Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

Why is Fox News loading so slowly today?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 am

Some days it works great, other days it slows down to a crawl- a 4 minute video takes almost 10 minutes to load. Usually this happens when their ad gets stuck loading, other times it happens for no reason. I have a decent internet speed, and nothing else is online except the Roku box.

Any idea? I have a Roku 2 box and a DSL connection, which works just fine most of the time.
[Caution- any "snarky" comments about my Roku or DSL connection WILL be reported to a moderator]

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Why is Fox News loading so slowly today?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:22 am

Fake Ghost Pirate wrote:
I have a Roku 2 box and a DSL connection, which works just fine most of the time.

The Roku 2 and DSL should be sufficient. I had DSL and a Roku 2 XS for some time, and it always worked well. Your current-generation Roku 2 should certainly be up to the task. Having said that, it could be the channel. Look for others to chime in (not at my Roku today, so I can't check). Might want to do a speedtest on your Internet connection to be sure. There is/was an app in the Section Previously Knows As The Channel Store. http://speedtest.net from your browser might also be useful.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

thetick

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Fake Ghost Pirate wrote:
[Caution- any "snark" comments about my Roku or DSL connection WILL be reported to a moderator]

I don't mean to sound "snarky" but DSL is right at the edge of being usable to video streaming especially if HD quality video and/or your service near the maximum distance from the DSL Central Office. What is your DSL speed and your distance to the DSL Central Office.?

You should run the speedtest channel to get a rough idea.
https://www.rokuchannels.tv/speedtest
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks. I tried the Speed Test channel. Not exactly sure what the data means, but I'm 10 miles from the server and it looks like I get about 117 kbytes/sec.

I know DSL is slower than cable or FIOS, but FIOS isn't available in my area (and cable is absurdly expensive). Two people can't stream videos at the same time at my house, usually, but Netflix almost always works just fine. I've noticed Fox News mostly crashes when it tries to play ads before the videos- when there are no ads it's fine. Actually most Roku channels seem to have trouble with ads, even Crackle locks up about 1/5 of the time.

(I kinda suspect Fox News gets frequently attacked by hackers who disagree with their political views)

blue_94_trooper

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Fake Ghost Pirate wrote:
(I kinda suspect Fox News gets frequently attacked by hackers who disagree with their political views)

Yes, clearly that's the problem.
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra