Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BradC
Topic Author

new channel: Camera - for IP cameras

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:07 am

edit: channel is now published, and available in the channel store here:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/52937/camera
Last edited by BradC on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamest

Re: new channel: Camera - for IP cameras

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Does it actually handle "MJPEG" or does it download "JPEGS" as fast as it can and then display them? (i.e. one request with a constant stream or one new request for each new frame of video)

BradC
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:03 am

jamest wrote:
Does it actually handle "MJPEG" or does it download "JPEGS" as fast as it can and then display them? (i.e. one request with a constant stream or one new request for each new frame of video)

no mjpeg stream (thats not compatible with roku players), it supports the mjpeg cameras specifically - just for the control functions. Yes, it just loads and displays images as fast as it is able. Thought I put that in the descrip, guess that was only on reddit.

I'm in the process of writing support for multiple cameras and other camera models without control function, though I'm not sure if I'll finish or release that at this point.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

jamest

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:17 pm

I actually hacked together true MJPEG streaming support this afternoon using "roStreamingSocket". On my Axis cameras it is still more performant to use "roUrlTransfer" to download individual JPEGs for cameras on my local Lan. I have not open sourced it yet (my code currently has camera IP's and passwords hardcoded), but I do intend to open source it soon.

BradC
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Interesting. You got me beat, then.

Ya, so far as the individual jpeg images, I can get about 3-5 ffps on the jpegs on my local network, which isn't much below the mjpg stream in my browser from the same camera, and perfectly acceptable to me. Though I'm sure if you had a higher quality camera or video stream available than I do, the difference could be much more noticeable.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

jamest

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:29 pm

I've got code that does it both ways (urlTransfer and roStreamSocket)

urlTransfer (i.e. the easy way) is the same or faster for my cameras on the local hardwired LAN. I suspect a constant stream would start to perform better as latency increased (remote cameras, maybe even WIFI). I am getting about 6 FPS at 720p, and 12FPS at 800x450 on a Roku 3.

I am sure mjpeg could be WAY faster than repeated jpeg loads. I am guessing my code wastes a good number of cpu cycles blocking the thread when urlTransfer does not need to (being implemented natively). Brightscript just does not offer enough async API's to compensate for it's single-threadedness.

abaud4

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:57 pm

BradC,
This works!! First real solution on any site and best on Roku or Plex, and way easier than anything on Kodi. I'd be willing to donate for multi-camera support (whether concurrently as grid or switching).

Livewire_ts

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:10 am

I have a wanscam hw0028 can this be added?

pbnj

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Love It BradC
How can I buy/donate/etc.
Works fine w/ 3 different ultra-cheap cameras that I bought through ali express, but I don't have any zoom/pan on those, they are all fixed.

I haven't quite figured out the controls yet but it clearly has camera cycling and a grid mode.
Default view seems to cycle thru cams at maybe 10 secs/cam
I haven't figured out how to keep it in grid mode.

My guess is
[*] = camera context menu
[@] = zoom off
[ok] = next cam in cycle ?
[<-] = go to setup screen
[>>] ?
[>||] toggle cycling ?
[<<] ?

BradC
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:06 pm

pbnj wrote:
Love It BradC
How can I buy/donate/etc.

Thanks! You can see it's changed quite a lot from when this was posted.

No need to do any of that at this point. Eventually I may add a paid version with more features, etc. Who knows.

pbnj wrote:
I haven't quite figured out the controls yet but it clearly has camera cycling and a grid mode.
Default view seems to cycle thru cams at maybe 10 secs/cam
I haven't figured out how to keep it in grid mode.

My guess is
[*] = camera context menu
[@] = zoom off
[ok] = next cam in cycle ?
[<-] = go to setup screen
[>>] ?
[>||] toggle cycling ?
[<<] ?

I think you pretty much have it.

rew and ff would be digital zoom in/out. I know some cameras have real optical zoom, but I don't have one of those, so I can't code for it. Digital is kind of silly, but I've found use for it on occasion, so I like it. always reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwnI0RS6J5A

If you want grid mode, just hit ok till you get to the grid, and it should stay there. There's no option to start in grid mode at this time.

farside847

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Could this support the dropcam/nestcam?

BradC
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Probably not.

If I get one sometime in the future, I'll probably try to find a way to make it work. Right now, though, I don't have one so I can't write for it. I only have mjpeg cameras, so this was written to work for those.

sorry.

blackcows

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:55 am

Does this channel still work? Trying to get it to work this am but I seem to be stuck in settings, can't figure out how to get out of the setting once I set up a camera.

Atlanal

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Nevermind, I found my answer
A question on the passwords being stored in clear text; is the transmission of the camera password just done over my local network? Or is this being synced in clear text with Roku's app settings and logins?

Or, if it is going outside of my network, is that encrypted in anyway as apart of Roku's systems to backup application logins/accounts? Now that I think of it, I'm really kind of ignorant as to how any of the Roku systems work. Other thank knowing I only have to login to Netflix (as an example) on one device for it to work on all of my Roku boxes on that account. I'm assuming there is some kind of transmission there.
The passwords are only stored locally and not connected with my Roku account at all. Meaning they are only used as clear text over my network with the camera (assuming?). We're good, thanks. Cool application.

blackcows wrote:
Does this channel still work? Trying to get it to work this am but I seem to be stuck in settings, can't figure out how to get out of the setting once I set up a camera.

Just keep hitting down. It'll cycle through all the settings on screen, and should eventually highlight "Done" in the lower right. If everything is input correctly (right camera/mode, user, pass) it should save. If it doesn't then something isn't set right, from my experience. Once corrected it should work.

StayPuff

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Confirmed compatibility with GW Security IP cams that have snapshot functionality built in:

I am using this app with three GW Security cams successfully. All app features working too. LOVE this app!

Cameras are 2592 x 1920 5MP, and 1920 x 1080 2MP.

To use, select the JPEG option in the app. In the address bar type: http://IP/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?stream=0 (IP is your local LAN address for each camera, e.g. 192.168.0.120)

You can adjust the refresh rate down to 1 second if you want.

I'm guessing this app will work with any IP camera with snapshot built in, but I can confirm that it definitely works with GW Security cameras.

Thanks a million for this wonderful program! :D