Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

asparagus
Topic Author

6.1 update and "HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled."

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:43 pm

So, I've had my Roku 3 hooked up to a 720p TV for over a year. When the device auto-updated Jan 14, I've been receiving the "HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled." screen constantly. I have managed to get it to work 3 or 4 times (completely random without any consistency) by unplugging the Roku 3 and repowering the unit with everything else on. Switching cables does nothing to fix it. Prior to researching the error this week, nothing in the setup had ever been disconnected since it was hooked up.

Anyone else having this problem or have any solutions?

rogdog

Re: 6.1 update and "HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled."

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:56 pm

I experienced "HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled." the other day on one of my 3 ROKU 3's. I have never seen this pre firmware 6.1 but have only had my Roku's for a couple of months.

The ROKU that was affected is connected to the TV via a DENON surround sound receiver. I unable to play any Youtube videso at the time (didn't try any other channels). Power cycled both the TV and DENON and problem was resolved. I didn't power cycle the ROKU but think I restarted the YouTube channel.

asparagus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:38 pm

This is making me crazy ... all channels that spit out video produce the HDCP error ... including trying to use the USB Media and the PLEX channel ... which is really ridiculous since these are items I already have a recording of.

Reboots of the TV, Roku, or the HDMI audio breakout box all fail to resolve the issue. Cables and hardware are not the issue as they worked flawlessly for a year prior to the firmware update.

Roku broke the HDMI handshake in this update ... and have thus broke the Roku.

asparagus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:22 pm

I've done the online tech support and have been walked through a hard physical reset (hold the tiny button under the power jack in for 30 seconds). It's working for now and I hope that it won't require this everytime I turn my system back on.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:28 pm

asparagus wrote:
I've done the online tech support and have been walked through a hard physical reset (hold the tiny button under the power jack in for 30 seconds). It's working for now and I hope that it won't require this everytime I turn my system back on.

There was a handshaking bug a year or so ago that was similar. Simply unplugging the HDMI cable and then plugging it back in worked in that case, so you might give it a try if it happens again.

Other than what's been posted to this thread, I haven't received any other reports like this.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

cissaru

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm definitely having this same problem and queuing through support right now. While waiting (#2 in line) I'm going to go ahead and mention I have tried unpowering the device, changing resolution settings, changing cables, reversing cables, trying on a different television, buying a cable, and a hard reset. And I can still see like the title information and all the regular screen menus, it just won't play video and it's rather annoying.

gutter_maker

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Received my Roku 3 model 4200 as a Christmas present, added all my channels and completed registration this past week.
I am getting nothing but the error message of this thread. I was online chat, waited 42 minutes, finally got my live agent.
He walked me thru changing cables, disconnecting them, plugging back in. Then a hard reset, had to reregister, add
channels AGAIN, then got the same screen. Thoroughly disgusted. He said try on another TV, I don't have another model of a
Display. I own two Dell WD4200's. He said, "Sorry" I am trying to find some equipment to strip the HDCP out of the HDMI
Signal. I hate having to spend more money on this setup. Any one else have a suggestion?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:50 pm

gutter_maker wrote:
Received my Roku 3 model 4200 as a Christmas present, added all my channels and completed registration this past week.
I am getting nothing but the error message of this thread. I was online chat, waited 42 minutes, finally got my live agent.
He walked me thru changing cables, disconnecting them, plugging back in. Then a hard reset, had to reregister, add
channels AGAIN, then got the same screen. Thoroughly disgusted. He said try on another TV, I don't have another model of a
Display. I own two Dell WD4200's. He said, "Sorry" I am trying to find some equipment to strip the HDCP out of the HDMI
Signal. I hate having to spend more money on this setup. Any one else have a suggestion?

The Dell WD4200 is a 10 year old plasma. It's entirely possible it doesn't support HDCP over HDMI. Based on the specs, it does support HDCP over the DVI connection, though, so getting an HDMI to DVI cable is probably your cheapest solution, but you'll lose audio. Buying something that will strip out the HDCP will cost you significantly more.
Last edited by TheEndless on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

gutter_maker

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Roku up and streaming my movies AT LAST, thanks to some great guys on this thread. Thanks Endless.

Heyitsrick

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:20 am

gutter_maker wrote:
Roku up and streaming my movies AT LAST, thanks to some great guys on this thread. Thanks Endless.

Hey, don't let this thread die with secrets about exactly what steps were taken to remedy the problem. Do tell, please.

TheEndless

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:34 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
gutter_maker wrote:

Hey, don't let this thread die with secrets about exactly what steps were taken to remedy the problem. Do tell, please.

The solution, in this case, is/was to disable HDCP.

MaximS

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:38 pm

I'd like to chime in - recently noticed that every time I am turning on TV [with Roku always on] the input Roku on blinks several times [as I didn't see that before]. Sure enough today I had "HDCP unauthorized" message as well. I have tried the following:

1. turning on/off Roku - didn't help.
2. sweeping HDMI cables [keeping the same input port] - didn't help.
3. changing input port - didn't help.
4. changing resolution from 720 to 1080 with combination of items 1 to 3 - didn't help.
5. tried another TV [brand new Smart TV] - didn't help, which is a clear indication that Roku is the very root of this issue.
6. completely unplugging TV and Roku, sweeping inputs - that seems to help.

hjim21

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:05 am

I just purchased a 2015 model ROKU 3 player and I am getting the "HDCP unauthorized" message when I actually try to play any content but, I am only having this problem on my LG tv. My Samsung TV plays just fine with the exact same equipment. Any issues with LG tvs I need to be aware of?