Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

iFrog
Topic Author

did the new firmware break something?

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 am

Hey all,

I was notified of a firmware update this morning when I checked my player and went to update, it installed fine and the player worked fine.

Now, I can't delete channels from the player, and the software update fails. I was wondering if there is a problem with the new software, or if Roku's network is having issues.

Model Roku 3 Model 4230RW
software 6.2 build 3660

I also noticed the website was acting a bit slow and unusual too. If someone knows what's going on, please let me know

Thanks!

I wanted to add, that the unit apparently still has a working connection to the net, because i tried netflix and it loaded without problems, it only seems to be the Roku specific functions that are failing, checking for updates, and being able to manage channels.

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Re: did the new firmware break something?

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:48 am

There's currently an issue on the servers. It's being worked on.

--Mark

iFrog
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:52 am

There's currently an issue on the servers. It's being worked on.

--Mark

Thanks Mark for the heads up,

I was able to do some troubleshooting here and come to the conclusioni was a Roku network issue. I did want to mention I was able to finally get done what i was trying to do. Thanks again !

AeRoSpaceman

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 am

Yeah my stick wants me to update to 6.2.6004 I'm not gonna do anything until their issue gets sorted out.
OTA Antenna "Actual Rabbit Ears", 42" JVC EM42FTR, Roku Streaming Stick (MHL :-)) 3400x (1EL54H001869) (ROKU Beta)

iFrog
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:02 am

Yeah my stick wants me to update to 6.2.6004 I'm not gonna do anything until their issue gets sorted out

If you're able to see a firmware update, you're probably OK, I was able to confirm that it wasn't likely the firmware that caused problems as i have a box on the previous firmware that also experienced the problems and the website from a computer was also having problems. it's been a while hopefully it is resolved by now, or will be shortly.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:19 pm

AeRoSpaceman wrote:
Yeah my stick wants me to update to 6.2.6004 I'm not gonna do anything until their issue gets sorted out.

As stated above, there's a server problem, not a firmware problem.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

iFrog
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:25 pm

As stated above, there's a server problem, not a firmware problem

I wanted to find out if there was any kind of status on the problem? while I can access my channel content without problems, Roku server specific tasks such as software updates / channel management are hit and miss, sometimes it connects sometimes it fails instantly. I usually check for channel updates a couple times a day, or if add a new channel from the site, i have to run software update to have it show up instantly on the Roku player itself. I'm not in any hurry, and I have a computer background, so i have an understanding of these things can take a while to sort out depending on the problem. What's funny is, i don't see any public notice about this e.g. on Roku's site. That's why i started this thread to find out, and stay informed.

mikebdoss

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Just curious, why are you checking for channel updates a couple times a day?

iFrog
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:31 pm

It's a practice i have for all my devices, macbook, iPhone, linux server. Sometimes updates are released f different times a day so i just check to see if there are any new updates that need to be installed. The Roku isn't any different from any other computer when it comes to that regard. Of course, i always run check for updates when i add channels from the website as well so i can see them on the Roku player.
Last edited by iFrog on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AeRoSpaceman

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm

jeffrok wrote:
As stated above, there's a server problem, not a firmware problem.

Yeah I know. I was trying to update it and it would start the update and then timeout saying it could not connect the update server. I was just waiting for them to get it fixed. I guess I should have included that info...
OTA Antenna "Actual Rabbit Ears", 42" JVC EM42FTR, Roku Streaming Stick (MHL :-)) 3400x (1EL54H001869) (ROKU Beta)

iFrog
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:17 pm

What ROKU model was the firmware update targeted to? As I said my 4230X received it this morning before the server issues, but the 4210X and 4200X report up to date. Was the software update pulled because of the server problems, or is it only intended for the latest Roku 3?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:43 pm

Service has been restored. Sorry about that :)

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

mikebdoss

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:04 pm

iFrog wrote:

It's a practice i have for all my devices, macbook, iPhone, linux server. Sometimes updates are released f different times a day so i just check to see if there are any new updates that need to be installed. The Roku isn't any different from any other computer when it comes to that regard. Of course, i always run check for updates when i add channels from the website as well so i can see them on the Roku player.

You know the Roku (and most of those other devices) update automatically, right?

iFrog
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes, I know. It just depends on if i want to manually do it or let them do it automatically. If i'm already using the device i usually check.

BobRoberts

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:13 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Service has been restored. Sorry about that :)

C. Shawn Smith

Not here! Still unable to activate after 14 hours!