Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario

Re: "HBO Now"

Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:40 am

Hello:

I wonder what is the difference between HBO Go and HBO Now given that the content will be the same and none will include a live stream of the channel? Only VOD content. I know the difference is that I can subscribe to HBO Now without needing a cable package but as far as content....the same.

"What you won’t be watching: Anything live. HBO Now is a pure on-demand service, and won’t carry a live feed of HBO’s cable programming. That also means you won’t be able to tune in live to any of HBO’s boxing games." (Quote from Gigaom on the subject).

Given that it won't be available to Roku for the first three months, I guess you can pay Amazon or Vudu for access to the new episodes of Game of Thrones if you can't wait and got to have it. No need to lose sleep over this if you're a GoT/Roku user.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Frankie'sMarket

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:13 am

FX4 wrote:
I own an apple TV but I sure as heck would not go out and buy a new one for three months of HBO. The user interface is clunky and IR remote is downright unfriendly.

True about the interface and the remote being nothing to write home about.

But then again, if you're like most Apple TV owners, you'll own at least one iOS device. With AirPlay, your iPhone or iPad essentially becomes your Apple TV remote. And what a remote it is.

As much as I love the Apple TV, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone planning to use it as a standalone device.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin

mike1977

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 am

I'm afraid you're going to be waiting a while too before being able to get the latest episodes from Amazon, Vudu, etc. They want you to subscribe to watch their shows. Otherwise, you'd be able to buy the latest Banshee episodes.

vnazario

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 am

mike1977 wrote:
I'm afraid you're going to be waiting a while too before being able to get the latest episodes from Amazon, Vudu, etc. They want you to subscribe to watch their shows. Otherwise, you'd be able to buy the latest Banshee episodes.

Hello Mike:

Usually, new episodes are available for purchase on Amazon and Vudu the day after airing. If not, I have access to XBMC and other sources that I can still watch new GoT episodes when I want to for free, if HBO decides to play "hard ball". If not, I can wait. It is, after all, just a TV show. Eventually, it will land on Netflix or Amazon Prime. But if I want to watch the new Season 5 at the same time as everyone else, then I can purchase via Amazon or Vudu or find other ways if HBO decides not to make the episodes available for purchase.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

mike1977

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:00 am

For shows on regular TV, yes, episodes are usually available the next day.

For premium channels...I haven't seen this to be the case. I looked for True Blood during its last season run and it wasn't being put out there to buy from Amazon or Vudu. There are no season 3 episodes of Cinemax's Banshee out there on Amazon or Vudu...only seasons 1 &2.

I don't watch Black Sails from Starz, but they only have season 1 available.
I looked up HBO's Togetherness...nope, no episodes for sale.

FX4

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:12 am

HBO and Showtime definitely not available the next day. Maybe the following year but mostly not even then.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

gkl

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:56 am

clocks wrote:
Not sure it is worth $15/month. At that price, I'd join for 1 month about once a year to watch what I want, then cancel.

I've never had HBO and I certainly wouldn't pay $15/month for it. Many of these companies seem intent on repeating the mistakes made by the music industry a decade ago. Give the viewers what they want at a reasonable price and you can make money. Try to overcharge and you're just encouraging copyright infringement.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

gkl

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am

From what I've read, Apple TV will have HBO NOW exclusively for three months. After that, other streaming devices will gain access. I have an Apple TV, but I have no intention of paying $15/month for HBO NOW. I've never had HBO, but if I did, I can't imagine paying more than 1/2 that to gain access. I'll pass.
Last edited by gkl on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

lion7718

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 am

Apple must have paid HBO a lot of money to do this, but either way...HBO made a big mistake making others wait 3 months...
I don't care that I can signup now & watch on the internet, I want to watch it on my Roku.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

FX4

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:02 pm

I actually think what this is about is limiting the release under a premium brand. They get to control what happens with a limited but large audience. And as much as I am not a fan of the apple TV, the apple name does carry a lot of clout for a launch these days. HBO's streaming service gets a big splash under the apple name and apple sells a pile of their clunky STBs.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

lion7718

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Well, 3 months is pretty much the entire GOT season...so maybe next year.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

mike1977

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm

lion7718 wrote:
Well, 3 months is pretty much the entire GOT season...so maybe next year.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a free month when signing up from a Roku, etc. Then you can use that to watch all the episodes without the wait, and cancel.

akstarr

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:18 am

Hold on HBO Now isn't going to give you a live stream ? Then what is so "now" about it????? Why would I pay $15 a month for the Hbo catalog??
Way back in the betamax/vhs wars, my grandad was one of the first to sign up for this "new" cable.There was no other option here, and the he bought that huge vhs player. We had a box on the tv and he had HB0- that was the only channel, but it ran 24/7
Now hbo wants me to pay to not get that live channel? Really hbo? really? You blew it. I would've paid for your channel, because I do like a lot of your programming. The cable company offers your channel for less that $8 a month and your want $15- and it's not even your channel? It's going to be videos on your random whim? count me out. I was really hopeful for this one and yet another let down.

JW1200

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:14 am

Apple TV (3rd Generation) is now $69. Looks like something is going on between ATV and HBO.

mike1977

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:36 am

It kind of would be cool if they did. Showtime's app has a live stream.