Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario
Topic Author

What do you use to watch favorite shows free on Roku

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 am

Hello:

I want to start this thread so we can all share where and how we watch our favorite shows on Roku for free. Below are some examples. Feel free to share your viewing tips and tricks to enjoy your shows. If we all chip in with ideas we can enjoy more the free content available on Roku.

Examples:

1. English dubbed anime like Naruto Shippuden and Fairy Tale using Android Firefox beta and Roku client from www.narutoget.com
2. Sportsnet 360 on Channel Pear. You can watch WWE Monday Night RAW at the same times it is being transmitted on USA Networks for those who have cable. Same with WWE Smackdown. You can also watch this on Sportsnet 360 on Channel Pear when it airs here on US cable channels. Sportsnet 360 is a Canadian live TV channel.

Feel free to chime in with other ways to watch your favorite shows free on Roku.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Elijah_Baley

Re: What do you use to watch favorite shows free on Roku

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:33 am

I have fallen into using Plex for the majority of my TV viewing. While I would not call its primary functionality (playing local media) free, as it costs money to get the shows/movies legally in most cases, the playing of those is free. Plex also has a secondary ability in its channels that allow you to play content from many providers websites. Almost all content on their web sites is available form CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, SyFy, Lifetime and many other video sources. They also have channels for other content like Pandora meaning that you can stay in Plex while accessing much of the content you want to view.

Plex has another advantage for browsing: If you start playback on say Pandora and then browse for something to watch Pandora will continue to play until you select other content to play.

Plex is far from perfect and the current user interface on the Roku is clunky at best but it works and works well for most people and accesses more content than I find anywhere else. BTW: I primarily use the branch of the regular Plex Roku channel called RARflix as it is MUCH better than the regular Plex channel. I also use the Plex Pass preview channel as it is visually much more appealing but it currently lacks channel support but when that is added it will, probably, become the only Plex channel I use.

As far as other channels on the Roku for free viewing goes: To be honest I have stopped using almost all of them. I do use some for viewing sports but the ones I use mostly do not fall into the "free" category. The one exception that is technically free is WatchESPN as it is free if your ISP is one of the participating partners.

But the bottom line to this is that Plex fills 90% or more of my viewing needs and I actually could drop the use of almost everything else and really not miss it much.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:00 am

firefox for android
plex via rarflix
a non-official youtube replacement
and to a lesser extent channel pear,the nowhere channels and occasionally Tubi TV -- I have Nick for the kids and a few niche channels every thing else is either subscription or requires a cable sub
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

thetick

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:20 pm

WatchESPN has lots of Area Football and professional Lacrosse all for free. Certainly not tier one pro sports but entertaining and very friendly on wallet if go see any of those games live. OTA is far better for sports than Roku unless you buy the NBA, MLB, or MSL packages.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

vnazario
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Hello:

Thanks for the replies to my thread so far. However, what I would like to get from forum members are specific shows and free Roku source used to watch them. The idea is for all of us to pitch in so we can discover new content on Roku that can be viewed for free. I subscribe to the 3 services but I want to focus on "freebie" sources so we all can enjoy.

For example:

I have in the past watched episodes of SyFy's "Dominion" on PLEX Syfy channel plug-in, but lately the SyFy PLEX channel has been kind of flaky and unreliable as of late.

Thanks again, to everyone whom have posted on this thread.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

vnazario
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:28 am

Hello:

Here are some more examples:

1. You can watch current TNA/Impact Wrestling shows on YouTube. No need to have "Destination America" cable channel to watch TNA wrestling.

2. TruTV shows like "Carbonaro Effect" and "Conspiracy Theory" can also be watched on YT. No need to have TruTV to watch these.

3. Machinima's "Mortal Kombat" mini TV series is a great show to watch on YT.

Enjoy. Please return the favor and post as well other "free goodies" so we can all enjoy.
vnazario

rosie-girl

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:42 am

how do i add these channels,,,

RokuDanny-R

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 am

Hi,

For more information on how to add channels to your Roku device, please visit our support page here:https://support.roku.com/article/208756388-how-do-i-add-channels-to-my-roku-streaming-device-

Please see Forum Guidelines for posting: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38665

If you still need assistance with this issue please feel free to create a new post. We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny
Roku Forum Moderator