Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jrijr
Topic Author

Roku 2 - Sling TV - TBS Not Connecting

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 am

I have two Roku's - a "stick" in my living room, and a Roku 2 in my bedroom.

I use Sling TV regularly. However, when watching in the bedroom, I repeatedly have trouble getting TBS to come up on Sling. When I scroll to the station, it gives me some random show that is not currently airing (often Conan). I will scroll to other stations - ESPN, AMC, Epix, etc. - and watch their programming. When I try to go to TBS from one of those stations, I get the message stating that "You are now watching TBS," but it remains the programming from the previous channel.

It is definitely the Roku 2. Last night I watched TBS on my phone when the issue came up. I also checked the living room, and the same thing occurred.

Reset? Yes. Unplugged and restarted? Yes. Updated the software? Yes. I have run out of options.

I have tweeted @Sling and @SlingAnswers about this issue before, and get the 138-character "We're sorry, could you explain more" response. Tired of trying here.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any suggestions of what I should/could do?
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 2 - Sling TV - TBS Not Connecting

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:02 am

You didn't say which Roku 2 (model 2720 or model 4210). I have neither, so I can't by saying "it works on my Roku 2" or "it doesn't work on my Roku 2." It does work on my Roku 3, which is a very similar box to the model 4210 Roku 2.

It really shouldn't make a difference, but if you remove the channel, restart the Roku, then re-install the channel, that ensures that it's not some glitch with the installation on that box that causes that single channel to act up.

By the way, you have tried EVERY other channel on Sling TV? You've tried some channels, but have you tried them all?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

jrijr
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:21 am

Basil wrote:
You didn't say which Roku 2 (model 2720 or model 4210). I have neither, so I can't by saying "it works on my Roku 2" or "it doesn't work on my Roku 2." It does work on my Roku 3, which is a very similar box to the model 4210 Roku 2.

It really shouldn't make a difference, but if you remove the channel, restart the Roku, then re-install the channel, that ensures that it's not some glitch with the installation on that box that causes that single channel to act up.

By the way, you have tried EVERY other channel on Sling TV? You've tried some channels, but have you tried them all?

Since I'm not home at the moment, I don't know which model of Roku 2 I have hooked up.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice in the last month. I shouldn't be required to do that each time an update occurs.

Yes, I have tried all the channels... TBS is the issue.
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

Basil

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:25 am

jrijr wrote:
Basil wrote:

Since I'm not home at the moment, I don't know which model of Roku 2 I have hooked up.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice in the last month. I shouldn't be required to do that each time an update occurs.

You mentioned uninstalling and reinstalling. Did you reboot in between the uninstallation and reinstallation? That's critical to ensure that it is a full removal and reinstallation.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

jrijr
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:31 am

Basil wrote:
jrijr wrote:
Basil wrote:

You mentioned uninstalling and reinstalling. Did you reboot in between the uninstallation and reinstallation? That's critical to ensure that it is a full removal and reinstallation.

I don't recall... I followed the twitter instructions they sent me.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:47 pm

I've got a 3050X, and although it does come in it is at a very low bitrate (c700kbps). I have in the past had the "Turner" (and only the Turner) channels crash my Roku.

Edit---just tried it again and it was the normal 3.7mbps, so the slow rate must have been a temporary anomaly. It did last for over a minute though at the slow rate when I checked the first time.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Basil

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 pm

jrijr wrote:
Basil wrote:

If the instructions didn't say to reboot in-between the removal and reinstallation, they are incomplete.

Just to ensure the point is made...
  1. Remove the channel
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Add the channel
Do that. In that order.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

jrijr
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Basil wrote:
jrijr wrote:
Basil wrote:

If the instructions didn't say to reboot in-between the removal and reinstallation, they are incomplete.

Just to ensure the point is made...
  1. Remove the channel
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Add the channel
Do that. In that order.

Done. It does not help.

Currently on hold with Sling TV support. Perhaps they have some insight, since the Twitter @SlingAnswers hasn't figured it out.

jrijr
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:53 pm

At the moment... Resolved! The woman on the other end of the phone did a reset, and had me reset my Roku time zone. She said they have experienced some issues with Roku clocks locking up and needing a reset to allow channels to come through.