Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cycleboy506
Topic Author

No MHL Power on Sony Bravia KDL40W tv?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm

hi, why doesn't the MHL port on my new Sony Bravia KDL40W600B TV power my Roku Stick?

MHL port on the Sony (HDMI 1/MHL input) is supposed to supply power to the connected device. When I disconnect the power adapter, the Roku Stick turns off. I don't see Sony listed as a "partner", but I don't understand why this wouldn't work.

regards,
js.

theuser86

Re: No MHL Power on Sony Bravia KDL40W tv?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:30 am

Which Streaming Stick do you have? Model 3400 or Model 3500?

The new Streaming Stick is Model 3500 which is the HDMI version, not the MHL version. Hence you need a separate power supply.

AeRoSpaceman

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah, it sounds like you are using the HDMI only Roku Streaming Stick (model 3500) as theuser86 mentioned. It must be powered externally to be able to use it. The ROKU stick MHL version (model 3400) can be powered by the tv's MHL port and doesn't need an external power supply. They are two different sticks that look pretty much the same. Since the MHL port is "also" a standard HDMI port, this allows you to use your HDMI only stick(3500) but you must use external power. On the other hand the MHL stick will not work in a standard HDMI port as it does not produce power for the device(which doesn't have the ability for external power). You can still get ROKU MHL sticks if you want to have no cords, but I would stay with the HDMI only version as it is a better device and allows screen mirroring.
OTA Antenna "Actual Rabbit Ears", 42" JVC EM42FTR, Roku Streaming Stick (MHL :-)) 3400x (1EL54H001869) (ROKU Beta)

cycleboy506
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks - you've answered my question. I don't know why Roku *hides* the MHL version of the stick in the "Roku Ready" section of their website. I mean, it's not listed on the product page with the three boxes.

BTW, how do I do screen mirroring with the Roku? I just bought a ChromeCast for that...Oh...i see it's not supported on iOS or Mac OS X. Oh well...

thanks,
js.