Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Jim Campbell
Topic Author

Roku 2 - how to add a radio station? or IP radio tuner?

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:11 pm

I simply want to add 1 station to Roku 2 - Cafe Cody out of Majorca, Spain. With my old (dead) Roku Soundbridge 1001, this was simple. Now I can't access RadioRoku, and none of the players supported in Canada allow me to access Cafe Cody via their products (ie Spotify, Slacker, etc etc) I loaded Batplayer , and if the site wasn't frozen on my PC for reasons I don't know, I might be able to add my 1 station. Pandora and some others don't work here, and Spotify is a Canadian version of the US model, as is the Roku 2.

It can't be this hard, can it? C'mon Roku, you started with IP radio, and now I can't access a decent one. Can I use http://www.radioroku.com/index.php console and add the Roku 2 device and then add my station(s)? Is there a software IP radio I can load as a Roku channel? I checked private channels and found none available.

Update: Tried to manually add the IP device(Roku 2) to the Roku Soundbridge console, but the console can't "see" it. so I guess that's out.

Anyone?

twiceover

Re: Roku 2 - how to add a radio station? or IP radio tuner?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:10 am

It's available from TuneIn Radio and there is a TuneIn Radio Roku Channel.

I'd start there.

Jim Campbell
Topic Author

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:01 pm

TuneIn radio does offer that station on my PC however when I use the search function on TV w/roku 2, the station is "not supported".

I emailed TuneIn 'help' and got 0 replies. Thanks for the idea though.

danat275

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Tune in Radio app is way outdated,and most of the good stations ya can't play anymore,it needs to seriously be updated and more roku friendly..

dupondt

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Jim Campbell wrote:
TuneIn radio does offer that station on my PC however when I use the search function on TV w/roku 2, the station is "not supported".

Bad luck, I'm afraid: the Roku 2 can't play Café Cody because the station offers an AAC stream only. Roku's streaming player doesn't support AAC in audio-only mode, although AAC is part of the video formats the Roku supports.

As you have already found out Roku's streaming players can't use Radio Roku and there are no workarounds. But even if the streaming players would have access to Radio Roku they wouldn't be capable of playing Cafe Cody and thousands of other stations using AAC for their internet streams.

Greetings
dupondt

PS @ danat275: Tunein's app for the Roku is by no means outdated, their radio station database is one of the world's largest and gets updated every day. It's the firmware of the Roku's that limits the number of playable radio stations.
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

thetick

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:55 pm

iHeartRadio and Pandora channels work well with my Roku3. I don't use the TuneIn channel.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / Disney XD / PBS / Smithsonian
PC / Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 pm

dupondt wrote:
Jim Campbell wrote:

Bad luck, I'm afraid: the Roku 2 can't play Café Cody because the station offers an AAC stream only. Roku's streaming player doesn't support AAC in audio-only mode, although AAC is part of the video formats the Roku supports.

As you have already found out Roku's streaming players can't use Radio Roku and there are no workarounds. But even if the streaming players would have access to Radio Roku they wouldn't be capable of playing Cafe Cody and thousands of other stations using AAC for their internet streams.

Greetings
dupondt

PS @ danat275: Tunein's app for the Roku is by no means outdated, their radio station database is one of the world's largest and gets updated every day. It's the firmware of the Roku's that limits the number of playable radio stations.

Actually... according to RokuDale, the Roku firmware does now support AAC+ streams: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73788&p=455675#p455675
The internet radio channels just need to be updated to add support as well (most, presumably, filter them out). I'm looking into this for my SHOUTcast channel.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:47 am

that would be awesome
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Jim Campbell
Topic Author

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 pm

thetick wrote:
iHeartRadio and Pandora channels work well with my Roku3. I don't use the TuneIn channel.

Pandora, as per my 1st post, is not available in Canada due to our federal regulations and licencing issues. I heart radio channel cannot be added in Canada, so the Cdn. Roku software obviously prevents this from installation as it does for Hulu, Pandora, etc etc etc.
Last edited by Jim Campbell on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Campbell
Topic Author

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:03 pm

dupondt wrote:
Jim Campbell wrote:

Greetings
dupondt

You are correct. I've been able to confirm Roku is working on or has already introduced AAC. Batplayer.fm for Roku also will support AAC, and apparently beta versions have proven it works. So I guess it's now just a waiting game. thanks for confirming - and clarifying, refreshing these days! Much appreciated.

gabek

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Hello, I'm the developer of The Bat Player. Just found out recently that Roku supports AAC, so I'm making some tweaks to the channel to be able to specifically add these streams. It should open up a wider world of internet radio to everybody. I'll keep you posted!

dupondt

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:24 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Actually... according to RokuDale, the Roku firmware does now support AAC+ streams: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73788&p=455675#p455675
The internet radio channels just need to be updated to add support as well (most, presumably, filter them out).

Many thanks for the link. I checked the SDK docs before posting and couldn't find any information that AAC support had been added. It isn't even mentioned in the release notes which is the place where such information should be given.

I don't think that a sentence like "The component understands the following streamformat values: 'mp3', 'wma', 'mp4', 'hls', 'es.aac-adts', 'flac'" in the RoAudioPlayer section of the Component Reference will be enough to inform developers like Tunein that support for a widely used stream format has been added, especially as in section 9.0 of the Developer Guide Roku still informs that "We only support .wma and .mp3 audio files in the audio player".

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

gabek

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:27 pm

If you're still looking for something to stream AAC with I've updated The Bat Player to support AAC audio when adding stations. Let me know if you run into any issues!
https://owner.roku.com/add/VBJV6