Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FX4

Re: Where is Sling TV?? NOT slingbox, they are different!

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:19 pm

The sports pack was released today, ESPNEWS, ESPN U, SEC, After The Buzzer, Universal Sports, Univision TDN, bein sports.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:45 pm

FX4 wrote:
The sports pack was released today, ESPNEWS, ESPN U, SEC, After The Buzzer, Universal Sports, Univision TDN, bein sports.

I'm betting almost everyone who cared about the sports pack was hoping for the Fox Sports (and other baseball) regional channels. Not having those makes the service much less valuable to me. Surprised also at the lack of Golf Channel.

gkl

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:54 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
FX4 wrote:

I'm betting almost everyone who cared about the sports pack was hoping for the Fox Sports (and other baseball) regional channels. Not having those makes the service much less valuable to me. Surprised also at the lack of Golf Channel.

I agree that having Fox Sports and other regional baseball channels would be huge. But in SEC country, having the SEC Network will cause a lot of people to cut the cord and subscribe to Sling. I know several folks who said the lack of ESPN and the SEC Network was THE only bar to their cutting the cord.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

FX4

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:58 pm

This pack works for me. I subscribe to MLB so the local stuff does not concern me. That and my teams are on the other side of the country.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

JW1200

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 pm

My invite email came this evening. I am watching Sling TV now, and I did get to sign into WatchESPN with no problems. It looks really good on my 3, 1080 TV's. I will keep it for a little while to see if it is worth the money they charge. Looks pretty cool now.

mikebdoss

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:52 am

JW1200 wrote:
My invite email came this evening. I am watching Sling TV now, and I did get to sign into WatchESPN with no problems. It looks really good on my 3, 1080 TV's. I will keep it for a little while to see if it is worth the money they charge. Looks pretty cool now.

I also got my invite tonight, and I'm Impressed. The streams are high quality and load really quickly. The app takes a little bit of getting used to, but you can tell they spent a lot of time on it.

Basil

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:27 am

gkl wrote:
... But in SEC country, having the SEC Network will cause a lot of people to cut the cord and subscribe to Sling. I know several folks who said the lack of ESPN and the SEC Network was THE only bar to their cutting the cord.

This describes me.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

8traxrule

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:29 am

Got the free trial with all channels included, but will be cancelling before they start charging me for it. Paying for channels that show as many commercials as the stations I get over the air for free is unacceptable, plus I have zero tolerance for constant on-screen logos which every cable channel seems to have now.

Technical impressions: ONLY the ESPN channels come in at the proper frame rate, equivalent to live TV, and then only at the highest bitrate. I have the fastest internet service available but the quality still drops down- the next-lowest quality also bumps the frame rate to the more choppy rate that most online video uses. I checked all the other channels including CNN for several minutes, but none of the others could deliver the full frame rate. Also NONE of the channels have Dolby 5.1 sound.

FX4

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:57 am

One thing I have noticed is some channels take a few minutes to ramp up, some as much as five minutes or more but they do. Commercials, well that is part of paying the bills today, it is what it is.
Last edited by FX4 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

ACraigo

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:17 am

FX4 wrote:
Commercials well that is part of paying the bills today, it is what it is.

...and the countless, brain washed minions line up in droves and happily pay for the privilege of being forced to watch them... programmed through years of abuse to accept their entertainment in 8 minute segments... it really boggles the mind.

Providers should be giving 'forced to watch' ad supported TV away, but insatiable greed gets in the way. That too, is what it is.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

twiceover

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 am

ACraigo wrote:
FX4 wrote:

...and the countless, brain washed minions line up in droves and happily pay for the privilege of being forced to watch them... programmed through years of abuse to accept their entertainment in 8 minute segments... it really boggles the mind.

Providers should be giving 'forced to watch' ad supported TV away, but insatiable greed gets in the way. That too, is what it is.

LOL.

I would really like to get this service, but $20 is just too much. Drop the sports channels and bring it down in the $10-12 range and I'd be game.

FX4

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:00 am

No the base package is 20.00. The sports package is an add on. Although ESPN and ESPN2 are included in the base package. I will probably settle at 25.00 a months for the base and sports.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

FX4

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:21 am

As far as quality goes I don't know what the top bit rate is but I saw it ramp up to 3.7Mb/s this morning. I am at my second home so I only have a 3.5Mb/s internet connection. I'll be curious to see what the top speed is when I get back to my primary residence.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mikebdoss

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:51 am

ACraigo wrote:
FX4 wrote:

Never bought a newspaper or magazine then, I assume?

Welcome to real life, where most media relies on multiple revenue streams, not just subscriptions OR advertising.

DaBronx

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:09 am

ACraigo wrote:

Nobody is forcing anyone to watch tv, ad supported or not. It's a choice individuals make.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)