hrs a day.

After I unplugged it, plugged it back in and turned it on I checked wifi. It was now connected. I then checked for a system update. Though it said it had last checked for an update 6 hours ago, there was an update which I installed. When it restarted I was still connected to wifi.

kc8pql

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Like any computer, the first thing to do when there's a problem is re-boot.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

empirefalls

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm

It seems there are 3 or more different 55" model TCL.
One of them seems to have a good reputation " TCL 55" 55FS4610R "

rycb13

Sun May 17, 2015 4:35 pm

I know this thread's pretty old, but hopefully someone in the know will see this.

I have a 48" TCL Roku TV. It's never been able to find a wireless network. Sometimes I have a MAC address and sometimes it's all zeros. After going through all the troubleshooting options in this thread (and a few other places online) I got the recommended Belkin dongle and connected my TV via ethernet. Used the instructions on connection order and doing a reboot, but the TV still just wants to look for a wifi signal. After screwing around with some secret menu stuff I got the set to "see" the ethernet connection and finally give me an IP address that wasn't all zeros (and it does say Via Ethernet). I was able to do a system update from the secret screen, so I know my ethernet connection is working and able to transmit data. But I still can't use any of my Roku features. I've tried hitting the dedicated buttons on the remote for Netflix and stuff, but it just gives me a binging noise and does nothing. There doesn't seem to be an option to set-up my Roku account that isn't first going to try to connect to a wifi network. Help?

SGS

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Ok guys, first post here, but I have the fix for this. Lay the TV down on a soft surface, screen down, and remove all of the screws in the back so you can remove the back cover. It helps to lift the right side (what would be the left side of the TV if you were watching it) first, as the cover has a small tab near the video inputs.

After the cover is off, locate the WiFi card, which is on the bottom right. Mine says "Roku WM03". This is what needs to be grounded. The silver metallic cover simply needs a ground wire attached and ran to a chassis screw somewhere. You can solder it, but I didn't. I just stripped the end of a wire and taped it to the cover. Ran the wire over to a screw near the bracket for the pedestal mount. I taped the wire in a few places to make sure it didn't move around.

Replace the cover, and you should be in business.

rycb13

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:49 pm

Ok guys, first post here, but I have the fix for this. Lay the TV down on a soft surface, screen down, and remove all of the screws in the back so you can remove the back cover. It helps to lift the right side (what would be the left side of the TV if you were watching it) first, as the cover has a small tab near the video inputs.

After the cover is off, locate the WiFi card, which is on the bottom right. Mine says "Roku WM03". This is what needs to be grounded. The silver metallic cover simply needs a ground wire attached and ran to a chassis screw somewhere. You can solder it, but I didn't. I just stripped the end of a wire and taped it to the cover. Ran the wire over to a screw near the bracket for the pedestal mount. I taped the wire in a few places to make sure it didn't move around.

Replace the cover, and you should be in business.

Just did this and it actually worked. And was also really simple. Wish TCL would just tell us this instead of all the cryptic nonsense.