Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: did the new firmware break something?

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:59 am

BobRoberts wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:
Service has been restored. Sorry about that :)

C. Shawn Smith

Not here! Still unable to activate after 14 hours!

Try rebooting your equipment (router, modem, roku).

iFrog
Topic Author

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:03 am

there is still a slight glitch with the update feature, i've installed a few channels today and was doing a couple things with my old Roku and then the one i'm preparing for my mom, when you initially check for updates it still instantly says failed, and if you cancel and do it again then it works. Not a huge deal since i was still able to get my channels installed and the other two units updates and tested. I'm just bringing it up because there still seems to be an issue. This even happens after a reboot of the Roku units and network modem router, etc.

Thought id post this to give feedback.

BobRoberts

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:58 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
BobRoberts wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:
Service has been restored. Sorry about that :)

C. Shawn Smith

Not here! Still unable to activate after 14 hours!

Try rebooting your equipment (router, modem, roku).

Mike, this is my 4th ROKU in 5 years so I know all the troubleshooting tips. After 5 chats over 24 hours I finally got a supervisor to call me. He acknowledged that whatever was going on with the failure to activate was some incompatibility between some browsers and their servers. Told me to attempt it using only Chrome... BINGO. Activated! I asked why such information was not given to the low level "techs" or even posted on their support page. His response was "that's a good idea". DUH

iFrog
Topic Author

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Mike, this is my 4th ROKU in 5 years so I know all the troubleshooting tips. After 5 chats over 24 hours I finally got a supervisor to call me. He acknowledged that whatever was going on with the failure to activate was some incompatibility between some browsers and their servers. Told me to attempt it using only Chrome... BINGO. Activated! I asked why such information was not given to the low level "techs" or even posted on their support page. His response was "that's a good idea". DUH

It would have been nice to see AppleTV with the amount of content available as Roku, has. In my experience with all the technical gadgets and devices i've used over the years, there are three names that have stood out to me with quality and durability. Apple, SONY, and Pioneer. I'm sure other people would have different brands come to mind, but those are the three in my personal experience. I love Roku as a product and a concept. It just always feels glitchy at times at least.

Then again, every product has it's ups and downs at times. I've just never trusted streaming media 100 % that's why I still have a blu-ray player for local HD movies, and other content. that don't require an internet connection.

With All that said, my Roku seems to be functioning normally now in spite of that little glitch mentioned above.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Contrary to what we believed on Friday, we're still having some issues. I'll update if and when I can.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

candita

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Ty Shawn I was getting ready to make a post about this. I havent been able to update any of my 3 Rokus

iFrog
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:04 pm

might be a good idea to take advantage of the USB port on the box Roku models, to allow firmware updates from a flash drive. Most drives do. It would be a good safeguard in case of network issues.

For the Roku stick that's usb powered so it could be updated connected to a computer.

Grand Total

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm

candita wrote:
Ty Shawn I was getting ready to make a post about this. I havent been able to update any of my 3 Rokus
I see that as a plus. My Roku is working perfectly thank you very much, it needs no "improvement". If it never gets updated again I'll be happy.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.

iFrog
Topic Author

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:04 am

I see that as a plus. My Roku is working perfectly thank you very much, it needs no "improvement". If it never gets updated again I'll be happy

A curious thing happened to me this morning, The Roku reported an update and it looks like it reverted to the previous build number. Was this intended? or is this a whole new firmware? It says 6.2 build 3467, which I think was the previous build.

Anyway still seems to work. Anyway just thought I'd throw that up to let people know.