Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gkl

Re: Dish announces Sling TV - will be available on Roku.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
gkl wrote:
I'm perfectly satisfied with the video quality I get streaming. Maybe the difference is that I'm not really concerned about having a few more pixels of information. I'm watching the content. I watch games on ESPN3 via my Roku all the time. The picture is great. Talk about a first world "problem".

Well, if that's the criteria we're using, then anything and everything in this forum is a "first world problem", no? Let's just go with the notion for some people, video and audio is more important than for others and leave it at that. There's no right or wrong there. For me, if I'm going to spend a lot of $$$ on a great HDTV and home theater audio system, I'm going to want content whose audio/video quality lets them shine. But that's me.

I don't think I'm alone in that, but sometimes I've seen people with HDTVs that don't even have them tuned to the HD version of a channel, lol. And if you point it out to them, they'll be like "Eh? I don't see the difference." It used to make me nuts, but I get that now. Everyone's different.

I agree completely. Don't get me wrong, all other things being equal, I'll take the higher resolution. I'm just not willing to pay 33% more for content to get it in most cases.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Heyitsrick

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:42 pm

FX4 wrote:
brg88tx wrote:
FX4 wrote:
You guys think you are getting better video from DirecTV or cable than streaming? Umm, no, those pictures have been compressed and decompressed several times before they hit your television screen. Each cycle loses resolution.

I know without a doubt my regular ole dishnetwork through satellite is way clearer than any stream I've ever seen, especially on fast scenes like sports.

I know for a fact that is not true. I helped build in small part that system. That picture is compressed and decompressed three or four times before you ever see it. A 9Meg video stream is nearly that of Blue-Ray, not quite but close, satellite and cable don't even come close to approaching that level of detail. One of the reasons I got rid of DirecTV, the mpeg artifacts drove me up a wall. I do not see those issues streaming in HDX or whatever they call it from Netflix.

Are you saying the quality of a 9 Mbps video stream is nearly that of Blu-Ray, or are you saying Blu-Ray's actual bitrate is in the 9 Mbps range? If the latter, you are way off. Blu-Ray movies probably average high 20's to mid 30's in terms of total bitrate, from every stat I've seen. And for streaming videos at today's internet bandwidth to get close to Blu-Ray quality, they need, of course, significant video and audio compression applied.

FX4

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 pm

With the newer codecs yes it's close. Believe me I spent two years staring at television screens looking at video quality. The current codecs do an impressive job with compression and decompression. The video you stream from high quality sources gets compressed once maybe twice before you see it, your cable - satellite provider it has been compressed and decompressed several times before you ever see. Those compression cycles leave digital artifacts all over the place. About as good as it gets is a live sports stream venue but compare that to an OTA 1080i picture and even then the compression from cable/satellite providers is very evident.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

jp1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Vudu is nowhere near bluray quality. Not even same ballpark. Even Blurays are compressed a great deal, the further you compress the image the worse it will be, no matter the codec. Obviously the distributors who are encoding Blurays have access to top end equipment and the best codecs, otherwise there wouldn't be a point.

It all depends on what you consider "close". Is it 1080p? Sure. It will most definitely have compression artifacts, black crush, loss of shadow detail, less accurate color reproduction, and in almost all cases inferior sound. That is a fact. If quality really matters to you, you want the highest bitrate you can get. I own 77 HDX VUDU movies, not a single one of them can touch a bluray for quality and they all max out on my DSL. Netflix SUPERHD is even worse.

Bacon

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 am

I'm just glad it doesn't appear to be using a boring stock Roku channel interface.

gkl

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 am

Bacon wrote:
I'm just glad it doesn't appear to be using a boring stock Roku channel interface.

My hope is that it does offer the option of authenticating through existing Roku channels, however. I'd much rather use WatchESPN than to load the Sling TV channel and have my kids get addicted to the other offerings, because I intend to only subscribe during college football and basketball seasons and then cancel for the remainder of the year. I don't want my kids harping on why daddy is taking away The Disney Channel, which I don't want them watching in the first place.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Tekneek
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:28 am

gkl wrote:
[quote="Bacon"I don't want my kids harping on why daddy is taking away The Disney Channel, which I don't want them watching in the first place.

I am not exactly a fan of the programming on the current incarnation of The Disney Channel, but I'm curious why you feel so strongly about it.

gkl

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:28 am

Tekneek wrote:
gkl wrote:
[quote="Bacon"I don't want my kids harping on why daddy is taking away The Disney Channel, which I don't want them watching in the first place.

I am not exactly a fan of the programming on the current incarnation of The Disney Channel, but I'm curious why you feel so strongly about it.

Because it teaches children to disrespect their parents. When we last had it (a couple of years ago before we cut the cord), it seemed as if every father was a sophomoric doofus and every mother a narcissistic airhead. The kids were all smarter than their parents and when they needed advice, they turned to their peers. Disney Junior and Disney XD are fine, but I can't stand The Disney Channel. My kids are now weaned off of it (my youngest still watches Disney XD reruns on Netflix); no need to get them re-addicted.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 am

:) Well said.When my kids were teens they thought dad was out of the loop when it came to advice.They thought things had changed and dear old dad just didn't get the world or their generation.Today I can't count all the times my now adult children have admitted to me that they wished they had followed my advice back then.I am not the type to tell them "I told you so" but then again I didn't have to.

Props gkl for being a responsible parent
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

kc8pql

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:11 pm

knuckle wrote:
When my kids were teens they thought dad was out of the loop when it came to advice.They thought things had changed and dear old dad just didn't get the world or their generation.

Nothing new there. That's normal. I thought the same about my parents, and I'm 64. The Clevers never existed. :wink:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

gkl

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:14 pm

kc8pql wrote:
knuckle wrote:
When my kids were teens they thought dad was out of the loop when it came to advice.They thought things had changed and dear old dad just didn't get the world or their generation.

Nothing new there. That's normal. I thought the same about my parents, and I'm 64. The Clevers never existed. :wink:

Yeah, neither do the characters on The Disney Channel. There is a difference between the typical teenager having that attitude toward his parents and a mass media outlet feeding and watering it. But, to each his own. I don't want my children watching it and, so, I eliminated it from my home.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Tekneek
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:36 am

gkl wrote:
Tekneek wrote:
gkl wrote:

Because it teaches children to disrespect their parents. When we last had it (a couple of years ago before we cut the cord), it seemed as if every father was a sophomoric doofus and every mother a narcissistic airhead. The kids were all smarter than their parents and when they needed advice, they turned to their peers. Disney Junior and Disney XD are fine, but I can't stand The Disney Channel. My kids are now weaned off of it (my youngest still watches Disney XD reruns on Netflix); no need to get them re-addicted.

Cool, we feel the same way. Our kids still sometimes watch some of the shows through Netflix or when they visit their grandparents, but we don't have a Pay TV subscription at home. We talk about what these shows are (entertainment) and that none of this is real life. It truly is a disappointment what Disney has done with their flagship channel, given the wealth of cool and interesting things they could be doing with it.

mikebdoss

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:39 am

You guys know you can overcome the apparent evil, subversive horror of the Disney Channel with good parenting, right?

Tekneek
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:07 am

mikebdoss wrote:
You guys know you can overcome the apparent evil, subversive horror of the Disney Channel with good parenting, right?

For me that is not the main issue, it is that Disney shovels a large amount of crap on that channel. Somewhere along the way they decided to market The Disney Channel at a particular demographic and act as if it has almost no connection to anything else commonly associated with the name Disney. They could do so much better, but these days you can find much better examples of Disney productions on TCM and Netflix.

gkl

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

You are making this out to be more than it is. I don't like the message, so I don't make it readily available. I'm sure they used to still watch it at friends' homes. I didn't forbid it. I just cut off easy access. It is as simple as that.

If it doesn't bother you, fine. Part of good parenting involves making those type of decisions and I've never felt compelled to insist that every other parent make the same decisions I've made.

Geez.
Mohu Sky attic antenna
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)