Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

coffeeboy
Topic Author

Where is Sling TV?? NOT slingbox, they are different!

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:56 pm

I keep seeing news about Sling TV available for Roku, but cannot find it. Where can this be found??
Last edited by coffeeboy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah_Baley

Re: Where is Sling TV??

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:03 pm

Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

coffeeboy
Topic Author

slingbox is NOT Sling TV

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/slingplayer-for-roku

slingbox is NOT Sling TV. Sling TV is a streaming live of cable channels for $20/month. It is new if you watch the news. It is NOT slingbox :lol:

Elijah_Baley

Re: slingbox is NOT Sling TV

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:16 pm

coffeeboy wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:

slingbox is NOT Sling TV. Sling TV is a streaming live of cable channels for $20/month. It is new if you watch the news. It is NOT slingbox :lol:

I don't watch news as I dislike being lied to and I am able to read but that is what comes up on a search for "Sling TV Roku" which is what you asked about.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

akstarr

Re: Where is Sling TV?? NOT slingbox, they are different!

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:20 pm

I went to the Sling tv site where it says they are currently invitation only. They give you the option to sign up for an invite with your email address, hope this helps.

coffeeboy
Topic Author

Re: slingbox is NOT Sling TV

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
coffeeboy wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:

I don't watch news as I dislike being lied to and I am able to read but that is what comes up on a search for "Sling TV Roku" which is what you asked about.

Sling TV was big news at this years CES. They used a Roku 3 to demonstrate. I did the search also before I posted. That is why I asked. It is NOT slingbox, not even similar things. Sling TV is new. It offers live cable channels, live, without any other devices. I am not sure why it was demonstrated with a Roku 3 when it obviously is not available here. I didn't mean to offend. I am waiting for a live chat to see what Roku has to say on this. Thanks for trying, and I can see why you would have answered that way, you were trying to help, thanks! :)

coffeeboy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:24 pm

akstarr wrote:
I went to the Sling tv site where it says they are currently invitation only. They give you the option to sign up for an invite with your email address, hope this helps.

Oh wow, that helps! I can't believe I didn't think of that! duh! lol :oops:

gkl

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

coffeeboy wrote:
akstarr wrote:

Oh wow, that helps! I can't believe I didn't think of that! duh! lol :oops:

My understanding is that Sling TV will be made generally available sometime in February. They are slowly releasing it to a smaller group of folks who signed up for an "invitation". I did so back in early January, but haven't received an invitation yet. I'm guessing they are using this slow roll out to discover and fix bugs before the general release, which is, frankly, smart. You can go to the Sling website and sign up or you can wait another two or three weeks and it will probably be available to everyone.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

akstarr

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:49 am

I hope SlingTv rolls out to everyone in February but I just don't see that happening. I really don't think whoever is behind this has any clue about streaming.
Think about it - you come out and say "Hey we're gonna stream stuff, is anybody interested? They seem to still be going by the long broken idea that everyone has "cable" tv. The providers are still looking at streaming as a niche market, well that niche market has worked well enough for netflix that even amazon has jumped on the bandwagon. I don't think the major pay tv providers have realized the paradigm of their business model has changed.
You are not getting any new young subscribers. None of my children will ever sign up for cable. They know they can find it later on the net. Hulu, netflix, at some point they can binge watch whatever season of whatever show they want.

Sorry to go of topic here, I still have great hopes for sling tv, however if they turn into another crappy cable network that wants you to pay 30 a month for 500 music channels, what a waste of time on their part. What a waste.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:32 am

Got my Sling TV invitation this weekend.
Try an early release of Sling TV before anyone else.

Call 1-888-409-8612 between 8am – 1am EST, and use your personal invitation number below to set up your account. Don't share this number – it's valid for you only!

XXXXXX

This early release of Sling TV lets you watch on your Roku 3, iOS or Android device, and Mac. We’re excited to roll out our website with online account management and the ability to watch Sling TV on more devices very soon.

Rather wait until you can sign up online? No problem. The full-featured Sling TV launches to the public soon. Stay tuned.

Right now, you have to call 'em on the phone, hear them explain all the stuff (free for seven days, then they'll bill you, one stream at a time, etc), they'll ask you for your credit card info, and suggest the news and kids add-on packs (the add-on sports pack still isn't available).

All the links in the Welcome and Setup emails take you to the pages with a *.dishworld.com URL.

The Setup email indicates the only Roku it's for is the Roku 3:
First things first - make sure you set up your password for your Sling TV account. You should have received an email from DishWorld (our current website before our official website launch) to set up the password. Make sure to click the link in this email and set a password for your Sling TV account.

After you set up your password - it’s time to download the Sling TV app. Select the link below for to download the app on your device.

iOS
Android
Roku 3
Mac

We’re excited to roll out our website with online account management and the ability to watch Sling TV on more devices very soon. Stay tuned!

The service works just fine on my Roku 3, and my iPad (though the iPhone version isn't working, but I haven't and probably won't troubleshoot that).
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

DaBronx

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 am

Basil wrote:
Got my Sling TV invitation this weekend.
Try an early release of Sling TV before anyone else.

Call 1-888-409-8612 between 8am – 1am EST, and use your personal invitation number below to set up your account. Don't share this number – it's valid for you only!

XXXXXX

This early release of Sling TV lets you watch on your Roku 3, iOS or Android device, and Mac. We’re excited to roll out our website with online account management and the ability to watch Sling TV on more devices very soon.

Rather wait until you can sign up online? No problem. The full-featured Sling TV launches to the public soon. Stay tuned.

Right now, you have to call 'em on the phone, hear them explain all the stuff (free for seven days, then they'll bill you, one stream at a time, etc), they'll ask you for your credit card info, and suggest the news and kids add-on packs (the add-on sports pack still isn't available).

All the links in the Welcome and Setup emails take you to the pages with a *.dishworld.com URL.

First things first - make sure you set up your password for your Sling TV account. You should have received an email from DishWorld (our current website before our official website launch) to set up the password. Make sure to click the link in this email and set a password for your Sling TV account.

After you set up your password - it’s time to download the Sling TV app. Select the link below for to download the app on your device.

iOS
Android
Roku 3
Mac

We’re excited to roll out our website with online account management and the ability to watch Sling TV on more devices very soon. Stay tuned!

The service works just fine on my Roku 3, and my iPad (though the iPhone version isn't working, but I haven't and probably won't troubleshoot that).

It only works on the Roku 3?

If so that blows donkey spit as I was hoping to use the service with my R2 XS. Hope this isn't an indication of the demise and non-support of the R2 XS. Not a good sign when a new channel is not supported on the box.

Crappy news to start the day.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

Basil

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:49 am

DaBronx wrote:
Basil wrote:

iOS
Android
Roku 3
Mac
...!

It only works on the Roku 3?

If so that blows donkey spit as I was hoping to use the service with my R2 XS. Hope this isn't an indication of the demise and non-support of the R2 XS. Not a good sign when a new channel is not supported on the box.

I have not confirmed that my other Roku devices don't support it. I was out of town when I got the email and did the account activation thing. When I got back last night (early this morning), I saw the Roku 3 (main TV) had the channel showing (I had added it via the email links). I played a little with it and it worked well. I didn't even turn on the other TV, so I don't know if the channel was added to the other Roku, or, if so, if it works well. That's the project for tonight.

Having said that, the email does indeed indicate only that device is supported. My test will confirm that, or indicate the email was incorrect.

Unless of course somebody else got their invite and shares their experience.

Oh, one other thing. It does say "other devices soon." Whether that means other Roku models in addition to things like Chromecast, Apple TV, I don't know.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

knuckle

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 am

via the roku blog http://blog.roku.com/blog/2015/01/05/sl ... n-service/

We expect Sling TV to be available to all *current-generation Roku players and Roku TV models in the U.S.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Basil

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 am

knuckle wrote:

We expect Sling TV to be available to all *current-generation Roku players and Roku TV models in the U.S.

Yay! And that's not inconsistent with what's going on now. The inviations going out are to an "early release" of the service. The final version may indeed support the other current gen Roku boxes. Would be great if it did.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

DaBronx

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 pm

knuckle wrote:

Thank you for that link. My Roku2 XS is on the list of current models slated to be receiving the channel. That's cool, no need to be first.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)