Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Tekneek
Topic Author

Dish announces Sling TV - will be available on Roku.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 am

http://www.cnet.com/news/dish-launches- ... pn-disney/

"The $20 Sling TV base package includes ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and the "best of Internet video" with Maker Studios. Add-on packs with additional kids and news programming will be available for $5 each."

"The service is scheduled to be available in the coming weeks -- no exact launch date was given -- on an impressive array of Internet-connected devices, including game consoles, Roku media streamers, PCs, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, and iOS and Android smartphones and tablets."

This comes out of what they've accomplished with Dish World, I believe. In fact, I think they are beta testing this offering with a portion of the Dish World customer base at the moment. I expect this new Sling TV suite of channels to be available on or around February 3 (assuming no showstoppers are found) when that beta window closes.

scyber

Re: Dish announces Sling TV - will be available on Roku.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 am

I may finally cut the cord with this. I just need to get an antenna that can get my OTA channels from 55 miles away. ESPN (for me) and HGTV (for the wife) are the big ones in this package.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Looks like a decent package for the price however I have seen elsewhere (http://www.wxow.com/story/27762738/gadget-show-tv-channels-delivered-by-internet-new-tv-sets) that NFL games will be blacked out on the ESPN channel with this package. No mention I have seen if the MLB games will be available.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

wildecard

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:12 pm

scyber wrote:
I may finally cut the cord with this. I just need to get an antenna that can get my OTA channels from 55 miles away. ESPN (for me) and HGTV (for the wife) are the big ones in this package.

I'm about the same distance as you are from my local stations. I am using an [url]HBU44[/url] antenna and have had great results. http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-DAS-HBU44-HBU44-Antenna/dp/B003EAW7A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420488630&sr=8-1&keywords=hbu44 Of course there are a lot of factors that play into how well your signal will be at your place. Good luck. We switched a year ago and with the Roku and Netflix and Amazon Prime we haven't regretted it at all.

mike_ekim

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm

DaBronx wrote:
Looks like a decent package for the price however I have seen elsewhere (http://www.wxow.com/story/27762738/gadget-show-tv-channels-delivered-by-internet-new-tv-sets) that NFL games will be blacked out on the ESPN channel with this package. No mention I have seen if the MLB games will be available.

brett

Correction: "NFL games will be blocked on mobile devices, however, because Verizon has those rights."

At this point I'm paying for Cable so I can have HBO and AMC. HBO will soon be standalone, and I only watch one show on AMC. Sorry cable: Winter is coming.

Heyitsrick

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:56 pm

mike_ekim wrote:

At this point I'm paying for Cable so I can have HBO and AMC. HBO will soon be standalone, and I only watch one show on AMC. Sorry cable: Winter is coming.

Perhaps...but what remains to be seen is what the total price will be for all the programming one wants. In other words, will cable bundling sometimes (or worse - often times) end up less expensive in the end than a la carte streaming subscriptions? And will the costs for broadband-only go up vs. broadband bundled with cable TV? These are the unanswered questions we face.

It's ironic in a sense that we don't want caps on broadband data, but when it comes to things like electricity usage, we do, in fact, pay for what we actually use. That's akin to the unbundled paradigm people wish for with programming. At some point in the unbundled world, we will be making some trade-offs on rarely watched channels. Where we take the AMC's of the world for granted, soon it may come down to "well, how many shows do I watch on AMC, and are those shows available (legally) elsewhere at a satisfactory price point?" We may be forgoing entertainment we would have ordinarily consumed in the current system because it doesn't make economic sense. For that matter, these channels themselves might not continue to exist in a subscription-only universe. Bottom line: as always - be careful what you wish for. There are always unintended consequences.

gkl

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:53 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
DaBronx wrote:

brett

Correction: "NFL games will be blocked on mobile devices, however, because Verizon has those rights."

You can watch Walking Dead through Vudu, Amazon, iTunes, etc. for $42/current season in HD or $27 for SD. You don't need cable for that.

I only want ESPN and ESPN2, for which I'd pay $10-$12/month. Still a bundle, albeit smaller. But it's a start.

Any chance we can authenticate and watch ESPN and ESPN2 through the WatchESPN channel without loading the Sling channel?
Last edited by gkl on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

gkl

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:

Perhaps...but what remains to be seen is what the total price will be for all the programming one wants. In other words, will cable bundling sometimes (or worse - often times) end up less expensive in the end than a la carte streaming subscriptions? And will the costs for broadband-only go up vs. broadband bundled with cable TV? These are the unanswered questions we face.

It's ironic in a sense that we don't want caps on broadband data, but when it comes to things like electricity usage, we do, in fact, pay for what we actually use. That's akin to the unbundled paradigm people wish for with programming. At some point in the unbundled world, we will be making some trade-offs on rarely watched channels. Where we take the AMC's of the world for granted, soon it may come down to "well, how many shows do I watch on AMC, and are those shows available (legally) elsewhere at a satisfactory price point?" We may be forgoing entertainment we would have ordinarily consumed in the current system because it doesn't make economic sense. For that matter, these channels themselves might not continue to exist in a subscription-only universe. Bottom line: as always - be careful what you wish for. There are always unintended consequences.

Most of the cable shows are already unbundled via Vudu, Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

kbd48

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Most of those channels don't interest me. My guess is ESPN is costing the most in that package, and it would interest me the least. We need a la carte. Let me pick out 5-7 cable channels I might actually watch and then I'm interested :-)
The good news is this may be the crack in the dam that brings a la carte.

Heyitsrick

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:15 pm

gkl wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:

But those are adjuncts to the primary method of distribution: cable and satellite and the subscriber fees that go with them. AMC makes most of its money from cable distribution. Would they make the same if cable - as we know it - went away? http://qz.com/114483/amc-is-succeeding- ... elevision/

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating against unbundling or against subscription streaming vs. cable. I'm just saying it's not so cut and dried.

DaBronx

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 pm

55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

shadoecat

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:32 pm

I just want a package with NatGeo Wild, and AHC, what used to be the Military Channel. None of the available packages available now have that. Not counting WoWTV, as I wouldn't touch that with a 39 1/2 Foot Pole.

knuckle

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:00 pm

39 1/2 Foot Pole

Grinch fan?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

shadoecat

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:09 pm

knuckle wrote:
39 1/2 Foot Pole

Grinch fan?

How'd you guess? ;)

gkl

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
gkl wrote:

But those are adjuncts to the primary method of distribution: cable and satellite and the subscriber fees that go with them. AMC makes most of its money from cable distribution. Would they make the same if cable - as we know it - went away? http://qz.com/114483/amc-is-succeeding- ... elevision/

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating against unbundling or against subscription streaming vs. cable. I'm just saying it's not so cut and dried.

Your talking about what may come to be. I'm talking about what is today. Today the shows are unbundled at a reasonable price via services such as Vudu. I can only make decisions about how to watch TV today. Neither of us know what options will be available in the future. If the pricing changes, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)