Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Dire
Topic Author

Amazon UK and adding channels from the web.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:18 am

I have searched the forum as best I can - but as "UK" is an ignored search term it was a tough search to find relevant posts - My questions/problems are these:

1. The Amazon Prime Roku App is not available in the UK, it's on iOS, Android, games consoles, ALL other streamers and smart TVs but not the Roku - And I can't understand why - Amazon help is worse than useless, as all you get is a copy/paste of the Prime sales pitch. Is there an insurmountable problem with Prime in the UK and I should consign my 3 to the kids room and get a Fire TV? Don't Amazon want my money?

2. Adding channels from the web is disallowed for the UK? I can't understand why this might be, other than stopping us from installing Amazon Prime! Again is there a technical reason for this? or is it not an important enough market to develop the code for?

I know there are "ways" of streaming Prime to a UK Roku, but I can't be doing with that hassle - and to be honest as the Roku 3 was originally marketed with Prime as a service, I shouldn't need to.

Any insight would be awesome.

ACraigo

Re: Amazon UK and adding channels from the web.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 am

The 'reason' is that Roku is legally bound by one or more agreements with one or more UK products or services while other platforms are not (or don't care all that much). Really, Roku can do little else.

The best place to 'search' for info on this would be outside the forum - where you might find links to discussions inside the forum (strange, but there you go), like this one: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=67149

There's a rather good 'shell game' going on and apparently Sky is running the game and the UK consumer is 'the mark'. Sky holds all the magic shells and knows where the pea is at all times. If you've ever played a shell game, or a little game called 'find the queen', you know that you can't win, so it's best not to even play.

It's possible a Roku wasn't your best choice if Amazon Prime in the UK was your actual goal, but I can't confirm that as exhaustive searches on the matter turn up very little. Apparently Sky's game is a good one.

New UK members to the forum are often found here asking the same questions as you have and for as long as I've been here the answer is always the same in so many words. Sky is in charge. They don't want you to have any (or many) choices. Period.

Would an Amazon Fire TV be any better? Unknown. You can try some google searches on your end. My searches reveal very little.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

aamuk

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:15 am

After I recently bought the Roku 3 I also realised that you can't use Amazon Prime in the UK. There seem to be two stories out there why this is happening. It is either down to Amazon in the UK who have not made Prime available for whatever reason or it's because Sky have a stake in Roku and have somehow prevented Amazon from being on UK Roku devices. Take your pick of which one you think it is, but if it is the latter then that is anticompetitive and it should not be allowed. The same question has been asked many times over a very long time but a formal response has never been made to explain why it is not available.

With regards to adding channels from the web it does seem to work providing you happen to find a channel that is available in the UK region. However, finding channels that are for the UK region is a different problem. For example, try Flixter as that should install. Roku really need to improve their website to take account of the different regions and markets they are selling their devices in.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:17 am

ACraigo wrote:
New UK members to the forum are often found here asking the same questions as you have and for as long as I've been here the answer is always the same in so many words. Sky is in charge.

It should probably be noted that those answers have all been speculation from unhappy UK users. There have been no statements from Roku, Amazon or Sky.
No one else really knows.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

sharpedge

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:45 pm

A great place for Roku UK specific help is the Now TV box forums, they are very active. The Now TV box is a Sky branded Roku box.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box/bd-p/NOWTVBox