Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

__5
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

"HBO Now"

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:45 pm

The new name for standalone service ($15 mo) and is ready to launch by mid-April. :)
(no cable subscription is required) – article

BoloMKXXVIII

Re: "HBO Now"

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:46 am

I am hoping I will be able to subscribe for short periods of time. While I subscribe to Netflix all year, HBO would probably be something I would only subscribe to for a couple of months a year just to catch up with all the shows.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

AeRoSpaceman

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 am

Interesting. It's something that's needed but there is a potential for confusion the way it is to be implemented according to the article and some commenters. I think it should be a unified login and keep it as HBO GO. When you first install the HBO GO channel it should ask if you are a current cable tv subscriber with HBO, or you are a new customer without HBO service and would like to setup an account. It could be something along those lines. I am more interested in what the cable companies are going to say about this than the channel itself.
Last edited by AeRoSpaceman on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTA Antenna "Actual Rabbit Ears", 42" JVC EM42FTR, Roku Streaming Stick (MHL :-)) 3400x (1EL54H001869) (ROKU Beta)

lion7718

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 am

I've been waiting for this, but I'll probably wait a month or 2 before I subscribe. I have no doubt that it will crash the 1st time Game of Thrones is shown.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

johninFL

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am

lion7718 wrote:
I've been waiting for this, but.....I have no doubt that it will crash the 1st time Game of Thrones is shown.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.........me either!! :)

bvd1022

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:19 pm

__5 wrote:
The new name for standalone service ($15 mo) and is ready to launch by mid-April. :)
(no cable subscription is required) – article

Although I have no intention of cancelling my satellite service, I am waiting to see what the service will offer. Seeing as MLBAM is involved I assume it will include live feeds of the HBO networks, possibly even the Cinemax tier of channels. What I am interested in is if they will be adding any of their sports library to an on demand section. As a Boxing writer if they were to add some of the cards HBO has televised over the last 42 years, it would be worth it for me to subscribe to the service as a backup option to my existing satellite service. I’m taking the wait and see what will be offered approach before I decide to try the service. I will give HBO credit in that partnering with MLBAM as WWE and other content providers have done to launch their respective OTT services was a smart move. Hopefully HBO will be able to avoid some of the glitches that some of the content providers who are partnered with MLBAM have had to deal with in their early stages of their services.

mike1977

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:31 pm

AeRoSpaceman wrote:
Interesting. It's something that's needed but there is a potential for confusion the way it is to be implemented according to the article and some commenters. I think it should be a unified login and keep it as HBO GO. When you first install the HBO GO channel it should ask if you are a current cable tv subscriber with HBO, or you are a new customer without HBO service and would like to setup an account. It could be something along those lines. I am more interested in what the cable companies are going to say about this than the channel itself.

I agree. They should just update the HBO Go app and let it just be one app. Login/Logout option on the app with option to "login using cable/satellite subscription", much like you see on the internet..."or login using Facebook"

mike1977

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:44 pm

They need something for Cinemax too. So one could stream their TV shows, like Banshee.

clocks

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Not sure it is worth $15/month. At that price, I'd join for 1 month about once a year to watch what I want, then cancel.

FX4

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:38 pm

I would be really surprised if HBO allowed one month at a time.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:21 pm

FX4 wrote:
I would be really surprised if HBO allowed one month at a time.

I think with Sling offering no-contract subscriptions, HBO will follow suit.

FX4

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Why would they? HBO and Sling have pretty much nothing to do with each other. HBO has a lot to lose if they allow one month subscriptions. Sling's entire business model is built around no contracts. HBO as pointed out here has a huge back catalog that people can binge watch then say see ya until next year. Sling has no such option and no plans to offer it. Sling is a program reseller and HBO for the most part is a content developer.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

universal4

HBO Now

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:33 am

I was just watching the news on CBS (I wish more stations did this fair of a job with streaming news) and they announced that HBO may finally be ready to launch their streaming service that does not require the dreaded premium cable subscription.

I saw the report that HBO would be launching to the public and the service would be called HBONow. Personally HBOGo worked rather well and it was nice to use that, until my favorite show ended and I decided to cut the cord this past summer.

HOWEVER the news report led me to believe that this will be launched ONLY through Apple.

In fact Cnet tech reporter mentioned Roku specifically but stated that only Apple would be a launch partner.

It really drives me crazy that all these companies that copied what Roku did many years ago, and are still trying to catch up to (I have been a Roku owner for more than 7 years) have slid in to some kind of deal like this.

Please tell HBO that if they leave the Roku owners left out of this that we will still likely find a way to watch their programming, and if they do in fact want to make the quest for that a challenge....say right before the launch of the new season of their biggest show they have had in almost forever, that this could be really bad timing to not partner with the Roku what many of us feel to be the leader in the industry and the one company that has helped push the streaming box innovation.

I actually kept the cord into my house for a longer period than I would have, had it not been for that ONE show, but I have no plans to plug Road Runner back in for it, and there is no way I would ever go to Apple whether they are the exclusive partner or not.

I don't care if Apple and HBO seem to be buddies or not, and I don't care if Apple did offer HBO more money to not let Roku in, I am here to voice my opinion that if this is the case, and that if the CNet reporter has her facts straight, this is a very serious mistake that HBO is making.

Ummmm let's see.....GOT season finale broke a very specific record in 2013 and they broke that record with the season opener in 2014. If I recall correctly that record was close tp be broken again for the finale in 2014.

HBO, wouldn't you rather have a lot of those people as paid subscribers for this year's start of the season?

Maybe HBO is forgetting their own roots. Back when I was a kid I remember when we first got cable and when HBO launched as one of the very first premium channels. HBO were the trend setters and the innovators back then....kinda like what ROKU did when they launched their first boxes.

How difficult of a road ahead might HBO have had if the early cable companies would not have seen the vision that HBO had and what if they would have decided that they were not gonna allow them to be part of the launch and instead went with only a smaller more focused group?

Now obviously, based upon a few of my above comments, I would never recommend anyone getting their shows in any other manner than what is acceptable by the networks, I just would like to see HBO show do the right thing and support Roku and it's user base.

I stand here with my $10 or $15 dollars in my hand and am waving it at HBO, please take my money, but of you make me wait until well into the season or until the season is over, no way will I give you the money.

Now if you allow me to watch it the night it is aired, or immediately afterward at my own convenient time, you have a really good shot at me becoming a long time paying subscriber.

bvd1022

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:12 am

FX4 wrote:
Why would they? HBO and Sling have pretty much nothing to do with each other. HBO has a lot to lose if they allow one month subscriptions. Sling's entire business model is built around no contracts. HBO as pointed out here has a huge back catalog that people can binge watch then say see ya until next year. Sling has no such option and no plans to offer it. Sling is a program reseller and HBO for the most part is a content developer.

You do make an interesting point. When I first heard of the Sling service I wasn’t really impressed with what the service offers. Basically Sling is Dish Network’s attempt to transition from being a traditional satellite service provider to offering similar service via the OTT realm. Although I have said numerous times on this forum that it was only a matter of time before a service provider attempted to launch an OTT service direct to consumer, I don’t know if what Dish Network is attempting will necessarily prove to be successful.

As far as HBO, from what I understand from reading a few articles on the subject the HBO Now service will differ significantly from the current HBO Go service. I think the fact that they partnered with MLBAM shows that this will be something different than HBO Go. I assume based on MLBAM’s involvement that live feeds of the HBO networks will be included, otherwise the network could have simply rebranded its current HBO Go service and removed the requirement of needing a participating service provider in order to access the service. They wouldn't need MLBAM involved if that were the network’s sole intention.

I am not sure whether or not the network making this new service a month-to-month service with no commitment would necessarily be a negative. If you look at what the service providers offer for the bundles of channels of premium networks, they are priced significantly higher than what HBO will be charging going direct to consumer. The reason the service providers offer these bundles, particularly to new customers with such sales pitches as “Order Now and receive HBO and Cinemax free for three months” is an attempt to lock those customers into using the service for a certain period of time. What the service providers don’t tell consumers is that once that trial period has run its course, if you do not subscribe to a premium package, those channels are priced from anywhere from around $35 and up.

The revenue split model, which the cable/satellite industry operates under only nets a content provider such as HBO with essentially near or exactly what HBO will be charging for its new service going direct to consumer. I really think especially seeing as HBO cited the success that WWE has had with its service, during the network’s announcement of this forthcoming service that they might be following the model that WWE is using.

One of the criticisms that WWE has faced with its network was the original subscription plan of requiring a six-month commitment. Although a six-month commitment to WWE network at $9.99 a month amounts to essentially one WWE pay-per-view event on cable/satellite, there was confusion among consumers who did not understand that all the six-month commitment was, was you would be charged $9.99 a month for six months.

During WWE’s third-quarter earnings report several months ago they announced that they were discontinuing the six-month commitment subscription plan and going to a month-to-month subscription plan allowing subscribers to opt out when they wish and also allow the ability for those who opt out to re subscribe if they wish.

This along with the international expansion of WWE’s network has proven to be a positive for that company. Although HBO is not comparable to WWE in that HBO is a general entertainment/premium network that appeals to several different demographics, and WWE is a niche product, I believe that if HBO is following what WWE is doing, they will not incur too much of a loss from subscribers who will pick and choose which months they want to subscribe as HBO is constantly running not only movies, but also original programming as well as live event specials and sporting events. I believe that there will be enough content to keep people interested in HBO’s service and that will result in a good baseline of long-term subscribers.

As for me, I have been very critical of HBO over the years in regard to certain aspects relating to the sport that I cover, but in this instance I believe they are heading in the right direction and I will give them credit where it is due. With CBS/Showtime also having a similar service in the works, I believe that this is going to continue to change the landscape of how consumers consume television.

I do know that there were those both prior to and during the first couple months of WWE’s network service who thought I was crazy and was full of wishful thinking for saying that what WWE was doing was going to be a game changer in the industry. Although WWE’s network is still in its growing stages, the fact that the company almost doubled its total yearly revenue as compared to the previous year, especially considering that the company has invested significant money to launch their network and are in a period of transition, shows that they are heading in the right direction.

It will be interesting to see if the cable/satellite service providers attempt to retaliate against HBO and CBS/Showtime as they did when WWE launched their network. It backfired on the service providers when they tried to tell consumers that they wanted to carry WWE’s special events, but the company was unwilling to adjust the price for those shows and they (the service providers) didn’t want to pass down this “unjust” cost down to their subscribers. It was outright dishonest and had no real effect on WWE’s earnings. If anything, the service providers backhanded attempt at retaliating probably accelerated WWE’s subscriber base.

I think a lot of people would subscribe to HBO’s service if the service provides consumers the same content and more for $15 rather than pay the higher prices of the service providers. It is going to be interesting no doubt.
Last edited by bvd1022 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

FX4

Re: HBO Now

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:57 am

ATV has twice the number of STBs sold as Roku and ATV was around before Roku. While a little annoying I do own an ATV so I will subscribe when it starts but all indications are Roku will follow quickly and so will other STBs.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)