Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

naustin
Topic Author

Roku needs Dolby license for DD+

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:53 am

I love my Roku2 and Roku3, but as more & more channels like Netflix & Vudiu use Dolby Digital plus for 5.1 transmission, the Roku fails next to the Amazon Fire. Why? Amazon has a Dolby license & an optical output so DD+ is converted to DD5.1 output via the optical connection. Currently Roku without a Dolby license just "passes" the DD+ signal as is via the hdmi output, and if your device can't read DD+ you get nothing. Optical can't pass DD+ so its output must be converted by a Dolby license holder to DD 5.1.

I don't like the interface on the Fire, but with more & more shows going to DD+ the issue is getting critical with my Rokus. I'd gladly pay more for new/upgraded Rokus to get a Dolby license and a optical output. Thanks for letting me voice my frustrations on the eve of the new Apple TV launch. :roll:

scyber

Re: Roku needs Dolby license for DD+

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:24 pm

While I understand it is frustrating if your hardware does not support it, the simple fact is that most (all?) 5.1 hardware sold for the last few years supports DD+ via HDMI. So the segment of users that require DD+ decoding over optical is no longer growing. I can't imagine Roku extending much effort/expense for a shrinking market like that.

captivater

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:19 pm

scyber wrote:
While I understand it is frustrating if your hardware does not support it, the simple fact is that most (all?) 5.1 hardware sold for the last few years supports DD+ via HDMI. So the segment of users that require DD+ decoding over optical is no longer growing. I can't imagine Roku extending much effort/expense for a shrinking market like that.

False & True.

I think that alot of the decision about whether to pay for the licensing and extra silicone comes down to the overwhelming variation on what manufacturers support. Most TVs won't even pass through the raw (DD or DD+) audio signal from the HDMI connection through to their optical port. Most new soundbars don't even support DD+ including the widely popular Vizios and Sonos. Most all clunky AVRs have support though, if that's your thing.

Further marginalizing this issue is the percentage of users who will actually use the feature IF their setup of equipment supports it. Too many IFs.

But with three tiers of hardware, Roku could put something like this into their top-tier offering. Just saying, I'd swap the "voice-control" remote for a DD transcoder any day for the following five years.

theuser86

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Solution: get a new legit AVR which decodes 5.1 DD+ audio. It's the audio of the future, and of the now I guess.

mike_ekim

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:05 pm

theuser86 wrote:
Solution: get a new legit AVR which decodes 5.1 DD+ audio. It's the audio of the future, and of the now I guess.

Or an old receiver. I got mine at Goodwill for $40, it has HDMI and DD+. It's not like you need to drop $400 to get "today's audio, today!", you can check out a pawn shop.

captivater

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:32 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
theuser86 wrote:

Or an old receiver. I got mine at Goodwill for $40, it has HDMI and DD+. It's not like you need to drop $400 to get "today's audio, today!", you can check out a pawn shop.

Problem with the AVRs is they won't play the 5.1 audio well w/o all 5 speakers connected.

$40 receiver from GoodWill
+ 5 speakers
+ a powered subwoofer
+ Wiring
+ a place to hide wires.
+ a room big enough for all that

or

$50 refurbished 2.1 soundbar with DD decoder that distributes the 5.1 audio between the two channels

Heyitsrick

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:15 am

captivater wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:
theuser86 wrote:

Problem with the AVRs is they won't play the 5.1 audio well w/o all 5 speakers connected.

$40 receiver from GoodWill
+ 5 speakers
+ a powered subwoofer
+ Wiring
+ a place to hide wires.
+ a room big enough for all that

or

$50 refurbished 2.1 soundbar with DD decoder that distributes the 5.1 audio between the two channels

OR, just output stereo from the Roku instead of 5.1 audio. Don't know why anyone would want mixed 5.1 audio in two channels.

captivater

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:59 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
OR, just output stereo from the Roku instead of 5.1 audio. Don't know why anyone would want mixed 5.1 audio in two channels.

Why use a surge protector? A two-outlet box-in-the-wall is enough.
Why use a full HD screen on a laptop? 768p is legible.
Why get a tablet when you have a smartphone? They both do essentially the same thing.

You do realize that response is poorly thought.
The Dolby decoding makes a difference, hence the reason why some manufacturers pay for the license.

Attempting to downplay the opinion shared by those of us that want this feature hardly furthers the discussion.
If you disagree, state your reasons.

naustin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 am

theuser86 wrote:

No the simple solution is to buy the Amazon Fire box for 99 USD. I would prefer Roku updated their tier 3 (high in) box instead. I really like the Roku interface but the hardware is now subpar.

naustin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:05 am

Heyitsrick wrote:

That would indeed be silly. I want 5.1 audio for a 5.1 channels of output. If I wanted stereo I wouldn't have started this post. Guess we will see what the new Apple TV has spec wise today.

naustin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:21 am

Smartphones & tablets? Come on let's stay on topic. Dolby Digital Plus and converting to a optical output on the high in roku. Go highjack someone else's topic. Thanks for the courtesy.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 am

I'm not in favor of the cost of a Roku device increasing so that a small number of users can use a limited feature, particularly if there are other ways for them to accomplish their goals. I'm not interested in the cost going up so I can fund it. Nothing personal, merely economics.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

naustin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:38 am

Basil wrote:
I'm not in favor of the cost of a Roku device increasing so that a small number of users can use a limited feature, particularly if there are other ways for them to accomplish their goals. I'm not interested in the cost going up so I can fund it. Nothing personal, merely economics.
I wholeheartedly agree. The beauty of modern electronics, is newer models generally offer more features so people will "upgrade". They may or may not have a price increase. Amazon Fire TV does not have a problem offering these additional features for 99 USD. Competition breeds a better product at a fair price.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:50 am

Basil wrote:

naustin wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree. The beauty of modern electronics, is newer models generally offer more features so people will "upgrade". They may or may not have a price increase. Amazon Fire TV does not have a problem offering these additional features for 99 USD. Competition breeds a better product at a fair price.

One major difference between Amazon and Roku regarding their respective devices is that Amazon isn't quite so dependent on the profit of Fire TV sales. While not a loss leader, it serves more to drive users to purchase content (or subscribe to Prime) than be the primary profit center. Roku doesn't get money from selling content (apart from getting 20% of in-app purchases). Increased cost isn't so easily absorbed by Roku.

Regardless, I understand it would be beneficial to you, and I see you submitted an entry in the Feature Requests thread.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

naustin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:56 am

captivater wrote:
But with three tiers of hardware, Roku could put something like this into their top-tier offering. Just saying, I'd swap the "voice-control" remote for a DD transcoder any day for the following five years.

Agreed my Vizio 5.1 soundbar accepts DD5.1 but can't decode DD+ 5.1 Same issue with the Sonos 5.1 systems.