Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ACraigo

Re: Sling TV: Have they added AMC and other channels?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:05 am

stutch13 wrote:
...Here's the thing, over the air (OTA) I've never tried to see what we can get, I don't know anyone with a antena to receive these signals now and don't want to invest in anything to try feeling as I have that it would be a waste of money and time and effort.

Go here: www.tvfool.com
Plug in your complete and accurate address and post your image in a new thread.
Many of us can take a look at your report and give you a reasonable evaluation before you spend one dime.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

4d3fect

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:15 am

My $.02: Just with the free trial, functionality mostly missing, three crashes/reboots, total watching time less than time spent entering personal info/password/etc. Not at all comparable to watching a television program.

IOW--pass. Not ready for prime time, or mass consumption, or indeed, anything at all.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:25 am

4d3fect wrote:
My $.02: Just with the free trial, functionality mostly missing, three crashes/reboots, total watching time less than time spent entering personal info/password/etc. Not at all comparable to watching a television program.

IOW--pass. Not ready for prime time, or mass consumption, or indeed, anything at all.

Interesting. I think the sign-in process took me all of 3-4 minutes. I found the interface a little clunky, but once I was watching a show, it was just like having cable again. I caught up on a few shows during my trial, and I'll likely subscribe if they add a few more channels I'm interested in.

FX4

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:41 am

I haven't seen a crash in over a week. They had a few problems when it first went live but it has been rock solid for days now. I just wish they would get the WatchESPN app on Roku working properly. It works fine on my iPad.

I agree, needs a few more channels but they are coming so I'm in.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

gkl

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:38 pm

FX4 wrote:
I haven't seen a crash in over a week. They had a few problems when it first went live but it has been rock solid for days now. I just wish they would get the WatchESPN app on Roku working properly. It works fine on my iPad.

I've not experienced any crashes and I was able to authenticate and use WatchESPN on my Rokus on the second day I had it. No problems whatsoever. I actually prefer using WatchESPN because I believe the picture quality is better.

My nitpicks:

1. The picture is fuzzy when I first access a feed, just for a few seconds, but long enough to be noticeable and, frankly, annoying.
2. I'd like the ability to hide channels I'll never watch. I'm not going to ever watch Disney or the Spanish-language channel, so I'd just as soon get those off the screen. (At least they are the last two on the row.)
3. Parental controls. My understanding is that this is coming.
4. The sooner BBC America comes, the better.
5. When I exit, I can hear the program after the screen goes dark, again, just for a few seconds, but long enough to be noticeable and, frankly, annoying.

So, Sling TV can definitely be improved, but I'd also say it is well ready for prime time and doing an overall splendid job.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

catsarecool

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm

I think they have a winner.

For me the service has been rock solid. I have plenty of bandwidth though (24mb down/2mb up). Yeah, I need to get used to the interface a bit. I wish there was a DVR option, but I'm sure one day there will be. I hope AMC gets added by Sunday. Otherwise I need to wait until Monday when my new Walking Dead video drops onto my Google Play account.

As long as they don't over price it, and add a few more good channels to their basic lineup, I'm happy. I'd like to see something like: SyFy, A&E, the Hitler Channel--errr I mean History Channel.

gkl

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:43 pm

ACraigo wrote:
stutch13 wrote:
...Here's the thing, over the air (OTA) I've never tried to see what we can get, I don't know anyone with a antena to receive these signals now and don't want to invest in anything to try feeling as I have that it would be a waste of money and time and effort.

Go here: http://www.tvfool.com
Plug in your complete and accurate address and post your image in a new thread.
Many of us can take a look at your report and give you a reasonable evaluation before you spend one dime.

Also try gomohu.com and see what subchannels it lists (which are not listed on tvfool.com).

Before I bought an antenna, I stuck a wire in the coax connection and got 8-10 channels just with that. It depends on where you live, but almost the entire nation (more than 90%) gets eight networks, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, the CW, MyNetworkTV, and MeTV, with the majority of Americans receiving between 20 and 30 networks. I get 31 in a DMA barely in the top 50 in households. The cost is minimal and set up is really not that difficult. I certainly didn't find the effort a waste of time and money, but as they say YMMV.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

vnazario
Topic Author

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Hello:

It is worth a shot to try and ask:

Have any of you with SlingTV tried to authenticate with your Sling/Dish id and pw to see if it unlocks episodes from Fox Nox/FX/NatGeo/History/A&E/Lifetime Roku channels? If it works, then there is more value for the $20 current base package. Please try and let us know your results. Thanks in advance for anyone who can confirm this.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

FX4

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 pm

gkl wrote:
FX4 wrote:

I've not experienced any crashes and I was able to authenticate and use WatchESPN on my Rokus on the second day I had it. No problems whatsoever. I actually prefer using WatchESPN because I believe the picture quality is better.

My nitpicks:

1. The picture is fuzzy when I first access a feed, just for a few seconds, but long enough to be noticeable and, frankly, annoying.
2. I'd like the ability to hide channels I'll never watch. I'm not going to ever watch Disney or the Spanish-language channel, so I'd just as soon get those off the screen. (At least they are the last two on the row.)
3. Parental controls. My understanding is that this is coming.
4. The sooner BBC America comes, the better.
5. When I exit, I can hear the program after the screen goes dark, again, just for a few seconds, but long enough to be noticeable and, frankly, annoying.

So, Sling TV can definitely be improved, but I'd also say it is well ready for prime time and doing an overall splendid job.

Well as far as ramp up goes they have two choices they can ramp up or ramp down. Ramp up is a batter option since it does not cause video hits. I think the real problem is the ramp up starts on their 400ks stream and they could probably start on the 1.3Mbps stream and move up or down from there. I agree they should kill the buffer rather than letting it play out. It is kind of annoying.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

JW1200

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:13 pm

I did my 7 day trail and canceled. I didn't see $20 worth of TV, I was hoping I would but I didn't. Maybe if they add some more content it will be worth it in my eyes. I have 3 Roku's, Netflix, and Amazon, I get my local new with livestream. I have more than I have time to watch now so the extra $20 a month, for what they are offering, just is not worth it to me at this time. I have kept Sling Tv in my Roku account and I am hoping they put something on it to attract me to it as I would like to see this type of service to prevail.

tobarefeet

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:28 am

10 days in and enjoying Sling TV. Yep, it will be much better once AMC, BBC America, BBC World, IFC, Sundance are added but for now I'm digging it. I was subscribing to Dishworld at $10 a month for sports and now I can cancel it since the channels there are part of the $5 a month sports package. A much bigger sports package btw.

It's not for everyone but then again, what is?

I've only had 2 crashes and that was in the first 2 days. I do wish the pause feature and past 3 days of shows were available on all the channels, not just a handful. But if thats such a big dealbreaker than I suppose paying over $100 a month for cable would be the answer.

mac4gman

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:31 pm

Week-and-a-half as a cord-cutter.

News that SlingTV was coming, with ESPN channels, helped me decide to take the plunge. Like millions of hardcore sports fans, the dearth of live sports programming made switching from cable TV to streaming media player a non-starter for me; now, with four ESPN channels and SEC Network (technically an ESPN affiliate as well) I'm sure I'm just one of many who'll be dumping cable/satellite service this year.

For me, other channels offered by Sling are more of a bonus than a primary incentive but I like their choices so far - most especially their $5 'Extras' packages approach to expanding their channel lineup....will AMC be part of one of these packages or just dumped in with the core programs [simply musing/speculating]? I suspect Epix will be its own add-on package. Haven't heard anything about BBC America, BBC World, IFC, Sundance and others but would welcome those and similar options.... I like the quasi a la carte approach.

beq

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

vnazario wrote:
Have any of you with SlingTV tried to authenticate with your Sling/Dish id and pw to see if it unlocks episodes from Fox Nox/FX/NatGeo/History/A&E/Lifetime Roku channels?

Good question...?

tobarefeet wrote:
I was subscribing to Dishworld at $10 a month for sports and now I can cancel it

Just curious do you use the same email address for both your DishWorld and Sling TV subscriptions?

I still can't seem to sign up for Sling TV using an email address that has also been registered with DishWorld (and/or Blockbuster On Demand). If I visit http://www.sling.com and log in to my DishWorld account, the Sling TV sign up link doesn't work, just throws up an error message on the account page.

Guess I must still wait for Dish to consolidate both services. Maybe it's a headache trying to blend Sling TV's 1-stream limit with DishWorld's up-to-3-stream limit, all on the same app.

tobarefeet

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:26 am

beq wrote:
vnazario wrote:
Have any of you with SlingTV tried to authenticate with your Sling/Dish id and pw to see if it unlocks episodes from Fox Nox/FX/NatGeo/History/A&E/Lifetime Roku channels?

Good question...?

tobarefeet wrote:
I was subscribing to Dishworld at $10 a month for sports and now I can cancel it

Just curious do you use the same email address for both your DishWorld and Sling TV subscriptions?

I still can't seem to sign up for Sling TV using an email address that has also been registered with DishWorld (and/or Blockbuster On Demand). If I visit http://www.sling.com and log in to my DishWorld account, the Sling TV sign up link doesn't work, just throws up an error message on the account page.

i wasnt able to use the same Dishworld email address. I created a new one for Sling TV.

Frankie'sMarket

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:11 pm

catsarecool wrote:
As long as they don't over price it, and add a few more good channels to their basic lineup, I'm happy. I'd like to see something like: SyFy, A&E, the Hitler Channel--errr I mean History Channel.

Sling TV will quickly lose its favorability with the public if they jack up their price for the base package less than month after going live. In fact, I would imagine they would be subject to subscriber criticism (and lost business) if they can't maintain their price for at least the next couple of years. No contract and no commitment means that displeased customers can quickly drop their subscription the moment they feel that the service is not worth it.

With that said, I would temper my expectations about how many channels can be delivered for $20 a month. The ones that are currently in the base pack are those that are considered by many to be indispensable to anyone deciding whether or not to ditch cable, like CNN and ESPN. But for $20, one can't expect the sheer number of channels that a basic cable TV package would offer. AMC is due to be added soon. I could see something like USA network being added because of its wide range of demographic appeal. But once you start to getting into genre specific channels that have a more limited audience, that is when a line will be drawn and will probably end up being slotted into one of the $5 add-on packs. An example of this is ESPNEWS, which is available on many cable system's base package. But it doesn't make the cut with Sling TV's base pack. (It is available on Sling's sports pack.) At $20, you can't expect everything that cable TV offered at more than twice the price. Every consumer has to decide for himself whether they can live with the limitations of Sling TV.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin