Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
NinetySeven
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:45 am

skeptic wrote:
Roku needs to worry more about FireTV and AndroidTV than AppleTV. Hate to say it, and many of you will vehemently disagree, but Roku needs to jump on the Android bandwagon. It's a good device, but moving forward I don't think it can compete long term with Apple products on one side and Android devices on the other. Apple has their semi-closed ecosystem, and a plethora of fan-boys. Once AppleTV is current again I don't see Roku stealing many iTunes loving customers. Android is just plain huge with major backing from large corporations. You can buy TVs with Roku built in from Hisense and TCL. Who? AndroidTV will be on 2015 models from Sony, Philips and Sharp. Who backs one product vs another doesn't mean the backed product is better than the other, but it does have a big influence on which will be more successful. Roku has a great reputation for being a solid streamer with eleventy-billion channels, but the general interest and momentum is headed the other way.

BTW, Roku just released an upgraded version of the Roku 3.

I've been using Roku since the beginning. As I bought more devices, I looked at the other offerings and always chose the Roku. Even as an Apple fan (iMac, MBA, iPad, iPhone) I still buy Roku's instead of Apple TVs.

I was about to buy an Amazon the last time, but they didn't have HBOGO (I think that was it) so I went with the Roku again.

I guess I'm just saying that this is a standalone device and I don' t think fans of certain things (Apple, Android, etc.) plays that big of a part in it.
 
NinetySeven
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:47 am

raqball wrote:
Roku is fine as it is in my opinion. What I'd really like to see is an antenna in jack and an app that opens the OTA feeds. I'd pay $150 for a Roku with OTA capability..

I'm just curious why you want the antenna to connect to your Roku? I connect my antenna directly to my TV and get great OTA HD.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:54 am

NinetySeven wrote:
raqball wrote:
Roku is fine as it is in my opinion. What I'd really like to see is an antenna in jack and an app that opens the OTA feeds. I'd pay $150 for a Roku with OTA capability..

I'm just curious why you want the antenna to connect to your Roku? I connect my antenna directly to my TV and get great OTA HD.


People apparently hate switching inputs. I've never understood that myself.
 
gkl
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:30 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
NinetySeven wrote:
raqball wrote:
Roku is fine as it is in my opinion. What I'd really like to see is an antenna in jack and an app that opens the OTA feeds. I'd pay $150 for a Roku with OTA capability..

I'm just curious why you want the antenna to connect to your Roku? I connect my antenna directly to my TV and get great OTA HD.


People apparently hate switching inputs. I've never understood that myself.


It is simple: you're ready to switch to a different Roku channel and you forget that you switched to the TV on the remote to adjust the sound or you want to change the volume but you forget that you switched to the Roku to change channels. It's not a big deal, but it is a nuisance, it is clunky, and if you want to reach a mass market, anything you can do to make the process seamless is a good thing. Early adopters are willing to live with nuisances and clunkiness. The mass market will be less inclined to do so.

If Roku doesn't do it, someone else will. TiVO and Channel Master have already started down that road, but no one offers the wide selection of streaming choices Roku does. if it were to come up with a device that is a mashup of a DVR+ and a Roku 3 with seamless integration of OTA/OTT both as to interface and the remote, it would be a grand slam. As the market grows someone will do this. If Roku allows it to be one of its bigger, more wealthy competitors, it will blow the lead it now has.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:50 pm

gkl wrote:
It is simple: you're ready to switch to a different Roku channel and you forget that you switched to the TV on the remote to adjust the sound or you want to change the volume but you forget that you switched to the Roku to change channels. It's not a big deal, but it is a nuisance, it is clunky, and if you want to reach a mass market, anything you can do to make the process seamless is a good thing. Early adopters are willing to live with nuisances and clunkiness. The mass market will be less inclined to do so.

If Roku doesn't do it, someone else will. TiVO and Channel Master have already started down that road, but no one offers the wide selection of streaming choices Roku does. if it were to come up with a device that is a mashup of a DVR+ and a Roku 3 with seamless integration of OTA/OTT both as to interface and the remote, it would be a grand slam. As the market grows someone will do this. If Roku allows it to be one of its bigger, more wealthy competitors, it will blow the lead it now has.


It's not at all clunky to me, because that's how me, you, and everyone else has been switching between our DVD player, cable box, VCR, game system, etc. forever. Literally as long as those devices have existed. The idea of live TV being a submenu of some other device is weird, and means that it's subject to the processing of that device (and could lose quality/speed). Not to mention that all legacy devices will require input switching, as will new game devices that come out in the future. The only people for whom this is a big deal are those who have zero additional devices - I bet that's a rather small number of us.
 
NinetySeven
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:04 pm

gkl wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
NinetySeven wrote:
raqball wrote:
Roku is fine as it is in my opinion. What I'd really like to see is an antenna in jack and an app that opens the OTA feeds. I'd pay $150 for a Roku with OTA capability..

I'm just curious why you want the antenna to connect to your Roku? I connect my antenna directly to my TV and get great OTA HD.


People apparently hate switching inputs. I've never understood that myself.


It is simple: you're ready to switch to a different Roku channel and you forget that you switched to the TV on the remote to adjust the sound or you want to change the volume but you forget that you switched to the Roku to change channels. It's not a big deal, but it is a nuisance, it is clunky, and if you want to reach a mass market, anything you can do to make the process seamless is a good thing. Early adopters are willing to live with nuisances and clunkiness. The mass market will be less inclined to do so.

If Roku doesn't do it, someone else will. TiVO and Channel Master have already started down that road, but no one offers the wide selection of streaming choices Roku does. if it were to come up with a device that is a mashup of a DVR+ and a Roku 3 with seamless integration of OTA/OTT both as to interface and the remote, it would be a grand slam. As the market grows someone will do this. If Roku allows it to be one of its bigger, more wealthy competitors, it will blow the lead it now has.

I am not following you. How is being annoyed because you have to switch your remote when changing the volume or Roku channels going to change if the Roku integrates OTA?
 
gkl
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:42 pm

NinetySeven wrote:
I am not following you. How is being annoyed because you have to switch your remote when changing the volume or Roku channels going to change if the Roku integrates OTA?


I'll try this again. (I covered this below in my first post on this thread.) Basically, what I am suggesting is a mashup of the DVR+ and the Roku 3.

With a DVR+, you get one seamlessly integrated interface that combines OTA and OTT, all controlled by one remote, which, in addition to controlling the DVR+ can be programmed to control essential elements of the TV to which it is attached, namely volume and on/off, without any need to switch the source back and forth. All the DVR+ lacks is most of the more popular streaming channels, such as Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Amazon, WatchESPN, MLB.TV, iHeart Radio, TuneIn, Spotify, Plex, Acorn, and a few others. If it had those, it would be exactly what I'm talking about: one devise, one remote that doesn't require changing the source, and one seamless interface. I had essentially this set up 15 years ago with a Sony VCR and Sony receiver hooked to my TV, all controlled by a single remote. It wasn't as elegant as a DVR+, but it was less clunky than the current Roku 3 attached to the TV.

What you don't get with using the TV tuner is a robust, cable-like electronic program guide. At least in my market, some of the networks don't even display what is on right then, much less an easy grid to see what is coming on next and what is coming on after that. The DVR+ does this. Why not one box that does it all and one remote to control it all without having to switch sources. Channel Master and TiVO have proven the concept can work, but they lack Roku's catalog of streaming options. This can't be rocket science.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
 
NinetySeven
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:16 pm

gkl wrote:
can be programmed to control essential elements of the TV to which it is attached, namely volume and on/off,
But that is a COMPLETELY different thing than wanting OTA built into the Roku. I agree with you and have a thread going right now asking why the Roku remote doesn't have TV power and volume on it. That would be a great addition. But I wouldn't want the Roku to become some type of DVR or OTA box, it's not what it's for.
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:09 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
I would still like to see a premium model sold along side their regular line. One that includes OTA w/DVR functionality. I would pay them a few dollars a months for the EPG. It would be nice to have it all in just one box.

TiVo has this covered. For the second time this summer, TiVo is selling a Roamio/OTA for $300 which includes four tuners, a 500g disk, and a lifetime subscription to their guide/service. The Roamio/OTA streams Amazon Instant Video/Prime, Vudu, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, MLB.tv, and Plex. You can add remote units (Minis) for ~$100 -- about the cost of a Roku 3.

Roku would be better off partnering with Channel Master to get on their DVR+ (which happens to be a Linux device).
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 pm

gkl wrote:
I'll try this again. (I covered this below in my first post on this thread.) Basically, what I am suggesting is a mashup of the DVR+ and the Roku 3.

With a DVR+, you get one seamlessly integrated interface that combines OTA and OTT, all controlled by one remote, which, in addition to controlling the DVR+ can be programmed to control essential elements of the TV to which it is attached, namely volume and on/off, without any need to switch the source back and forth. All the DVR+ lacks is most of the more popular streaming channels, such as Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Amazon, WatchESPN, MLB.TV, iHeart Radio, TuneIn, Spotify, Plex, Acorn, and a few others. If it had those, it would be exactly what I'm talking about: one devise, one remote that doesn't require changing the source, and one seamless interface. I had essentially this set up 15 years ago with a Sony VCR and Sony receiver hooked to my TV, all controlled by a single remote. It wasn't as elegant as a DVR+, but it was less clunky than the current Roku 3 attached to the TV.

What you don't get with using the TV tuner is a robust, cable-like electronic program guide. At least in my market, some of the networks don't even display what is on right then, much less an easy grid to see what is coming on next and what is coming on after that. The DVR+ does this. Why not one box that does it all and one remote to control it all without having to switch sources. Channel Master and TiVO have proven the concept can work, but they lack Roku's catalog of streaming options. This can't be rocket science.

I've suggested this to Channel Master. Their Linear OTT has stalled and the DVR+ is missing key apps. Integrating Roku would let them focus on making a great DVR.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:31 pm

NinetySeven wrote:
I wouldn't want the Roku to become some type of DVR or OTA box, it's not what it's for.

Why would you not want this added functionality? It's kind of like not wanting a radio in a car because listening to music is not what cars are for.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:49 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
It's not at all clunky to me, because that's how me, you, and everyone else has been switching between our DVD player, cable box, VCR, game system, etc. forever. Literally as long as those devices have existed. The idea of live TV being a submenu of some other device is weird, and means that it's subject to the processing of that device (and could lose quality/speed). Not to mention that all legacy devices will require input switching, as will new game devices that come out in the future. The only people for whom this is a big deal are those who have zero additional devices - I bet that's a rather small number of us.

I bought a couple Tivos and a Mini in May. I bought a third Tivo and a second Mini last week. I haven't 'switched to' a Roku, Fire TV, or disc player since. Tivo's streaming is flawed and their DVR is imperfect, but it is the best single device, single remote, single outlet, single hdmi port solution out there. Nobody *wants* to switch remotes and/or inputs. We tolerate it.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Basil wrote:
Now, if you figure out why TiVo OTA isn't selling like hotcakes, you'll know why Roku hasn't gone down the DVR path.

What are the sales figures for the TiVo Roamio/OTA? I know I have purchased three this summer.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
TiVo OTA isn't selling like hotcakes because it requires a $14.99/month subscription with a 1-year commitment. Not many people want to pay $14.99/month for a DVR for their OTA TV.

The Tivo Roamio/OTA is on sale RIGHT NOW for $299.99. That price includes Lifetime Service. It has been on sale without a monthly fee for most of the summer.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/supersavings
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Basil wrote:
Oh, I agree that TiVo is a great service. But, yeah, expensive. I have a Premiere box with lifetime service (in addition to a Roamio OTA), and really enjoy the service. I've used Simple.TV, as well as a Windows Media Center setup. While they do work, they pale in comparison to TiVo.

Yesterday, Woot had Minis for $70 and TiVo had the Roamio/OTA for $300 with Lifetime. Four rooms for $515 for about the same price as a Roku in each room.
Basil wrote:
I've used some of the apps in the Opera Store, but nothing that I kept. Honestly, it has enough apps to do what most people want a DVR and streaming box to do. But that $15/month service is the killer. Without it, TiVo couldn't survive. And, if Roku went down the DVR path, we'd end up with a TiVo Roamio OTA in a more compact form. And a monthly service in the $12-$15 range. That's why it won't work.

TiVo has been selling DVRs with Lifetime for years. This summer they have been offering the Roamio/OTA with Lifetime. The price has ranged from $300 to $400. Since there are no 'follow on' fees, you have to assume they are making money at $300 or are clearing out stock. Either way, it works. I had similar misgivings when I paid $205 for an OOMA hub. I have paid no fees for six years and they are still in business.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests