Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:41 pm

skeptic wrote:
... You can buy TVs with Roku built in from Hisense and TCL. Who?

Oh, allow me: TCL is the 3rd largest TV producer in the world, they sell more sets than Sony. Hisense is #5 (in order, the list goes: Samsung, LG Electronics, TCL, Sony, Hisense). And their American market packaging proudly carries a "Hecho en Mexico" stamp, just like Samsung's... but that's another story 8)

AndroidTV will be on 2015 models from Sony, Philips and Sharp. Who backs one product vs another doesn't mean the backed product is better than the other, but it does have a big influence on which will be more successful.

2010-2013, Google was pushing an Android-based streaming platform named "Google TV". It was backed by Sony, LG, Asus, Netgear, Logitech etc - who released TVs and boxes with that. How did that go, anybody remember?

EnTerr

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:08 pm

twiceover wrote:
I don't know, but I hope they call it the "Roku 3". I mean, why not have another version of the 3, 3 versions of the 2, 2 versions of the 1, 2 versions of the XD, an LT, a couple different 1000 series.

Not to forget 3 versions of LT (2400, 2450, 2700) or 4, if we count the "Roku HD" (2500) which was just repainted LT.

A new top of the line, "Roku 4" was just released - and they did call it "Roku 3" again, indeed! Image
The 2013 "Roku 3" model (4200) lost the game/motion/headphones remote and get demoted to 2015 "Roku 2" (4210)

I think they are sticking to the 1-2-3 naming and to distinguish them we'll have to include the model year when naming them - just like cars. Personally i advocate using the model number

vnazario

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Roku needs to worry more about FireTV and AndroidTV than AppleTV. Hate to say it, and many of you will vehemently disagree, but Roku needs to jump on the Android bandwagon. It's a good device, but moving forward I don't think it can compete long term with Apple products on one side and Android devices on the other. Apple has their semi-closed ecosystem, and a plethora of fan-boys. Once AppleTV is current again I don't see Roku stealing many iTunes loving customers. Android is just plain huge with major backing from large corporations. You can buy TVs with Roku built in from Hisense and TCL. Who? AndroidTV will be on 2015 models from Sony, Philips and Sharp. Who backs one product vs another doesn't mean the backed product is better than the other, but it does have a big influence on which will be more successful. Roku has a great reputation for being a solid streamer with eleventy-billion channels, but the general interest and momentum is headed the other way.

BTW, Roku just released an upgraded version of the Roku 3.

People have been saying exactly this for almost 5 years, and it's still not true. "Jumping on the Android bandwagon" would involve completely rewriting everything on the Roku backend, and that's neither cheap nor feasible. In the end, the Roku seems to be working and selling just fine, regardless of 5 years of people saying exactly what you just said.

Hello:

I agree that "starting from scratch" is not feasible for Roku. Especially for compatibility with older streamers. However, the use of Brightscript really limits the upgrade possibilities and developer involvement with this. An Open-Source OS like Android or better supported Linux distribution could make it easier for developers to make apps and feature updates. As is now, Roku can't compete with AndroidTV boxes (Fire/Nexus/Others) as far as playing advanced games. If Apple ever decided to open the app store and other locked functions of iOS on ATV then Roku will certainly fall behind or at a minimum have a harder time to stay ahead in the internet streamer market.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

BoloMKXXVIII

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 am

umeng2002 wrote:
Their next box needs hardware h.265/ HEVC, 4K and maybe 3D support along with the other usual upgrades.

Agree on the hardware h.265 support but think 3D is an almost dead turkey...again.

I would still like to see a premium model sold along side their regular line. One that includes OTA w/DVR functionality. I would pay them a few dollars a months for the EPG. It would be nice to have it all in just one box.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

Basil

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
...I would still like to see a premium model sold along side their regular line. One that includes OTA w/DVR functionality. I would pay them a few dollars a months for the EPG. It would be nice to have it all in just one box.

Um, sounds like a TiVo OTA. Well, except for the fact that TiVo has limited app support (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Hulu Plus, and a very few more). Now, if you figure out why TiVo OTA isn't selling like hotcakes, you'll know why Roku hasn't gone down the DVR path.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

mike_ekim

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am

Basil wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
...I would still like to see a premium model sold along side their regular line. One that includes OTA w/DVR functionality. I would pay them a few dollars a months for the EPG. It would be nice to have it all in just one box.

Um, sounds like a TiVo OTA. Well, except for the fact that TiVo has limited app support (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Hulu Plus, and a very few more). Now, if you figure out why TiVo OTA isn't selling like hotcakes, you'll know why Roku hasn't gone down the DVR path.

TiVo OTA isn't selling like hotcakes because it requires a $14.99/month subscription with a 1-year commitment. Not many people want to pay $14.99/month for a DVR for their OTA TV.

Roku hasn't gone down the DVR path because Roku doesn't need to. DVRs are more complicated to engineer/license/support, and there is no market pressure for Roku to bother. DVRs seem to be going out of fashion. The growing market is in streaming. Whenever a HTPC software package is developed (XBMC/Kodi, MediaBrowser, MediaCenter, etc) DVR functions are typically the last thing to get implemented.

kc8pql

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 am

Now, if you figure out why TiVo OTA isn't selling like hotcakes, you'll know why Roku hasn't gone down the DVR path.

Roku, or Anthony Wood anyway, already went down the DVR path (ReplayTV).

Anthony Wood, Founder and CEO, Roku

A pioneer and innovator in TV and digital media, Anthony Wood is the Founder and CEO of Roku, a name that means "six" in Japanese to represent his sixth company. In the early days of Roku, Anthony also served as the vice president of Internet TV at Netflix, where he developed what is known today as the Roku streaming player, originally designed as the original video player for Netflix.

Prior to Roku, Anthony invented the digital video recorder (DVR) and founded ReplayTV, where he served as President and CEO before the company's acquisition and subsequent sale to DirecTV. Before ReplayTV, Anthony was co-Founder and CEO of iband, Inc., an Internet software company sold to Macromedia in 1996. The code base developed by Anthony at iBand became a central part of the original core code of Macromedia now known as Adobe Dreamweaver. After selling iBand, Anthony became the vice president of Internet Authoring at Macromedia. Earlier in his career, Anthony was Founder and CEO of SunRize Industries, a supplier of hardware and software tools for non-linear audio recording and editing. Anthony holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Texas A&M University.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

vnazario

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Basil wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Hi Basil:

TiVo has A LOT of apps. It now supports Amazon Prime (Before just Instant). Ever since TiVo adopted the OperaTV store, TiVo has many games, apps and most of the better apps already available on Roku. The $15 sub price is a bit expensive but truth is no other DVR solution comes even close to TiVo as far as universal search and DVR functions. And with all the apps available for it, it makes for a great stand-a-lone product for cord-cutters. IMO, if you can afford it, get a TiVo with lifetime (HD, Premiere, Roamio) but although expensive at $15 per month it is a superior product worth paying a bit more for.

My only "beef" with TiVo is that it cost too much to add multi-room and remote access features by needing to buy TiVo Mini's and TiVo stream. In my home we use TiVo as primary DVR and Simple.TV and EyeTV as secondary DVR solutions for multi-room viewing with Roku's and remote access. A 1st gen Simple.TV STV-1000 for $100 with lifetime is better and cheaper for collecting shows, remote access and multi-room with Roku but the experience is so much better on TiVo on a main/primary TV.

Hope this clears misconceptions regarding TiVo. Yes, expensive but worth the extra money IMO if you can afford it.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Basil

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 pm

vnazario wrote:
...TiVo has A LOT of apps. It now supports Amazon Prime (Before just Instant). Ever since TiVo adopted the OperaTV store, TiVo has many games, apps and most of the better apps already available on Roku. The $15 sub price is a bit expensive but truth is no other DVR solution comes even close to TiVo as far as universal search and DVR functions. And with all the apps available for it, it makes for a great stand-a-lone product for cord-cutters. IMO, if you can afford it, get a TiVo with lifetime (HD, Premiere, Roamio) but although expensive at $15 per month it is a superior product worth paying a bit more for.

My only "beef" with TiVo is that it cost too much to add multi-room and remote access features by needing to buy TiVo Mini's and TiVo stream. In my home we use TiVo as primary DVR and Simple.TV and EyeTV as secondary DVR solutions for multi-room viewing with Roku's and remote access. A 1st gen Simple.TV STV-1000 for $100 with lifetime is better and cheaper for collecting shows, remote access and multi-room with Roku but the experience is so much better on TiVo on a main/primary TV.

Hope this clears misconceptions regarding TiVo. Yes, expensive but worth the extra money IMO if you can afford it.

Oh, I agree that TiVo is a great service. But, yeah, expensive. I have a Premiere box with lifetime service (in addition to a Roamio OTA), and really enjoy the service. I've used Simple.TV, as well as a Windows Media Center setup. While they do work, they pale in comparison to TiVo.

I've used some of the apps in the Opera Store, but nothing that I kept. Honestly, it has enough apps to do what most people want a DVR and streaming box to do. But that $15/month service is the killer. Without it, TiVo couldn't survive. And, if Roku went down the DVR path, we'd end up with a TiVo Roamio OTA in a more compact form. And a monthly service in the $12-$15 range. That's why it won't work.

Ah, but back to the topic/title of this thread. Roku 4.

There may be something that bears that name at some time in the future (the 4K machine, perhaps), but no one that knows can say, and those that will say don't know (or would be violating NDA).
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

Nnyan

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:20 am

Oh, allow me: TCL is the 3rd largest TV producer in the world, they sell more sets than Sony. Hisense is #5 (in order, the list goes: Samsung, LG Electronics, TCL, Sony, Hisense). And their American market packaging proudly carries a "Hecho en Mexico" stamp, just like Samsung's... but that's another story 8)

I don't think Roku needs to jump on the Android bandwagon, don't really see why they would need to. I DO think they need to get on better quality TV's. TCL may be the 3rd largest TV Producer in the world but here in the states? A bit of a different story. Their best rated TV is avg at best and they may use some of the same parts as the better known brands but it takes more than just a quality screen to make a quality TV. Doesn't take much research to see the same exact TV/Monitor screen used in different products that have widely different experiences. At this point I would rather move down in screen size then buy some craptastic TV b/c it's cheap.

theuser86

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:33 am

D*mn Neveruary has arrived, I've been waiting so long for a new box.

arrowrand

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:51 am

Call me crazy, but I think that the current Roku 3 stands up quite well hardware wise, even against the rumors of the new Apple TV hardware. If Roku does anything at all over the next 6 months to a year the should concentrate on improving the UI.
Nvidia Shield TV, Roku 4 - 55" 4K
Mi Box - 47" LED
Google Nexus Player - 42" LED
Google Nexus Player - 32" LCD
----
Gigabit Fiber

gkl

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:19 am

In my view, the one thing the next generation of Roku should do is seamlessly integrate OTA and OTT, shipped with a universal remote that is designed to natively operate the TV and Roku as seamlessly (i.e., no need to switch sources) as possible. That would be the product which would have the biggest mass market appeal as cord cutting moves from early adopters to a mass market tipping point.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Exress
Apple TV 3
1 Mohu Sky, 1 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

EnTerr

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:22 am

arrowrand wrote:
Call me crazy, but I think that the current Roku 3 stands up quite well hardware wise, even against the rumors of the new Apple TV hardware. If Roku does anything at all over the next 6 months to a year the should concentrate on improving the UI.

Yes, Roku3 approximately matches FireTV Stick in fire power. Sans support for gamepad controllers.

I'll go on a limb here and predict Roku4 is going to be a "4K" (an unnecessary resolution but a fad that will sell boxes).

RokuCo are doing something to improve the UI - they will be rolling a new API for developers to improve their channels over the next few months (so they can look/act like the home screen and less like five years ago).