Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

stutch13
Topic Author

CBSN

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:51 am

This isn't a problem so much as it is a nuisance.. There are times on CBSNews that it will be going along fine and then switch back and repeat about thirty seconds to a minute of what was just broadcast.. Then it might flip and go forward into the next story or flip back and do that fairly regular and sometimes I will sit through it and other times, like last night, where I won't.. And I was wondering if anyone else has that happen?? I do notice it on other news sites like ABC as well.. anything that has a live feed (continuous "live" feed) on the news channels like that.. Is it my box or does this happen to anyone no matter what their box is.. Mine is a HD model (hard to call it old since it is going to be three years old this holiday season) but three years old is bordering on antique in this day in age of buy update to new the latest because that's just what you do..

Darnell

Re: CBSN

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Are you sure the Roku has an "Excellent" connection to the internet source, if you're using Wifi? You may be having some buffering side effects.

Best is wired, but otherwise a WiFi signal showing to be "Excellent" should work without so many buffering issues.

Also, does it only happen when you first start the stream, or continue to occur at any time? Sometimes, there may be initial buffering, but that usually clears up in under a minute.

WardFamily

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:26 am

Same issue with no other problems.
http://lindenalabama.net

stutch13
Topic Author

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:39 am

Darnell wrote:
Are you sure the Roku has an "Excellent" connection to the internet source, if you're using Wifi? You may be having some buffering side effects.

Best is wired, but otherwise a WiFi signal showing to be "Excellent" should work without so many buffering issues.

Also, does it only happen when you first start the stream, or continue to occur at any time? Sometimes, there may be initial buffering, but that usually clears up in under a minute.

Usually happens in the first five minutes of watching.. It's like a time warp thing.. I can see that issue happening I guess and yes our internet is HORRIBLE at best.. My signal from the router varies greatly from excellent to good and poor.. More good and poor than excellent.. Thankfully it doesn't happen like that on Netflix or any entertainment site like that.. Weather Nation can do that once in a great while but almost never no matter how the signal is.. I don't have a choice on being hard wired to the internet, that is the old HD box, it is wi-fi exclusively.. Thanks for your help..

Darnell

Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:09 pm

stutch13 wrote:
Darnell wrote:

Usually happens in the first five minutes of watching.. It's like a time warp thing.. I can see that issue happening I guess and yes our internet is HORRIBLE at best.. My signal from the router varies greatly from excellent to good and poor.. More good and poor than excellent.. Thankfully it doesn't happen like that on Netflix or any entertainment site like that.. Weather Nation can do that once in a great while but almost never no matter how the signal is.. I don't have a choice on being hard wired to the internet, that is the old HD box, it is wi-fi exclusively.. Thanks for your help..

Some apps handle bandwidth issues better than others. All depends on the app and who made it.

Bee

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:32 pm

The CBSN Live stream is only half size covering the top left corner. The clips are still full screen.

Roku 2 XD
Software version 7.0 Build 9037
Display type 16x9 widescreen

Bee

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:15 pm

CBS News opened a case for me and assigned it a number. That was a week ago.

Would someone at Roku please tell CBSN to fix this problem?

DarkJedi

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 am

I have at times experienced this with other apps, not CBSN however. In fact it's one of the reasons I like CBSN so much. When it does happen I chalk it up to buffering. I will also say it happens lots less since I upgraded my internet speed a couple months ago.

FX4

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:29 am

I observed this problem from time to time with CBSN but not in quite a while now. Oddly this morning CBSN is down hard for me. I can't get it to pull the live stream.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

socantra

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:48 am

Working fine (and full screen) on Roku3 (4200) here.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

Bee

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:17 pm

socantra wrote:

CBSN Live is still half size and always so unless I change a correct setting on the Roku to the wrong setting, then it is full screen. CBSN should support the correct Roku setting, as other channels do and as CBSN used to. CBS News Support has opened a case but is not communicating with me.

socantra

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:45 pm

Bee wrote:
socantra wrote:

CBSN Live is still half size and always so unless I change a correct setting on the Roku to the wrong setting, then it is full screen. CBSN should support the correct Roku setting, as other channels do and as CBSN used to. CBS News Support has opened a case but is not communicating with me.

Still working fine (and full screen) here. No special settings. I go to CBSN on my Roku3 (4200x) and it works just fine. I don't doubt that you are having problems, but it is definitely NOT universal.

Bee

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:30 pm

socantra wrote:
Still working fine (and full screen) here. No special settings. I go to CBSN on my Roku3 (4200x) and it works just fine. I don't doubt that you are having problems, but it is definitely NOT universal.

It is not universal because we are using different Roku settings. There's an issue with CBSN Live and the Roku setting that I'm supposed to use for my TV. All other channels work with that setting, just not CBSN Live. What would you do if CBSN didn't fully support your Roku?

FX4

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:31 pm

I found my problem. I have two load balanced internet connections. One of my modems was failing so it was not CBSN at all.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

socantra

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Bee wrote:
What would you do if CBSN didn't fully support your Roku?

Watch something else. It is NOT a paid channel and I don't know that they are under any imperative to fully support your Roku. It is a wonderful bonus and I have greatly enjoyed having it since it showed up, but I do not feel entitled to a full size live stream of CBSN. I sure do enjoy it though, since I cut the cord almost five years age. :)