Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rarebrds
Topic Author

Scout for Netflix final Private Channel release. US/UK/IE/CA

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:18 am

Hi guys!

We've been working on creating a new way to browse Netflix titles on the Roku. We put together a custom UI with features that allow you to easily sort and browse the latest additions and filter down to what you really want to watch on Netflix. You will need a Netflix subscription and to have your Roku player connected through HDMI. It currently focuses on the US Netflix catalog, but we're adding the UK, Canada, and other countries as we can.

You can check out our website to learn a little more about it at http://scout.watch/

It's currently a private channel: https://owner.roku.com/add/SCOUTALPHA

Let us know what you think!

Email: hello@scout.watch
IG: @scout.for.netflix

Sidenote: if you type in the words "hard" + "on" it replaces it with "happy dance"...nice Roku :lol:
Last edited by rarebrds on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

startreksteve

Re: Help us test our channel!

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:04 am

Looks pretty good...
Lets see it in the UK and I'll give you an in-depth report.

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

The Channel Guide

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:34 am

rarebrds wrote:
We've been working on creating a new way to browse Netflix titles on the Roku... It currently focuses on the US Netflix catalog, but we're adding the UK, Canada, and other countries as we can

Any idea how long it will be before we can search Netflix UK & Ireland with this?

Are we likely to see that functionality in the UK while it's still a private channel, or must we wait for the "public" version in the Roku UK Channel Store?

ALSO: Even though we can't (currently) access 'Amazon Instant Video' on Roku devices in the UK, do you think you could add a search facility for Amazon UK too... so that Amazon Prime members in the UK can search for Prime Instant Video content on Roku devices? ! :)

:idea: You never know... it may even encourage Amazon UK to pull their finger out and add the 'Amazon Instant Video' to Roku devices in the UK?! :wink:

Mind you... they've already had 3 years to clone it for the UK and they haven't managed it yet, so it looks like we'll be waiting a while either way! :roll:

What WILL be interesting is to see if your channel makes it onto UK Roku devices BEFORE the Roku cross-platform search does! They've hinted this week that it's "on the list" but, if neither Roku or Amazon come up with the goods in 2015, at least we'll have your channel to ease the suffering caused by the wait! :lol:

I agree with Steve that, judging by your website, it looks like it'll be pretty good when it arrives! Let's just hope it's sooner rather than later! :wink: :D

johninFL

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:10 am

I added the channel to check it out and it looks like a pretty good app.to me.Luckily (for me) clicking on a movie brings up the title in larger print so old geezers like me can read them. :lol:...but the synopsis of the movie under the rating is waaay too small to be comfortably read.Can you please make the print larger so it's more readable to tired old eyes??
I like that you added the genre and a rating for each movie too,but am wondering where the rating comes from.
Is it from IMdB,RottenTomatoes,or is it Netflix's own rating??

Grouchofish

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:50 am

Added the channel. Love it. It's nice to be able to see the whole catalog now, instead of only 50 at a time of each section. Thanks for this.
Last edited by Grouchofish on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rarebrds
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 pm

The Channel Guide wrote:
Any idea how long it will be before we can search Netflix UK & Ireland with this?

We're less than 2 weeks away from having the feed available for Canada, UK, and Ireland. All the screens are custom, so we're working on building out a settings screen that allows you to choose your sources.

johninFL wrote:
Can you please make the print larger so it's more readable to tired old eyes?? ... Is it from IMdB,RottenTomatoes,or is it Netflix's own rating??

I passed this along to our designer. He's going to take a look and we'll have an update by this weekend.
We aggregate ratings from however many providers we can find to give a hopefully more accurate representation of the overall rating.

Grouchofish wrote:
Added the channel. Love it.

Thanks!

So, our plan is to have 2 different versions of this app. There will be this version (Scout for Netflix) and then another version (Scout) that incorporates all the other streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, HBO). The Scout one will be quite a bit different. We wanted to get this out and see how many people are interested.

Another question, besides the services I just listed, are there any other services out there that you guys would love to see on here?

Thanks!
Rarebrds team

danat275

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:32 pm

is there a way to update the channel so it doesn't require HDMI?

johninFL

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:01 pm

danat275 wrote:

Maybe i'm misunderstanding your question :? .... but using a R 2XS i am using the channel thru the composite output,not HDMI.It works perfectly.

rarebrds
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:15 pm

danat275 wrote:

We don't require HDMI, we require and HD connection, and usually that's through an HDMI cable. As of right now, an SD UI is not currently in our plans. The channel is completely custom. There are no Brightscript screen components being used at all. We would need more man hours to complete development of an SD version of our UI.

vnazario

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm

rarebrds wrote:
danat275 wrote:

We don't require HDMI, we require and HD connection, and usually that's through an HDMI cable. As of right now, an SD UI is not currently in our plans. The channel is completely custom. There are no Brightscript screen components being used at all. We would need more man hours to complete development of an SD version of our UI.

Hi Developer:

It's too bad that it is HDMI only. I know that HD is better but many of us use SD analog connections on our Roku's for various reasons. I myself use my Roku through the analog connections since I have my Roku 2XS connected to my VCR so I can record stuff on VHS or to my iKonvert SC-58 PVR digital converter box if I want to record directly to its attached USB hard drive.

I guess I can still use Netflix Instant Watch browser by the Endless but I would really be interested in the unified search version of the channel you are looking to work on. Could you please consider not blocking analog SD on your new channel so we can all enjoy the channel? Thank you for your considerations to this request. Regards,

vnazario
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

BradC

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 pm

very nice.

I look forward to seeing how you integrate the other services. It will be amazing to see titles from netflix and crackle mixed together for example, so you have an even bigger variety to choose from (obviously will need something like a different color hi-lite to show the different services each movie is on)

great work! very impressive. This will be a very useful channel.

BradC

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 pm

not sure if this is a bug, but it seems like one:

http://i.imgur.com/YBBd5XE.jpg

rarebrds
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 pm

BradC wrote:
not sure if this is a bug, but it seems like one:

http://i.imgur.com/YBBd5XE.jpg

Thanks Brad! The data is correct, somehow the posters are the same. We'll get it fixed.

BigOaf

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:27 am

Cant wait for the UK version of this!

TexGuy

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:37 am

It's a neat program, I had to change my display type to 720p for it to work right.
Insignia Roku tv 32" ID 44354F306508
Insignia Roku tv 39" ID 6Y4761361022
Mohu - Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna
Roku3, Roku2
HDMI Cable ($6.99 cables unlimited)
ATT Uverse