Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blackberrybunny
Topic Author

No Signal, then Roku screen, then No Signal, Roku screen

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Hello!

My mom just bought a brand new Hisense HD tv. I am not at her house to help her hook it up, but thought it would be fairly straightforward, and I stayed on the speakerphone with her while she unpacked her new tv and turned it on. She figured out where to plug the HDMI calbe in and has it in the #2 port and selected we selected HDMI2 from the Input screen. And she saw the ROKU screen, (Yay!!) where it shows your list of channels. Then, suddenly, it switched to a blue screen which said No Signal. Then the Roku screen again, then No Signal again! It would repeat this cycle endlessly.

Any ideas on what to do? I tried to walk her through some steps over the phone, but she is very confused, (she's older and doesn't understand the technology) and it's difficult.

Could it be a screen ratio problem? A setting on the new TV? Or a resolution setting for the ROKU perhaps?

So we know her HDMI cable works. It's new. And because she could see her Roku channels, etc. We tried unplugging the ROKU from the outlet, waiting a few seconds. Plugged it in, it booted up, then the same cycle happened. No Signal, Roku, No Signal, Roku....

Her new TV is a Hisense. Not sure if that would make any difference. It wanted her to do the total setup on her first time turning it on. It got to the part where it can 'search channels' for digital over-the-air channels, but I told her she didn't need to do that. (She lives so rural that no antenna ever picked up any channels anyways). She just wants to use the Roku on this new TV. I am disappointed the process ended up like this. Now she has no tv to watch!! She just gave her other one away yesterday!

Please help, much appreciated!!

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Re: No Signal, then Roku screen, then No Signal, Roku screen

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:48 pm

It sounds like a cable/connection issue. Does the TV have multiple HDMI inputs? If so, tell her to try another one and/or try swapping ends of the cable. I'd probably try another cable as well.

Good luck!
-JT

blackberrybunny
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:49 am

It's a standard HDMI cable.

She switched it around, still won't work. Today she can't even get a ROkU logo on her screen, just the 'No Signal" blue screen.

She even tried putting it in the other HDMI port too, still the blue screen, No Signal

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:36 am

Did she try a DIFFERRENT HDMI cable? Simply switching it around won't do anything if the cable is flaky.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

blackberrybunny
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:12 am

We will have to buy another. This is the only one she has. It was new.

Rdepaul10

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

I am having this same issue at a hotel I just checked into. I know everything works like the cord and such because I just used it at home and tried it again there after. But when I plug it in the start up roku logo comes up and then after that no signal. Any ideas?