Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
Bacon
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 am

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:57 am

I own and Fire TV and used to own a Roku 3, and power isn't really an issue on Roku. Apps run just as fast on Roku even if they're a bit uglier most of the time, and thankfully apps like Plex are updating with better interfaces. Amazon was aiming for Fire TV to be a more game heavy device too, which is why they invested so much in the internals, but for streaming 1080p video is just isn't that necessary.

I could see myself going back to Roku eventually, but I really love being able to run Kodi.
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:08 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
Funny that you say this at a time when the latest sales figures show Roku at the top of the charts, while big, bad Apple has fallen to fourth place. Perhaps you meant that company out of Cupertino when you said "...while the world is washing past"? http://www.parksassociates.com/blog/art ... -landscape

I'm just going by the number of feature requests that asked for in this forum and not implemented.

Heyitsrick wrote:
Surprised to read this. I'm sure there were people who never thought Roku would enter into partnerships with television manufacturers to showcase their technology and services. Since they did - and before other "big players" - why in the world would a DVR option w/OTA (or agreements with cable ops) be out of the realm of possibility? I'm not getting this. They've already demonstrated they're not going to just offer incremental box updates. Given that, why would you think they wouldn't want to explore or foresee other means of offering their services? That, honestly, seems directly contradicted by what they've already done. I guess you think they're just going to rest on their proverbial laurels now. I'd tend to give them more credit than that.

You missed the word hardware. I think they want to sell a service not hardware. AW has said this.

Heyitsrick wrote:
You mentioned Tivo as a company that listens. Well, they're still holding firm on the monthly/lifetime subscription model for essentially a channel guide and DVR management. Granted, everyone loves the interface. Tivo occasionally has sales on its OTA Roamio's lifetime subscription pricing, which can reduce it to $300 ($50 for the box, $250 for half-price lifetime subscription). But they just can't quite let go of that model. Were they to settle on $200-$250 for the OTA Roamio with no additional fees, you'd probably be real close to the killer app of hardware.

Offering the OTA with Lifetime for a fixed cost is what I mean by listening. Adding Plex this summer. Adding the major streaming apps and the Opera store.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:10 am

Bacon wrote:
I own and Fire TV and used to own a Roku 3, and power isn't really an issue on Roku. Apps run just as fast on Roku even if they're a bit uglier most of the time, and thankfully apps like Plex are updating with better interfaces. Amazon was aiming for Fire TV to be a more game heavy device too, which is why they invested so much in the internals, but for streaming 1080p video is just isn't that necessary.

I could see myself going back to Roku eventually, but I really love being able to run Kodi.

I think it's the apps that are not on the Roku that demonstrate the performance gap...especially games.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
mike_ekim
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:32 am

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 am

Voldemort wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
Surprised to read this. I'm sure there were people who never thought Roku would enter into partnerships with television manufacturers to showcase their technology and services. Since they did - and before other "big players" - why in the world would a DVR option w/OTA (or agreements with cable ops) be out of the realm of possibility? I'm not getting this. They've already demonstrated they're not going to just offer incremental box updates. Given that, why would you think they wouldn't want to explore or foresee other means of offering their services? That, honestly, seems directly contradicted by what they've already done. I guess you think they're just going to rest on their proverbial laurels now. I'd tend to give them more credit than that.

You missed the word hardware. I think they want to sell a service not hardware. AW has said this.

Exactly. Roku CEO Anthony Wood is credited for inventing the DVR. Prior to Roku he ran a company called ReplayTV. In interviews Anthony Wood has said he always viewed DVRs as stepping stones until online TV was available. If he wanted the Roku to have DVR capabilities, it would have them already. The Roku lacks MPEG2 decoding and is fundamentally unsuited as a standalone OTA or cable DVR or playback device. The licensing cost is minimal; Raspberry Pi owners can get a MPEG2 decode license for about $4. Roku could offer a Roku with MPEG2 support and sell optional licenses, but they don't and lack of MPEG2 decoding is a consensus choice, not an afterthought or accidental omission. Omitting MPEG2 saves hardware/software and licensing cost, and reduces headaches for Roku tech support. The lack of hardware/licensing options shows that Roku as a company has no interest in being a DVR, period.
 
Bacon
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 am

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:51 am

Voldemort wrote:
Bacon wrote:
I own and Fire TV and used to own a Roku 3, and power isn't really an issue on Roku. Apps run just as fast on Roku even if they're a bit uglier most of the time, and thankfully apps like Plex are updating with better interfaces. Amazon was aiming for Fire TV to be a more game heavy device too, which is why they invested so much in the internals, but for streaming 1080p video is just isn't that necessary.

I could see myself going back to Roku eventually, but I really love being able to run Kodi.

I think it's the apps that are not on the Roku that demonstrate the performance gap...especially games.


Anyone serious about playing games should look into a system other than Fire TV.
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:02 am

mike_ekim wrote:
Roku CEO Anthony Wood is credited for inventing the DVR.

I will never understand why, since ReplayTV and TiVo were both shown first at CES 1999 and TiVo shipped first. (TiVo's Mike Ramsey and Jim Barton are said to have stolen the idea from Paul Beard of Alation System who disclosed it to them at a meeting under a non-disclosure agreement. Beard holds the first patent on the idea of digitizing and recording analog television to a hard disk, though he saw the HDD being an integrated component of the television).

This was not to start and OT rathole :mrgreen:.
 
Heyitsrick
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
Voldemort wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
Surprised to read this. I'm sure there were people who never thought Roku would enter into partnerships with television manufacturers to showcase their technology and services. Since they did - and before other "big players" - why in the world would a DVR option w/OTA (or agreements with cable ops) be out of the realm of possibility? I'm not getting this. They've already demonstrated they're not going to just offer incremental box updates. Given that, why would you think they wouldn't want to explore or foresee other means of offering their services? That, honestly, seems directly contradicted by what they've already done. I guess you think they're just going to rest on their proverbial laurels now. I'd tend to give them more credit than that.

You missed the word hardware. I think they want to sell a service not hardware. AW has said this.

Exactly. Roku CEO Anthony Wood is credited for inventing the DVR. Prior to Roku he ran a company called ReplayTV. In interviews Anthony Wood has said he always viewed DVRs as stepping stones until online TV was available. If he wanted the Roku to have DVR capabilities, it would have them already. The Roku lacks MPEG2 decoding and is fundamentally unsuited as a standalone OTA or cable DVR or playback device. The licensing cost is minimal; Raspberry Pi owners can get a MPEG2 decode license for about $4. Roku could offer a Roku with MPEG2 support and sell optional licenses, but they don't and lack of MPEG2 decoding is a consensus choice, not an afterthought or accidental omission. Omitting MPEG2 saves hardware/software and licensing cost, and reduces headaches for Roku tech support. The lack of hardware/licensing options shows that Roku as a company has no interest in being a DVR, period.


Yes, I'm aware of his feelings about DVRs in general, but would you agree that he's smart enough to see that (if) the marketplace isn't transitioning to totally on-demand streaming, he might have to be a bit transitional, himself?

(I don't see any inherent problems with a Roku "DVR". Why wouldn't the processing for both "parts" be modularized? The DVR would just handle tuning/recording/playback of OTA TV, while the Roku channels would be available in their own interface, not unlike the way one switches to an HDTV's "smart" functionality vs its tuner or other inputs.)

I don't know whether he rules with an iron-fist (a la Steve Jobs) or if he actually listens to those he's hired around him, but if he's able to ascertain where trends are actually going - to say, for example, a place where people are more or at least as interested in OTA than just plain OTT, are you saying he'd just go down with a sinking ship rather than adapt to the market? Why? Is he too proud or something? Would people lambaste him if he had a change of heart?

I think it's safe to say he's first and foremost a business person. Irrespective of his public comments, I don't think it would be too tough to have some things going on in the lab that aren't spoken of publicly. Hey, I don't know the guy, and maybe he is totally set in his ways and would never opt for anything that's not what he initially envisioned for the video entertainment market. But then again, maybe his vision is actually...right. Seems to be doing fine so far. Time will tell.
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Bacon wrote:
Voldemort wrote:
Bacon wrote:
I own and Fire TV and used to own a Roku 3, and power isn't really an issue on Roku. Apps run just as fast on Roku even if they're a bit uglier most of the time, and thankfully apps like Plex are updating with better interfaces. Amazon was aiming for Fire TV to be a more game heavy device too, which is why they invested so much in the internals, but for streaming 1080p video is just isn't that necessary.

I could see myself going back to Roku eventually, but I really love being able to run Kodi.

I think it's the apps that are not on the Roku that demonstrate the performance gap...especially games.


Anyone serious about playing games should look into a system other than Fire TV.

And what about people who are not serious about games? There are more of them.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Folks, keep in mind, Voldemort is Len Mullen, aka Wzwor/Simpleminded/Firedup.
You may remember having this same conversation several times before with his past incarnations.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
Heyitsrick
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:43 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Folks, keep in mind, Voldemort is Len Mullen, aka Wzwor/Simpleminded/Firedup.
You may remember having this same conversation several times before with his past incarnations.


haha...thanks. I'm somehow reminded of one Troy McClure.
 
Voldemort
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz shares with his students a strategy for successfully defending cases. If the facts are on your side, pound the facts into the table. If the law is on your side, pound the law into the table. If neither the facts nor the law are on your side, pound the table.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
 
socantra
Posts: 1443
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:08 pm

This entire thread is drifting rather far afield....................Not to mention becoming extremely silly. :lol:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
 
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5126
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Anyone know when Roku 4 will be released?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:39 pm

socantra wrote:
This entire thread is drifting rather far afield....................Not to mention becoming extremely silly. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iO5SGsWk54
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: renojim, twiceover and 29 guests