Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario

Re: Will You Be Adding Sling TV To Your Roku?

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 am

makila wrote:
beq wrote:
NimbleTV Pro subscribers may now be forced to look elsewhere such as Sling TV. Which is perhaps what Dish wanted? :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=80969

The problem is that I am living abroad. NimbleTv worked abroad. Does Sling TV work abroad? I heard rumours it will be USA ONLY. If that is the case, Sling Tv would be pretty much useless to me.

Hello:

Given the uncertain future of NimbleTV and the fact that you live abroad, I recommend you turn to USTVNow service on Roku. It will offer more cable channels including local national channels. Mind you, USTVNow's channels are those local to PA. As far as price, it is comparable to the NimbleTV Pro plan but with a slightly smaller selection of channels. Hope this tip helps.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

bitchkat

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:08 am

Basil wrote:
One report said that the NFL games were not going to be included because of Verizon exclusive deal with the league. College football is a go, to my understanding.

NFL games are not included on mobile devices due to a contract with Verizon. That does not affect set top boxes like Roku.

wesley89

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 pm

I rarely watched those channels when I had cable. It sounds like satellite and cable are getting desperate. Apparently they aren't desperate enough yet. -wes

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 pm

wesley89 wrote:
I rarely watched those channels when I had cable. It sounds like satellite and cable are getting desperate. Apparently they aren't desperate enough yet. -wes

Everyone likes different things. I watched enough of those channels to make this a worthy entertainment expense for me. This isn't "desperate" as much as it's "capitalize on new tech and new ways of doing things".

beq

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:04 pm

makila wrote:
beq wrote:
NimbleTV Pro subscribers may now be forced to look elsewhere such as Sling TV. Which is perhaps what Dish wanted? :wink:

The problem is that I am living abroad. NimbleTv worked abroad. Does Sling TV work abroad? I heard rumours it will be USA ONLY. If that is the case, Sling Tv would be pretty much useless to me.

Very good question! I have travelling family members (some will be leaving the states again in a couple months). Anyone knows for sure?

vnazario wrote:
USTVNow

That does seem especially appropriate here since it's targetted to ex-pats. Plus it has DVR and multiple simultaneous streams. Stability could be improved though.

kbd48
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Just looked over the Reddit AMA:
http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/com ... ger_lynch/
I think it is going to be very interesting to see how popular this service becomes, and if cable providers soon launch their own similarly trimmed down OTT packages. My big concern was brought up several times, the one stream limit. That is just not going to work for many people, with dad wanting to watch sports and the kid wanting to watch Disney. They are going to have to address that issue soon I think.

RockYou

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:07 pm

kbd48 wrote:
I know there is a larger thread about Sling TV, but I'm interested in comments from those who actually plan on using the service.
You can sign up for an email notice for when Sling TV starts here:
http://www.sling.com/

Not being interested in ESPN I don't expect to use the service year around. But I can see using it periodically, especially when Network TV slows down at the end of summer and early autumn. Perhaps sign up for a month or two to add some programming options, particularly for TNT, TBS, and the Family Channel. Also very interested in the $5 add-ons and will be looking at those when the time comes.
Are you planning on using the Sling TV service?

I do [sort of] have a plan to use the service once it becomes available. They'll have to drop ESPN and offer a sub-$10/mo package in order to get my money. (Yes, I expect ESPN does jack up the price that much.) One of the $5 add-on packages looks interesting, too. Now, if they start to offer an even more a la carte package down the road... well, that would be even better.

beq

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:03 pm

kbd48 wrote:
My big concern was brought up several times, the one stream limit. That is just not going to work for many people, with dad wanting to watch sports and the kid wanting to watch Disney. They are going to have to address that issue soon I think.

FWIW DishWorld lets you buy additional streams for an extra $5/mo each, up to a max of 3 total streams. Not sure if they'll bring that capability to Sling TV or not.

I also wonder if Sling TV will be one of the first OTT live TV services with Close Captioning support? I remember that Aereo had been working to add CC, though I don't recall if they ever implemented it before the service was discontinued.

kbd48
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:22 pm

beq wrote:
FWIW DishWorld lets you buy additional streams for an extra $5/mo each, up to a max of 3 total streams. Not sure if they'll bring that capability to Sling TV or not.

I hope they do. That would be a smart move.

makila

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 am

beq wrote:
makila wrote:
beq wrote:

Very good question! I have travelling family members (some will be leaving the states again in a couple months). Anyone knows for sure?

vnazario wrote:
USTVNow

Let us continue in the NimbleTV Thread.

kbd48
Topic Author

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:29 pm

After reading this FAQ
http://help.sling.com/FAQs
I'm a bit less enthused. Sounds like no 3 day playback option on TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network.
I hope they offer a week free trial to see if this is something worthwhile or not.