Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MWDXER
Topic Author

TV stations streaming news on the Roku

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:51 pm

So far we have about 90 US TV stations on the Roku. Is it hard for a TV station to write the software so the service can be added? KTLA 5 LA as well as something from the SF Bay area would be nice. Some states like Florida and Texas have quite a few TV stations on the Roku. Some states have one or none. CA only has KTTV 11 LA. Thanks

Frankie'sMarket

Re: TV stations streaming news on the Roku

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:17 am

Live feeds of CBS affiliates in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento are made available to Roku viewers living in those areas, provided they have a subscription to CBS All-Access.
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Ben Franklin

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:10 am

The CBS AllAccess setup is a little different than the situation where local stations are streaming local news or news clips.

The stations that are offering news programs or clips are probably using a third party service that either records and host, or takes uploads and hosts the content. Some are available via LiveStream, while others use a standalone app.

I have no idea what kind of costs are involved, but it's probably not extremely cheap. They'll either have to try to recover costs with advertising (ITT Tech or DebtSucker commercials and the like), feel that the online stream makes up for the cost in some intangible way, or just not do it. Many choose Option C.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

JW1200

Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 am

I use the free, Livestream channel and it brings me my local new, (Nashville) from the big 3 networks.