Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JW1200
Topic Author

Get my Roku 3 to see my flash drive in my router?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:02 am

Question: How do I get my Roku3 to see the flash drive I put in my router? (Roku3 4200X ver. 5.6 build 60 )

OK, I think the usb port on my Roku3 has died. I use a Centron Datastick Pro flash drive, with MP4 files on it, converted with Handbrake. I have used it in my Roku3 with no trouble until this week, the Roku3 does not see it now. I have 2 Roku2SX's and the flash drive still works fine in their USP ports, which leads me to believe the usb port in the Roku3 is dead.

I have a Linksys EA3500 router, with a usb port. When I plug the flash drive into the router all of the computers on my home network see the flash drive, but none of my Roku's see it. Do any of you folks know what adjustments I can make to my router that would allow my Roku's to see the flash drive? I use Roku Media Player to access my flash drives.

TIA......

Elijah_Baley

Re: Get my Roku 3 to see my flash drive in my router?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:56 am

If your Router will treat the drive as a DLNA device or, I think, UPnP then there are several ways to read the files off the drive. RMP and Chaneru will both access DLNA devices.

If the router only makes the drive a Network share then you will have to run a server to access it.
There are many channels that read drives off of various servers running on a computer. Note: Some routers can also run a server like Apache.

Plex uses its native server
Chaneru uses its native server or many DLNA servers.
Roksbox uses Apache and others
RMP can use a DLNA server.
and there are a number of others

I run a dedicated Plex server on my network but I access a bit more than a few files off one drive. Due to already having an extensive collection and receiving an inheritance of a very large DVD library I have almost 2000 movies and over 200 complete TV series.

While a dedicated Plex server works for me it may be overkill for someone with just a few files on one drive.

Remember that to access files anywhere except connected via the USB port there must be a server running somewhere to serve the files to the Roku and the Roku must be running a channel that can read from that server. No Roku channel can read directly from a network shared drive without a server.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

dgrace

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:27 am

My Roku will not see a USB device if I use a cable extender to hide the device inside or behind my cabinet. The flashing and blinking is annoying when watching in a darkened room, but the cable for some reason makes any usb device not visible.
Just a thought.
Also, my router (dlink) has a usb port but it requires a program be running on a PC to access any drive attached to it.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

JW1200
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Thank you for the info. I will remember all that.